X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

5 channel amp for two channel audio?

Can a 5 channel amplifier be used with excellent results on a 2 channel system?

I was thinking four of the five channels could be used to bi-wire two speakers, then the fifth could be used for a sub.

Quality of equipment the same, maybe it would be more or less efficient or better in some way, versus a two channel amp.

Appreciate any and all input.........Thanks.
    ......Pat
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I was also wondering about use two channels to run one speaker.
    B&W

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Sure, many have done this, 4 channels of a 5 channel amp to bi-wire the fronts. Purists may disagree, and to some extent I would agree, less is better, as far as what a components function is. Thus the reason for the mono block amp to begin with. I had just went thru this and opted for 2 dual channels to bi-amp the fronts, one 2 channel runs the left front, and the other runs the right front. That left my 5 channel to run the center, surrounds and rear centers. It made a big enough difference by bi-amping to opt for this.

Comment

• Patt
        • Feb 2005

Thanks Guy's,

I have read in the past there may be advantages to bi-wiring and using seperate amplification with speakers especially with the big boys and their high dollar gear. My Studio #40's can use all the help they can get, they are really struggling with the 100 watt stereo reciever.

Sure one amp will work with one or more speakers but when it comes to amps I like to think the more the merrier.

Also heard power is not everything and quality play's a big role too.

RaceCar, Two channels for one speaker......bi-amping all the way :T
        Last edited by Patt; 06 March 2005, 21:45 Sunday.
        ......Pat

Comment

• Stockinv
          • Jan 2005

5 Channel Amp

I plan on using a 5 channel amp to bi-wire the center channel and use the remaining channels for the rears and sub. Is this a good strategy?

Comment

• OakIris
            • Dec 2003

I will be using my 5-channel power amp to run my mains - passive bi-amping and biwiring - and my center speaker. Still waiting to receive my new speaker wires to finish this set up. My rear speakers and sub are being powered by my receiver. Everything sounds a bit better now, I am hoping for "great" things once everything is set up. Of course, it could all be sounding better because that is my expectation - the power of suggestion?? :roll:

Anyway, I wanted to improve my 2-channel music sonics -CDs and analog - and it certainly sounds better to me.

Comment

• Patt
              • Feb 2005

Thanks Oak,

I guess as long as the speakers are being fed power then it may not matter if it is two, three five or seven.

For the longest time I was thinking about a two channel amp but if a smokin' good deal on a five channel came along it could be something to consider.
              ......Pat

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The only potential issue is that the power supply may run out of gas with higher SLPs. Subs tend to draw quite a bit of power. So loud transients may cause problems. It's best to give subwoofers their own amps.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• OakIris
                  • Dec 2003

Thomas - I use a powered sub, not a passive one, though I have heard that passive subs are better - no interference from an internal power supply. I just purchased a Rocket UFW-10 and find it very musical. (And it's quite pretty to look at too. ) I guess I assumed that a powered sub did not require any power from the amp. Am I wrong about this? ops:

Holly

Comment

• Patt
                    • Feb 2005

Hi Holly,

You are right, my sub has a built in amp too, (svs cylinder) which does not draw hardly any power from the reciever. I use the speaker binding post's and not the low level sub out like most A/V reciever's.

From what I gather, the finish on those Rocket sub's are nice looking....Enjoy.

P.S. Thomas is way sharper than me on this stuff. :W
                    ......Pat

Comment

• mark4x4
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
                      Sure, many have done this, 4 channels of a 5 channel amp to bi-wire the fronts. Purists may disagree, and to some extent I would agree, less is better, as far as what a components function is. Thus the reason for the mono block amp to begin with. I had just went thru this and opted for 2 dual channels to bi-amp the fronts, one 2 channel runs the left front, and the other runs the right front. That left my 5 channel to run the center, surrounds and rear centers. It made a big enough difference by bi-amping to opt for this.
                      Soundhound,

If I understand you correctly, you're using one 2 channel amp to power your left speaker and another 2 channel amp to power your right speaker. Wouldn't it be better to use one of the 2 channel amps to power the bass to both speakers and use the other to power the highs to both speakers? This would give you a true bi-amp and you would double up the power per channel.

Correct me if I'm wrong,
                      mark4x4

Comment

• hidefdvd
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mark4x4
                        Soundhound,

If I understand you correctly, you're using one 2 channel amp to power your left speaker and another 2 channel amp to power your right speaker. Wouldn't it be better to use one of the 2 channel amps to power the bass to both speakers and use the other to power the highs to both speakers? This would give you a true bi-amp and you would double up the power per channel.

Correct me if I'm wrong,
                        mark4x4
                        Wouldn't using a monoblock design 5 channel amp to power the speakers in bi-amp mode be the same as using two seperate 2channel amps?

Comment

• Chuck G
                          • Feb 2003

Actually, it would be better than using 2 seperate 2 channel amps unless the 2 channel ones were mono block design. I use a Sherbourn 5/1500a exactly for biamping my front mains. You have very few 5 channel mono block amps (Bryston and Sherbourn maybe a couple of others that are priced sky high).
                          Chuck

Comment

• mark4x4
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by hidefdvd
                            Wouldn't using a monoblock design 5 channel amp to power the speakers in bi-amp mode be the same as using two seperate 2channel amps?
                            From my understanding the only problem with using a 5 channel amp is that each channels usually shares one power supply. From what i've been told that using 2 2 channel amps creates the possibility of increased cross-talk. The best way to bi-amp (I've only been told this, I've have not tried this myself) is to use an active crossover and run 2 mono blocks per side. This would give you 4 mono blocks total. One configuration that seems to work well is to use a solid state amp for the bass and a tube amp for the highs.

I'm currently using an Aragon 8008 MKII with is a dual mono design that put out 200 wpc into 8 ohms and 400wpc into 4 ohms. I'm thinking about using 2 mono block amps (Aragon Palladium 1K 400 wpc into 8 ohms) and no active crossover. This would only give me the benefit of doubling my power output from 200wpc to 400wpc only, I don't see any other benefit in going in this direction. I'm using Aerial 10T's for my front mains and they require power, more the better. I'm still trying to decide which config would be the most cost effective way of increasing my power while improving the sound.

mark4x4

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"