• Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Gimme advice on TT's

Hey duders!

Well I love vinyl......

This being said....I wanna spend around 1g----2gs....

Present ideas......

I am thinking Rega P3.....with a shure Vx15 cartridge.....or an Elyss

Maybe a Goldring....

I love the look to the ClearAudio's

What would be your suggestions ?

Here's my 2 channel rig...

Source : Copland CDA 822
    Integrated Amp...with phono stage : Plinius 8200 MKII
    Speakers : Pro Ac 2.5's

Thanks guys....and David!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bammer, (you knew I'd be on this one pretty fast : ) I was looking at Regas and surprisingly wound up with the Nottingham Analog Horizon, Rega RB250 tonearm with a Grado Sonata Reference cartridge. The total price was $1,500 US. The performance is everything I ever wanted. I don't have time to elaborate right now, but I'll be back. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
      Bammer, (you knew I'd be on this one pretty fast : ) I was looking at Regas and surprisingly wound up with the Nottingham Analog Horizon, Rega RB250 tonearm with a Grado Sonata Reference cartridge. The total price was $1,500 US. The performance is everything I ever wanted. I don't have time to elaborate right now, but I'll be back. . . .

Come Back!!!!!!!!! :B

The thing was with the Nottingham was it is a pretty expensive table with an RB250 :E .....Cripes I was expecting a RB300 at that price so I brushed it off........but now...I will have a listen!!!!

So you say sound wise it rules ain....!

Gimme mo'!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Bam!

I have had a Rega P3 for several years now with a Grado Platinum cartridge (actually, I started with the Rega Planar 3, but got the factory P3 upgrade, so what is really different between mine and the new ones is the shape of the plinth). I'm feeding the signal through a Lehmann Black Cube (Improved).

I can only say good things about the Rega. It tracks flawlessly, plays beautifully and although totally manual in operation (OK, the motor does spin the turntable) ;>) it is very easy to use. There's a lot to be said for simplicity in design. I have no plans to replace it.

That said, if you can afford a more expensive rig than the Rega P3 and cartridge, (say, $1500 US instead of $1000 US) I would take a real close look at the Nottingham Horizon in preference to more expensive Regas. I've witnessed it in operation, and have to agree with David (paraphrasing) that its performance is probably everything you'd ever want. The Sonata cartridge is one step up in the the Grado line from the Platinum cartridge I am using and has all of its great qualities, only more so (which it bloody well should, for $200 more). :>)

You really can't go wrong either way. The Rega P3 is a tried and true high end bargain. It is by no means a "make do" compromise, but rather a fully satisfying music machine. The Nottingham LOOKS really cool and is a superlative performer in its own right. It will garner "oohs" and "ahhs" even before you play anything, and people won't even make those sounds when they hear how beautifully it plays (they'll keep quiet so they can hear the music). :>)

Have fun!

Burke
        Last edited by Burke Strickland; 10 November 2004, 17:28 Wednesday. Reason: Correct a typo, as if Bam! cares about those. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Gimme advice on TT's
          Get a Direct Injection one like this :B :

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
            Bam!

I have had a Rega P3 for several years now with a Grado Platinum cartridge (actually, I started with the Rega Planar 3, but got the factory P3 upgrade, so what is really different between mine and the new ones is the shape of the plinth). I'm feeding the signal through a Lehmann Black Cube (Improved).

I can only say good things about the Rega. It tracks flawlessly, plays beautifully and although totally manual in operation (OK, the motor does spin the turntable) ;>) it is very easy to use. There's a lot to be said for simplicity in design. I have no plans to replace it.

That said, if you can afford a more expensive rig than the Rega P3 and cartridge, (say, $1500 US instead of $1000 US) I would take a real close look at the Nottingham Horizon in preference to more expensive Regas. I've witnessed it in operation, and have to agree with David (paraphrasing) that its performance is probably everything you'd ever want. The Sonata cartridge is one step up in the the Grado line from the Platinum cartridge I am using and has all of its great qualities, only more so (which it bloody well should, for $200 more). :>)

You really can't go wrong either way. The Rega P3 is a tried and true high end bargain. It is by no means a "make do" compromise, but rather a fully satisfying music machine. The Nottingham LOOKS really cool and is a superlative performer in its own right. It will garner "oohs" and "ahhs" even before you play anything, and people won't even make those sounds when they hear how beautifully it plays (they'll keep quiet so they can hear the music). :>)

Have fun!

Burke
            Thanks for that Burke...!

Well I shall go have a listen...and then see how much of a deal they can do fo' me!

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Funny... when I think "TT", I either think of "Twin Turbo", or "Tactile Transducer".
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Bam, I'm swamped right now, so I'll just have to throw another nugget. . .

The US MSRP for the Horizon with the RB250 tonearm is $1,000. The Grado lists for $500.

In a 5-way shootout in the Feb. 2003 issue of Stereophile, including TTs from Sota, Project and Rega, Michael Fremer wrote "The Horizon delivered 'touch' and 'feel' that the others, as good as they were, only hinted at. . . where most of the tables produced a slightly glazed sound compared to far more expensive models, the Horizon mimicked the sound of multi-thousand-dollar rigs. . ."

Gotcha interested yet?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                  Bam, I'm swamped right now, so I'll just have to throw another nugget. . .

The US MSRP for the Horizon with the RB250 tonearm is $1,000. The Grado lists for $500.

In a 5-way shootout in the Feb. 2003 issue of Stereophile, including TTs from Sota, Project and Rega, Michael Fremer wrote "The Horizon delivered 'touch' and 'feel' that the others, as good as they were, only hinted at. . . where most of the tables produced a slightly glazed sound compared to far more expensive models, the Horizon mimicked the sound of multi-thousand-dollar rigs. . ."

Gotcha interested yet?
                  David! You are not nice :M GIMME MO'!!!!!!!!!!

:B

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"