X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Listening tests

Give this site http://www.klippel.de/aura/default.html a try and see how far you can get. On my work PC with a pair of 10 year old panasonic headphones I get to -18 dB. I'll have to try them with a pair of nicer headphones to see if it makes a difference or not.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Cool... I could hear the distortion to -12db on my work PC, cheap HK speakers and my Beyerdynamic headphones plugged into the HK speakers. I made a lucky guess at -15db but couldn't hear a difference at that level. Probably more a limitation of my PC's audio capability than my ears.

I botched up once at -12db because I accidentally clicked "A is distorted" instead of "play A". The buttons are too close together.

I may plug my tube amp directly into the PC and see if that improves my "score"...

I made it to -24 with my tubicle amp plugged into the line-out on the PC. It was tough past -15db or so though.

Comment

• ajpoe
      • Jul 2004

My computer at home is running through my DAC1. I'll have to give it a test when I get there. I'll post my results.

AJ
      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• AndrewM
        • Oct 2000

I finally missed on -24 through my cheap work speakers (and only just barely), I'll try again at home as well where I have a little more resolution on the computer speakers and can turn the volume up a little higher. Cool test.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

I missed at -30 with my ratshack cans. I'll plug in my sennsheisers and see if that makes a difference at home.
          Listening to the Tracy Chapman track it wasn't always obvious with the guitar intro but was easier to hear once the vocal started.
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Interesting I just tried a co-workers Grado SR80 phones on my PC and managed to get to -30dB with those rather easily so the equipment does matter a great deal.

Comment

• ajpoe
              • Jul 2004

I just made it to -30 through my setup... I was able to tell easiest by the beginning of the clips.

AJ
              AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

I made it to -30dB consistantly with my Panasonic cans. But could not distinguish -33dB correctly. I did get -33dB correct afterward, but it was maybe 50/50

For Fun, I used my Plantronics multimedia PC mike/headphones combo and could only make it to -18/-21dB, so it would seem a person is limited by the resolution of the equipment as well.
                Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

My wife Christine just took the test and could only make it to -15dB...

She said afterward

"See, when you say 'I can't belive you can't hear the difference in that', I really can't" :B

Maybe that will cover and justify Higher fidelity upgrades for me now.. I can just say,

"Oooh that sounds terrible, I have to upgrade, I know you can't hear the difference, but honey, it's driving me crazy... I need new speakers, or more power to fix that" :twisted:
                  Bing

Comment

• Kemp
                    • Nov 2003

I made it to -33db on my standard Mecer computer speakers. It is amazing to see how few people make it past -24db. It was interesting and good fun.
                    Marius

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"