X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KnightsOfNi
    • Feb 2010

How to. Trim veneer for speaker holes

One questions asked many times on this forum is how to trim the veneer smoothly around speaker holes when the speakers are flush mounted.
    The problem is, because the recesses can be as shallow as 0.100" or so, traditional flush trim bits do not work.
    So what are the options?
    1. Cut the holes after veneering. (no good if you need to rout the inside to let the speakers breathe)
    2. Use a rabbeting bit in a router to cut the recess
    3. Use a modified solid carbide flush trim bit

Of all the suggestions made from the builders here Blogs is the one that I use.
    So to help other beginners like me I thought I would explain the process.

Ok so my speakers have been veneered and I need to cut the holes nice and smooth.
    First I make a rough cut inside the hole somewhere. I used to make a nice neat hole as a starting point to reduce routing, but I discovered it was unnecessary.
    (If your veneer chips or splits easier you may need to cut closer)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030325-2.webp
Views:	322
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	941818

I then use a standard flush trim bit to cut down to the hole. You could probabaly use the carbide bit but I want to save it just for the recesses

Name:	P1030326-2-1.webp
Views:	163
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	941819

This will get you to this

Name:	P1030332-2.webp
Views:	166
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	941820

From the initial cutting you could get a build up of dust in the gap so I scrape it out carefully

Name:	P1030329-2.webp
Views:	167
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	941821

You then need to switch to the modified solid carbide flush trim bit.
    The bit comes with a domed head, you are going to need to grind it flat, then remove some of the thickness of the bearing.

Name:	43216pc_1l.webp
Views:	161
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	941822

How much? The bearing part needs to be slightly thinner than the shallowest recess you need to make.
    In my case the port flare was the shallowest so I left about 0.110". You do not need to measure it like I did, by eye is fine.
    Discaimer! Grinding tungsten carbide sucks! I replaced my wheel with a silicon carbide wheel (The Green one) to speed up the process, but it still took time.
    When you are done it should look like this

Name:	P1030335-2.webp
Views:	165
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	941823

Name:	P1030334-2.webp
Views:	164
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	941824

You need to set your depth on the router so that the end of the bit does not hit the bottom of the recess. The bearing part needs to fit between the recess and the veneer. Mine was close but it worked fine.
    Then all you need to do is run the router around the recess edge a quick sand and you are done!

Name:	P1030336-2.webp
Views:	170
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	941825

Name:	P1030339-2.webp
Views:	174
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	941826

I hope this is of help to some out there.
    If you have any more suggestions regarding this subject, please feel free to add to this thread.
    Regards
    Knights
    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 21:39 Friday. Reason: Update image location
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

Thank you. That's a very nice and clear explanation of how to trim the veneer. Do you find it necessary to use blue tape on the veneer to keep it from splintering or is just a sharp bit sufficient? Also, I don't have a grinding wheel. Do you think a belt sander could be used to grind down the tip? I kind of doubt it, but I would like to know if anyone has tried this since I do have a belt sander.

-Bob
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• jbateman
      • May 2005

It would take less time to grind the bit if you started off with this one:

Name:	v124-0412_p.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	941827
      Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 21:44 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
        • Feb 2010

I did not use blue tape but I can see it may be a good idea on more brittle veneers.
        Actually, I used tape everywhere when I first started but found it largely unecassary, I only use it now to protect adjacent areas when gluing or sanding.
        My thought on the sander is that you probably would remove some material but you would probably destroy the belt.
        I did try sanding discs but they did not last long.
        That dado bit is a great idea if you can find one.
        I will be keeping mine in a very safe place, I don't want to do it again 8O
        Regards
        Knights

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

Ah the memories.... :roll:

I spent far more time hemming and hawing, thinking too much, etc for this very issue a while back. Found the short dado trim bit, but it was out of stock at the only place that seemed to have one, and was not due for several weeks.

Talked myself out of grinding one down, since I figured it would be at least as bad as you described...

Finally bit the bullet and did the open hole with the flush trim bit, didn't have any coffee that day, thought some meditative mind quieting thoughts, and a fresh Xacto knife and went at it real slow... :T Actually went very well, and looked great. Felt I'd worried a lot for nothing. It was a striped African Mahogany, paperbacked, BTW.

A note for those who will use blue tape or such, watch out for pulling it off with the grain!! I used it when flush trimming the box edge veneer, and when I first pulled off the piece going with it, it actually PULLED UP SOME GRAIN from the veneer! 8O I wasn't expecting that! Luckily it wasn't a major disaster. Pulling across the grain, no problem. Your species may vary and all that...

Comment

• numberoneoppa
            • Sep 2009

This week marks the new lunar year, the year of the rabbeting bit. =)
            -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by KnightsOfNi
              You then need to switch to the modified solid carbide flush trim bit.
              The bit comes with a domed head, you are going to need to grind it flat, then remove some of the thickness of the bearing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	43216pc_1l.webp Views:	1 Size:	3.2 KB ID:	941822

How much? The bearing part needs to be slightly thinner than the shallowest recess you need to make.
              In my case the port flare was the shallowest so I left about 0.110". You do not need to measure it like I did, by eye is fine.
              Discaimer! Grinding tungsten carbide sucks! I replaced my wheel with a silicon carbide wheel (The Green one) to speed up the process, but it still took time.

Yeah, I don't know what kind of grinder you have, but I tried grinding down one of those carbide bits, and it just laughed at me.
              So I usually just use a very sharp knife and go slowly. It does work surprisingly well, in my experience. No power tools involved, though
              Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 21:41 Friday. Reason: Update quote
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Undefinition
                Yeah, I don't know what kind of grinder you have, but I tried grinding down one of those carbide bits, and it just laughed at me.
                So I usually just use a very sharp knife and go slowly. It does work surprisingly well, in my experience. No power tools involved, though
                Yes it laughed at me too!
                But I laughed back, for about 3 hrs on and off :E over the span of 1 month in between doing other things.
                The key is using the proper wheel. I used a standard 6" bench grinder with a silicon carbide wheel in it.
                It is the green colour grinding wheel, and was arround $20.
                It definitely tested my patience I can tell you.
                The most important thing now is to not loose the bit!
                Thank you for your additional comments.
                Regards Knights
                PS your Overnight Sensations are the next build on my list :T

Comment

• Drew_V
                  • Jan 2011

Good advice. I really like the dado trim cut bit. And pretty cheap on top of it.

On a related note, I was wondering if someone could point me to a nice flush-cut bit for trimming the front and rear baffles flush. The problem is that the front baffle is 1-1/4" thick. Which cutter would I use? I have both a 1/2" and a 1/4" collet size.

Comment

• Bill Schneider
                    • Sep 2007

I use this Woodcraft bit that has a 2" cutting length...

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

The picture on the page shows a shorter one, but in reality it's longer. I've used it on a double-thickness 1-1/2" baffle with no problem.

EDIT: Veering back on topic, Woodcraft also markets a dado trim bit made by Whiteside. It ships direct from the manufacturer, and is usally a non-stock item in their retail stores. If you order online, perhaps you could combine them into one order.

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.
                    Last edited by Bill Schneider; 05 February 2011, 10:30 Saturday.
                    My audio projects:
                    http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• Drew_V
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bill Schneider
                      I use this Woodcraft bit that has a 2" cutting length...

The picture on the page shows a shorter one, but in reality it's longer. I've used it on a double-thickness 1-1/2" baffle with no problem.

Sweet! That's exactly what I need. Thanks!

Comment

• Robert F.
                        • Apr 2007

Grinding carbide is easy IF you have diamond grinding wheels. I lucked out and just used the Deckel machine at work and it took about five minutes from setup to done.

Robert

Comment

• FlashJim
                          • Apr 2006

I've bought from Holbren in the past and have had nothing but great service. They have the Whiteside SC28C for $7.60 ($9.55 shipped). They carry the entire Whiteside line with similar discounts.

Holbren
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"