It's time for a Statement announcing my latest project..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahaik
    • Feb 2007

Thank you again Jim,
    I was planning on going to the Hi-Fi show in manhattan the last satturday, but it didn't work out.
    I would love to hear more details about your friends listenning impressions after trying them at his house.
    Also, I didn't know those Tang Bang where considered such good drivers.
    You mentioned the RS-3 Ways before. Which ones did you refer to the ones with the 8" daytons or Chris's 10" daytons ?

Asi.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ahaik
      Thank you again Jim,
      I was planning on going to the Hi-Fi show in manhattan the last satturday, but it didn't work out.
      I would love to hear more details about your friends listenning impressions after trying them at his house.
      Also, I didn't know those Tang Bang where considered such good drivers.
      You mentioned the RS-3 Ways before. Which ones did you refer to the ones with the 8" daytons or Chris's 10" daytons ?

Asi.
      Asi,

I've not been a Tangband fan either. They always struck me as a cheaper alternative to better drivers but not with out performance compromises. The W4-1337S were originally brought to my attention by Curt and then Jon posted about them and ran distortion tests which proved them to be an excellent low distortion driver. After posting the Statement design, John K. (not Zaph) posted that he is going to use them in a design he is creating too. They are an excellent driver with exceptional clarity and detail. I'm impressed with them

I was referring to the RS 3-ways with the dual 8" drivers. I had them in house until Saturday when they and the Natalie P's found new homes with a couple different gentleman that follow this board. Yep, I'm making new converts to DIY. They brought a friend with them that wants to build the Statements. Plus, more folks interested in attending this fall's Iowa DIY event. The more the merrier!

I've not heard the 3-ways Chris created. We couldn't talk him into renting a u-Haul to bring them to the Chicago DIY event in 2005.

Jim

Comment

• ahaik
        • Feb 2007

Jim,

Very interesting to hear about the Tang Bang drivers.
        I did build the Modula MT :T , Microbe (with the RS28A tweeter) and the RS-3 way center channel with Dennis Xover design, my brother built the Modula MTM, both me and my brother have descent equipment (I have parasound).
        We are both EXTREMELY happy with the sound quality. The Modula MT's sound much better then my Paradigm Studio 100 V.2's IMHO. So i'm very curious to know how the Statements sound compared to the Natali P and the RS-3-ways.

I was thinking of building Chris's towers, but could not find enough information about how they sound. You see this is a one shot deal for me :k> , I am planning to sell the Paradigm for my next build.

BTW, where does the DIY event takes place usually ?

Thanks again,
        Asi.

Comment

• aprilia88
          • Oct 2006

Are the bamboo versions close enough to be considered without changing the crossover? I know that the specs are almost exactly the same. other than freq. response. I only ask because I have six sitting from a failed project.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Jim,

Very interesting to hear about the Tang Bang drivers.
            I did build the Modula MT :T , Microbe (with the RS28A tweeter) and the RS-3 way center channel with Dennis Xover design, my brother built the Modula MTM, both me and my brother have descent equipment (I have parasound).
            We are both EXTREMELY happy with the sound quality. The Modula MT's sound much better then my Paradigm Studio 100 V.2's IMHO. So i'm very curious to know how the Statements sound compared to the Natali P and the RS-3-ways.

I was thinking of building Chris's towers, but could not find enough information about how they sound. You see this is a one shot deal for me :k> , I am planning to sell the Paradigm for my next build.

BTW, where does the DIY event takes place usually ?

Thanks again,
            Asi.
            Hi Asi,

I've built the Modula M/T, Natalie P's, and RS 3-way plus any number of other really high quality speakers that were custom designs by Selah Audio and Dennis Murphy. All of these were fine speakers with sound quality that compared to commercial speakers costing many times the cost to build them. Several have won awards for best sound in their respective classes at the DIY events. In addition some were compared at the DIY events to very expensive commercial speakers and either tied or beat them for sound quality.

My reference for the last three years has been Selah Audio line arrays pictured in my avatar. I'm not going to give you a comparison to them because they are a killer speaker but I will tell you that the statements easily, and I mean very easily sound much better than all of the conventional speakers I listed and I like the mids of the Statements better than the line arrays. We're talking really high end sound.

Now, that's probably about the best feedback you'll get until September or October when the DIY events start to happen. There is and will be more feed back on Chris 3-way design until fall.

I live in Iowa and have hosted the Iowa event in 2004 and 2006. Co-hosted the 2006 event actually. Here's a link; http://home.mchsi.com/~dpeterson/Iowadiy.html I believe Doug Petersen is going to take the responsibility for the 2007 event here in Iowa. There will be a Nebraska event in August or September and the others that are held on the east coast and in Ohio will be in October if they follow previous years.

There is usually one in California too and sometimes in Texas.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aprilia88
              Are the bamboo versions close enough to be considered without changing the crossover? I know that the specs are almost exactly the same. other than freq. response. I only ask because I have six sitting from a failed project.
              That would be a question for Curt but I highly doubt that they would be drop in replacements for the W4's without extensive crossover redesign.

Jim

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                • Oct 2005

Dang Jim, you have me salivating and ready to place an order to build these things. I was considering 3 RS towers across the front for my upcoming new houses theater room, but now you have me leaning toward the statements.

I'm anxiously awaiting the BOM!

Comment

• ahaik
                  • Feb 2007

Jim,

I think I prefer to wait for further impressions of chris's 3 way towers before making my final decision, so for now I will have to exercise a little moving my Modula MT back and forth from the main stage to surround duties (I just can't enjoy listenning to music with the Paradigm anymore ).

I was hoping there would be a local DIY event (NY)... maybe someday.

I thank you very much for your help and hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Asi.

Comment

• cobbpa
                    • Apr 2005

So...Jim...it seems like this should come to Ohio for the PE meet. Just an idea, see how our soybean fields compare to Iowa's acres of corn ;-)

Maybe these could be my new gift to myself when I graduate college.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                      Dang Jim, you have me salivating and ready to place an order to build these things. I was considering 3 RS towers across the front for my upcoming new houses theater room, but now you have me leaning toward the statements.

I'm anxiously awaiting the BOM!
                      Wait no more... There is one change that I found today as I was ordering the drivers for the matching center channel, the Founteks now have a metal faceplate and are $89 each vs. $81, so a small change in price to $729 for parts.

Jim
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Jim,

I think I prefer to wait for further impressions of chris's 3 way towers before making my final decision, so for now I will have to exercise a little moving my Modula MT back and forth from the main stage to surround duties (I just can't enjoy listenning to music with the Paradigm anymore ).

I was hoping there would be a local DIY event (NY)... maybe someday.

I thank you very much for your help and hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Asi.
                        Hi Asi,

Not a waste and no problem.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cobbpa
                          So...Jim...it seems like this should come to Ohio for the PE meet. Just an idea, see how our soybean fields compare to Iowa's acres of corn ;-)

Maybe these could be my new gift to myself when I graduate college.
                          Actually, I have been to the PE event in the past but it is a 10 hour drive for me, so it's not an easy DIY event for me to attend. Of course it is an easier drive for folks that live in northern Ohio. Indiana and the Chicago area to shoot to Iowa for the "big" DIY event. We have a number of folks that come from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and even Florida and Texas that join us. Many from in state too of course.

Jim

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                            Wait no more... There is one change that I found today as I was ordering the drivers for the matching center channel, the Founteks now have a metal faceplate and are $89 each vs. $81, so a small change in price to $729 for parts.

Jim
                            Thanks Jim! :T

What's the difference between the Fountec NeoCd3 and the Neo3PDR that PE sells? Just curious because I get dealer pricing at PE so I would save a few bucks if they are the same. Somehow I doubt they are though.

Oh, and what did you use for ports?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Thanks Jim! :T

What's the difference between the Fountec NeoCd3 and the Neo3PDR that PE sells? Just curious because I get dealer pricing at PE so I would save a few bucks if they are the same. Somehow I doubt they are though.

Oh, and what did you use for ports?
                              The Neo3PDR and the Fountek NeoCD3.0 are completely different designs with few similarities. The BG Neo3 is a planar style which means it's closer to a Maggie and the Fountek is a true ribbon. Difference in construction, difference in response and a very big difference in crossover. It'd be like starting over.

If you can't tell, I'm not a planar fan but I do love ribbons. :T

Jim

EDIT: The port is the one PE sells that is 3" and comes in pieces. We used a flare on both ends with 1/4 of the tube which is about 4" long. Curt said the box was tuned to 24 Hz. It could easily be tuned lower but it would lean the mid bass somewhat.
                              Last edited by Jim Holtz; 14 May 2007, 17:29 Monday. Reason: Forgot the port question...

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                • Oct 2005

The Neo3PDR and the Fountek NeoCD3.0 are completely different designs with few similarities. The BG Neo3 is a planar style which means it's closer to a Maggie and the Fountek is a true ribbon. Difference in construction, difference in response and a very big difference in crossover. It'd be like starting over.

If you can't tell, I'm not a planar fan but I do love ribbons. :T

Jim

EDIT: The port is the one PE sells that is 3" and comes in pieces. We used a flare on both ends with 1/4 of the tube which is about 4" long. Curt said the box was tuned to 24 Hz. It could easily be tuned lower but it would lean the mid bass somewhat.
                                Wow, I must not have looked at those BG's very closely. ops:

It doesn't matter though, because I forgot that I had an account at Madisound too. I can see that these 2 accounts are going to get me into some trouble. Total cost of everything is only $592.84. 8O Just from hearing your impressions, this price seems almost too good to be true.

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

Wow, I must not have looked at those BG's very closely. ops:

It doesn't matter though, because I forgot that I had an account at Madisound too. I can see that these 2 accounts are going to get me into some trouble. Total cost of everything is only $592.84. 8O Just from hearing your impressions, this price seems almost too good to be true.
                                  Gotta love that $600 in parts will end up in a speaker that blows away $4000 commercial speakers. Only sacrifice is the blood and sweat to make it happen.

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Jim,

Just playing with SketchUp tonight. Nothing is probably correct, but if you want the file, it may be easier to modify something existing. PM your address.

(I'm probably going to screw a lot of people up with this, but we can fix that later.)
                                    Last edited by ---k---; 15 May 2007, 21:08 Tuesday. Reason: deleated old image.
                                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                      Jim,

Just playing with SketchUp tonight. Nothing is probably correct, but if you want the file, it may be easier to modify something existing. PM your address.

(I'm probably going to screw a lot of people up with this, but we can fix that later.)
                                      Ryan,

You did really good! Yes, please send it to me. No PM necessary. jim@jholtz.us

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

• augerpro
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2006

Jim there was talk that this TB was nearly the same thing as the Visiton Ti100. In fact I think it was you that was so impressed with Visiton? Anyway were you able to compare the two ever and why did you decide to go with the TB?
                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                        DriverVault
                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                                          Jim there was talk that this TB was nearly the same thing as the Visiton Ti100. In fact I think it was you that was so impressed with Visiton? Anyway were you able to compare the two ever and why did you decide to go with the TB?
                                          The Ti100 and the W4 are very similar but different. The W4 has a curvilinear cone vs. a straight cone on the Ti100 and the W4 has a NEO magnet vs. a conventional magnet on the Ti100. Both seem to have a fair amount of copper in the motor. The distortion tests are good for both but the W4 has a smoother and more extended frequency response. Actually, the W4 could be the more technically advanced driver when closely compared.

The clarity and detail were the two qualities that I was really impressed with when I heard the Ti100. The W4 shares those qualities. They both make excellent midrange drivers, IMHO.

The biggest difference I see and hear is the $75 plus price difference per driver. The W4 is a hands down winner in that regard.

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2005

Ryan,

You did really good! Yes, please send it to me. No PM necessary. jim@jholtz.us

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Jim
                                            Thanks Jim. I'm really just a hack with SketchUp. I only know a few of the basic commands, and have just used it for rough layout once or twice. I, like you, like the good old graph paper and pencil. But, when you have to keep playing with dimensions to get something to look just right, the computer comes in handy. You're speaker gave me a good reason to fire up it up and practice.

Your speakers got me thinking about using the wmtmw over a wwmtm for my next project. Hence, some of the sketching. Though, my wife said that your speakers "looked a little big", and had that frustrated look on her face. Then it was, "why do you want speakers that big???" I could only reply that they'll be 1/2 the size of my sub.

I'll email it tonight when I get home. If you post the driver to driver spacing, I can update that. Probably could even put some bracing in if you like.
                                            - Ryan

Comment

• rj45
                                              • Jun 2006

Is there any software that can model room response for a WWMTM versus a WMTMW layout? Everyone talks about floor bounce (an ceiling bounce), but does any SW model it?
                                              -Don

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                • Oct 2005

Your speakers got me thinking about using the wmtmw over a wwmtm for my next project. Hence, some of the sketching. Though, my wife said that your speakers "looked a little big", and had that frustrated look on her face. Then it was, "why do you want speakers that big???" I could only reply that they'll be 1/2 the size of my sub.
                                                My wife hated my Infinity towers when I got them. Now that I've built a sub and some NatP's with real wood instead of black vinyl, she doesn't care. As long as they look like fine furniture (or as close as my skills allow), size doens't matter anymore. :B

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Thanks Jim. I'm really just a hack with SketchUp. I only know a few of the basic commands, and have just used it for rough layout once or twice. I, like you, like the good old graph paper and pencil. But, when you have to keep playing with dimensions to get something to look just right, the computer comes in handy. You're speaker gave me a good reason to fire up it up and practice.

I'll email it tonight when I get home. If you post the driver to driver spacing, I can update that. Probably could even put some bracing in if you like.
                                                  Hi Ryan,

I'm working on cleaning up my layout. If you PM me with your email address I'll email you the layouts.

Thanks again for your help!

BTW, the size is what lead me to the name... Statements. When you walk in a room and see them, they make a Statement.

Jim

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

Hi Jim,

If you can give me a week or maybe two, I can probably find the time to draw those plans up for you.

They would be 2d drawings like you saw of my HOSS project preliminaries, not 3d's. I could provide you with a pdf for posting (or Tiff, jpg, gif, etc.) and/or an autocad dwg file that might allow others to take it and edit it to their liking.

You'd have to send me scans of your sketches, which I could import into the cad program as background to sort of draw over, which would make it a bit faster.

Regards,

Dan
                                                    Dan N.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dlneubec
                                                      Hi Jim,

If you can give me a week or maybe two, I can probably find the time to draw those plans up for you.

They would be 2d drawings like you saw of my HOSS project preliminaries, not 3d's. I could provide you with a pdf for posting (or Tiff, jpg, gif, etc.) and/or an autocad dwg file that might allow others to take it and edit it to their liking.

You'd have to send me scans of your sketches, which I could import into the cad program as background to sort of draw over, which would make it a bit faster.

Regards,

Dan
                                                      Hi Dan,

Thank you very, very much for the offer but Brian Walter also offered an Auto Cad 2-D drawing. That combined with Ryan's Sketch up image should provide more than enough info to build the cabinet.

I really appreciate the several offers of help I've received. It's a tribute to the people that are involved in this hobby. :T

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2005

Hey, don't give me too much credit. If yours weren't simimlar in size and shape to some I want to build, I wouldn't be helping you. :twisted:
                                                        - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2004

They're not *that* big...

Jim, there going to be a Chicago DIY event this year that you know of? I'm always excessively nervous about critical listening to my work. And I would need at least one helper to get these into a vehicle, even if I rented one. Also, do you think the W4's are worth twice the price of the RS150?

Ryan and JonW have heard my 3-ways, but only really were able to compare them to my MTM's (which are a bit more forward in the upper midrange and more laid back in the trebel) and to Ryan's Ascends.

Anyone that makes it up this far North of Chicago is welcome to swing by for a listen (assuming advance notice is given and all that).

Ryan, if these're starting to get big, I think you should get out the cardboard and mock up boxes to see how visual impact is and what gets the nod.
                                                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ahaik
                                                            • Feb 2007

Ok,
                                                            I decided, this is what I've been looking for. As soon as the sketches are published I will get to work :T

Comment

• ---k---
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2005

Chris,
                                                              I thought I once heard you say that you were an "Artist" and accustomed to critism? What is this nonsense about you now being excessively nervous. I've heard them, you have nothing to be nervous about.

As far as a review of the 3-ways, it has been awhile so about all I can say is: "I wish I could fit them in my room"

I don't think Jim's speakers are too big. I think it was the my wife's comment that followed them being too big that may be the bigger problem: "Where does it end???" I honestly told her, It Doesn't.

I've been thinking about mocking them up with cardboard and get the wife to sign off on them. I'm just not there yet. I haven't decided myself whether I want to trade height for depth. I was just playing with the sketches using Jim's first. I got a photo that I drop behind the model and stretch to the right scale. I could probably be talked into either, but that is another thread.

Back to Jim,
                                                              Like Chris said, would be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on the W4 v. RS150. Based on some of your initial comments, I was thinking that the W4 may be too revealing for my taste in music. And do you think it is the driver or the open back design?

And BTW, I really do like the looks. They do make a "Statement"
                                                              - Ryan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                They're not *that* big...

Jim, there going to be a Chicago DIY event this year that you know of? I'm always excessively nervous about critical listening to my work. And I would need at least one helper to get these into a vehicle, even if I rented one. Also, do you think the W4's are worth twice the price of the RS150?

Ryan and JonW have heard my 3-ways, but only really were able to compare them to my MTM's (which are a bit more forward in the upper midrange and more laid back in the trebel) and to Ryan's Ascends.

Anyone that makes it up this far North of Chicago is welcome to swing by for a listen (assuming advance notice is given and all that).

Ryan, if these're starting to get big, I think you should get out the cardboard and mock up boxes to see how visual impact is and what gets the nod.
                                                                Hi Chris,

I haven't heard of anything planned for Chicago yet but it is very early. I'm sure Dave won't try again. The logistics of putting on an event that far away from where he lives is daunting to say the least. Also, the format Dave tried worked fine if you had a vendor room but didn't work at all for DIY. The classes need to run back to back and be over by 5:00 or so. The crowd diminishes rapidly if there are breaks.

Another rant of mine, there weren't nearly enough speakers at Chicago! Actually, if I hadn't bought 3 pair, Curt brought two pair and Wayne brought 2 pair, the speakers at last years Iowa event would have been very sparse. A successful event has to have the support of the attendees in the form of DIY speakers.

Doug Petersen has indicated he's planning on putting on this years Iowa event. I'm very pleased that he's stepped up to the challenge. I hope Jason will MC for him again. Doug has asked me to come up with a test CD and I have the mailing list to share with him. My goal is to be an attendee this year. :T

I'll have the Statements and perhaps one more entry and that's it.

Now to answer your other questions. Yes, to my ears there is a big jump in the sound quality between the RS drivers and the W4. John K. posted on the PE board that the W4 should be compared to much more expensive drivers and I agree with him. The clarity and detail really are stunning.

Ya know, I don't consider the height of speakers to be a problem but I do have an issue with speakers that have extremely deep cabinets. i just don't care for the look. Tall is majestic looking to me. YMMV...

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Back to Jim,
                                                                  Like Chris said, would be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on the W4 v. RS150. Based on some of your initial comments, I was thinking that the W4 may be too revealing for my taste in music. And do you think it is the driver or the open back design?

And BTW, I really do like the looks. They do make a "Statement"
                                                                  Hi Ryan,

I commented in the previous post about the sound quality difference between the RS and W4. Honestly, I think a more equitable comparision would be Excels, Scan slit cones and perhaps even Accutons. These little guys are soooo clear and detailed it's amazing.

In my opinion, they are exceptionally revealing but very smooth and refined sounding. However, that's the kind of sound that I like best. If you're into the smoothness of paper or poly cone drivers, I wouldn't recommend them. I would never characterize them as "lush" or warm sounding. Extremely neutral to my ears.

The open back really does work and work well. I had my doubts when we started the project but it does open up the mids and create a very large sound stage with out tipping into "euphoric", IMHO. Atmospheric yes, but euphoric, no. Again just my opinion. YMMV. Plus, they seem to be very easy to place which is a prerequisite for me.

Jim

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2005

Maybe a better comparison would be the W4 and the RS125?

Comment

• cjd
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2004

RS125 is worse than the RS150 in almost every way.

So, I would guess the W4's make incremental improvements over the RS150 given the general small differences that already exist between the 150's and the other drivers you mention. That sound about right? Very nice to know, regardless. I DO think they can cross a bit higher.

C

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2005

Here are some updated sketches. Please check them and let me know if anything needs fixed. I think someone should be able to build with this. The only thing that isn't correct is the port.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-d.jpg
Views:	3054
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	848049

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	848050

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	848051

Name:	rear-3-d.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	848052

Edit:
                                                                        Dimensions are to the outside edges, except for the openings for the mid. They are for the interior. Jim tells me that the Center to Center from the mid to the woofer is actually 7 27/32" , but SketchUp (AFAIK) doesn't get that fine. Sides are 3/4", front baffle is 1 1/4"

I'll need to keep practicing to get it to look right with material thickness. I could use some advice from the the SketchUp experts out there. I could also use some suggestions on making the speakers look more correct.
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 18:47 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                        - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005
                                                                          • 5204

Now, I'm just showing off my limited SketchUp skills. I didn't draw it from the photo, but seems to match up.

Name:	statements-photo (2).jpg
Views:	894
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	848048
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 20 March 2023, 20:43 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                          - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                            • 5570

Chris,
                                                                            I thought I once heard you say that you were an "Artist" and accustomed to critism? What is this nonsense about you now being excessively nervous. I've heard them, you have nothing to be nervous about.
                                                                            Yes, but you guys are far too kind so it makes me nervous. If I were blasted for every little blemish, that would have me going "ahh, see, and I knew that but couldn't quite put my finger on it" - but nothing much at all? Nooo, that's just nerve-wracking. You didn't notice I was jittery the whole time y'all were listening? :P

Are those dimensions to the outside edges or inside edges? Particularly on things like the lines for the midrange... When there are no indications of material dimension it's almost impossible to be sure what's what.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2005
                                                                              • 5204

#83
                                                                              Sketches are updated to fix a couple errors. I think we're getting there. Chris, does the note in the post make it all clear? I can try and do material thicknesses or something this weekend.
                                                                              - Ryan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 3223

#84
                                                                                Sketches are updated to fix a couple errors. I think we're getting there. Chris, does the note in the post make it all clear? I can try and do material thicknesses or something this weekend.
                                                                                Hi Ryan,

IT looks great! The 1/16" difference from the mid center and woofer center is certainly not a show stopper by any means. Essentially, if the baffle is laid out with the center of the ribbon at 22" from the top and then the other drivers laid out with the dimensions listed from the ribbon center, it'll all come together.

When you get them to your satisfaction, can you email the images to me so Curt can post them with the rest of the design?

Thanks again Ryan!

Jim

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 519

#85
                                                                                  Hi Jim,

Instead of a 5"x5" box for the transmission lines, couldn't you substitute something like 6" PVC? Thanks for sharing what I am sure is a fantastic speaker.

Craig

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3223

#86
                                                                                    Originally posted by CraigJ
                                                                                    Hi Jim,

Instead of a 5"x5" box for the transmission lines, couldn't you substitute something like 6" PVC? Thanks for sharing what I am sure is a fantastic speaker.

Craig
                                                                                    Hi Craig,

Even though 5" fits the available area a bit better and adds bracing, yes, 6" PVC could be used. Most of the home stores stock 6" PVC but not 5" I did find 5" at a local wholesale distributer but it was going to cost me a $100 for 20'. A bit steep for my hobby budget when I had left over MDF scraps. I also checked out the really heavy mailing tubes which would also work but were $40+ delivered.

Anyway, Curt said that 6" wouldn't affect the sound quality any so if they fit, it sounds like a plan.

Jim

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2005
                                                                                      • 637

#87
                                                                                      Originally posted by CraigJ
                                                                                      Hi Jim,

Craig
                                                                                      Along those same lines, how about a 6" Precision port flare at the exit along with the PVC? That would look cool too, especially if you flush mounted the flare.

Comment

• LoopinFool
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2007
                                                                                        • 13

#88
                                                                                        ...actually 7 27/32" , but SketchUp (AFAIK) doesn't get that fine.
                                                                                        In SketchUp, go to the "Window" menu and select "Model Info". If it's not already selected, hit the "Units" entry in the list on the left.
                                                                                        Now you can set your default unit type (Architectural, Decimal, etc.). Here you can also set the precision (up to 1/64") and "length snapping".

The little bit I've used SketchUp so far has really impressed me. Go try it!

- LoopinFool

Comment

• ahaik
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2007
                                                                                          • 233

#89
                                                                                          Hi Jim and Ryan.

I have a few questions:

1. From the sketches I see that the external depth is 16 1/2 ", but in 2 posts Jim mentioned they are 16" exactly.

2. Since my ears are very inexperienced it is very hard for me to tune the box (foam lining and stuffing), Jim, on one of the posts you mentioned a 1" foam on the open backs of the mids. Is that the PE acoustic foam ?
                                                                                          Also is the internal cabinet foamed and stuffed ? what kind ? and how much ?

3. You mentioned that the port is a 3" diameter and about 4" long with both ends flared. Does that mean 1 piece of 4" long tube and then you attach the flares (the flares usually add some length right ?) And is it a down firing port like in the sketch ?

I have the part list ready at PE

Thank you guys very much,

Asi.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3223

#90
                                                                                            Hi Jim and Ryan.

I have a few questions:

1. From the sketches I see that the external depth is 16 1/2 ", but in 2 posts Jim mentioned they are 16" exactly.

2. Since my ears are very inexperienced it is very hard for me to tune the box (foam lining and stuffing), Jim, on one of the posts you mentioned a 1" foam on the open backs of the mids. Is that the PE acoustic foam ?
                                                                                            Also is the internal cabinet foamed and stuffed ? what kind ? and how much ?

3. You mentioned that the port is a 3" diameter and about 4" long with both ends flared. Does that mean 1 piece of 4" long tube and then you attach the flares (the flares usually add some length right ?) And is it a down firing port like in the sketch ?

I have the part list ready at PE

Thank you guys very much,

Asi.
                                                                                            Hi Asi,

Yes, the cabinet is in fact 16 1/2" rather than 16" is I had stated. Brian Walter is creating a 2D cad drawing with a cut list that will also help see how I constructed the cabinet. I'm guessing Brian will have that done soon. I can send it to you when I receive it if you like.

Yes, just plain 1" foam to line the transmission line. I did also line the RS225 enclosures on the sides, top and back of the cabinet behind the driver. I use 2" foam from Foam by Mail but at the frequencies the RS225 operates at, fiberglass would probably be better. Regardless, the bass is extremely well controlled. Take your pick of either acoustic foam or fiberglass but do not use polyfill stuffing. That's my opinion anyway.

The port is the make your own variety that PE sells. We used a flare at each end of the port. Curt took the 3" tube, cut it in 1/2 and then cut the 1/2 in 1/2 again which made the actual tube length a bit less than 4". A little bit either way will not be critical. A 4" tube with the flares attached should bring you to a 24 Hz. box tuning. A longer port will tune the cabinet lower and extend the bass slightly but it also leans the mid bass a bit too. It sounds great to my ears.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"