Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

A different kind of driver... not your average 8" woofer.

The AS-190's arrived today as expected- boy, that was a heavy box! The magnets on these things look more like something you'd see on a 12" or even 15" sub driver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25675376484_cf8b5cb1c9_o.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	937169[/URL]

The main spider is where you would expect it- it's a flat spider, looks like it should be fairly high linearity.

Behind the main diaphragm, which is driving by the large titanium voice coil, is a sort of inverted surround, attached at the edges, and seems to offer pretty good throw and centering also. you can just see it a bit looking at the upper right...

Name:	26187771362_b64bdf4822_o.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	937170[/URL]

The pole piece vent is huge, following in the tradition of the other cell drivers, which attempt to lower the backside obscuring due to the magnet structure. OTOH, I'd say one would want to rebate this driver pretty much flush with the edge of the baffle, and take some care in relieving the inside mount on a thick baffle. I'm thinking the ideal thing might be two layers of Panzer Holz, then very little relief would be needed and it should be quite stout.

Talking about Panzer Holz is quite fun, as I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Wolfenstein: New World Order", which is a real hoot, and has a lot more heart and creativity than you usually see from that franchise- but then it was done by Machine Games, not ID.
    Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 17:00 Monday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      Talking about Panzer Holz is quite fun, as I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Wolfenstein: New World Order", which is a real hoot, and has a lot more heart and creativity than you usually see from that franchise- but then it was done by Machine Games, not ID.
      That's a blast from the past, I haven't played Wolfenstein since Wolfenstein 3D.

Beautiful and interesting driver btw...
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Total Screw up, Serendipity, Rationalization or Pain?

What a day....

It's almost 9 tonight... I've measured the impedance of the driver, and actually looked at the labels...

Name:	26216973241_9e026ee995_o.png
Views:	122
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	937171

Hmm hmm, that's the AS190-9-251, NOT the AS190-4-252 I had sworn I was ordering, with pleasure when I used the pull down box to select 4 ohm instead of 9 ohm...

That's the screw up.

Ok, so I start thinking a bit... hmmm, the 9 ohm driver is 85dB for 2.83VRMS; two in parallel will be 6dB more sensitive than one- and have 3 dB more output capability. So, 91 dB instead of 89 dB for the 4 ohm driver, and maybe even a smidge easier to drive.... plus that 3 dB more output.

What's the old saying? If some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough?

Is that the serendipity?

So, I have enough drivers to test and debug one cabinet, making one mid bass test enclosure if I use two drivers. Might even be able to shoe horn them in side by side, as they are really 7.5" woofers, not 8" woofers. The end product would look a bit weird, but I think there may be a way to make it work OK. would look like dual headlights on a Toyota FJ cruiser, I suppose. Even mounted that way, the piston range across the cone diameters for omnidirectional output is about 400Hz, which works for the planned crossover.

Sounds like rationalization to me, and that I don't want to let these drivers out of my hands and send them back to Madisound. I checked Madisound's site, and they show either version being a special order item now, 4 week lead time.

But then that leaves me needing to cough up nearly another $2K. For another pair. Ouch. That's painful. Very painful. But then I have an Apple dividend payment that will be coming up in the middle of May. Should cover most of that.

Patience, young Padawan... there is a reason for everything... even if it is NOT unfolding as I have forseen!
        Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 17:00 Monday. Reason: Update image location
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• meb46
          • Jul 2010

In advance to a potential weekend of modelling the "big" version of these, see below for a theoretical Baffle layout. I have tried to align the acoustic center's exactly, but have ended up a little short of perfection... will have to correct electrically in crossovers. Just as a reference, acoustic center's deviate from perfect time alignment (theoretically) by 1.5mm, 0.5mm, 8mm top down. I haven't worried about the subwoofers as we can fairly easily alter these with the DS8.0 Amplifier...

Name:	MIC #2 Final Dimensional Layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	861627

Comment

• TEK
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Have you evaluated to make them a bit lower, perhaps 170 instead of 190, and instead go wider and/or deeper to get the wanted volume?
            How would that affect the timing, and the look? Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit odd to have a couple of speakers that is actually higher than myself...
            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• meb46
              • Jul 2010

TEK - I had a play around with heights etc... but ended up on these based on a couple of factors...

1. I want the volume of the main Subwoofer cabinets to up towards 300L, which drives all dimensions to maximum possible without getting ridiculous - this requires in excess of 650mm deep, more like 700mm, which means this is a big enclosure. Overall, the aesthetic ratios during modelling look about right in my eyes.
              2. I am taking into account the build process and panel thicknesses of 25mm which create limitations to the height of the mid cabinet and upper. Not to mention the 25L required for the upper bass cabinet coupled with somewhere to put the passive crossover into.
              3. Lastly... I like the look of the current models and I think building on the aesthetics has merit... and I don't mind a speaker the same height as me

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Gee guys, just think how poor Neil Patel must feel- remember that picture at the start of the Unicorn dreams thread, they're a LOT taller than him!

That has me thinking, too, as it's looking like my updated mid bass design will have to add about 16" to the height if I do the more acoustically optimum things and have the two mid bass on each side stacked vertically. Those aren't short at all, already; but in a room with tall ceilings, I think they will work out OK.

And of course, I'm going to have to go back on my promise about no more crossover modeling, as now I need to model a mid bass setup with two AS190-9-252 on each side.... This is just going to push the 4pi space sensitivity up to 85 dB, best case, given 6 dB baffle step loss. Of course, sometimes it isn't a full 6 dB, we'll just have to see. But that will make them 6 dB overall more sensitive than the current version, which is limited by the 85 dB/2.83VRMS of the NS12-513-4A. (Which becomes 79-80 dB for 4pi space.)
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by meb46
                  In advance to a potential weekend of modelling the "big" version of these, see below for a theoretical Baffle layout. I have tried to align the acoustic center's exactly, but have ended up a little short of perfection... will have to correct electrically in crossovers. Just as a reference, acoustic center's deviate from perfect time alignment (theoretically) by 1.5mm, 0.5mm, 8mm top down. I haven't worried about the subwoofers as we can fairly easily alter these with the DS8.0 Amplifier...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25569[/ATTACH]
                  Mike ...... do you have a bigger version of this that you could send me, it's hard to see the dimensions in this picture.
                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• meb46
                    • Jul 2010

Steve - See attached, this should be a little better...

Name:	MIC #2 Final Dimensional Layout - Large.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	861632

Comment

• meb46
                      • Jul 2010

Details missing as follows:

Width - 500mm
                      Spacers for Floor and between cabinets - 12mm (These will be Aluminum Plate). I am contemplating making the bottom plate 20mm Aluminum Plate to give myself more meat to thread in the feet.
                      Baffle - 100mm (Thinking either 4 layers of Horizontal Natural LBL Bamboo, or a custom lay-up of Horizontal and Vertical Bamboo runs)
                      Thickness and top Cabinet Slope - TBD based on volume calculations

The very top chamfer is incorrect, but will get ironed out in Solid-works

Comment

• Steve Manning
                        • Dec 2006

That works ....... that's becoming a big beast.

Comment

• TEK
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Meb46:
                          This is actually happening? You are going to build these?
                          Are you going to do the building yourself? What finish are you thinking about?
                          (This is just so cool :-)
                          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TEK
                            Meb46:
                            This is actually happening? You are going to build these?
                            Are you going to do the building yourself? What finish are you thinking about?
                            (This is just so cool :-)
                            Oh yes, this is actually happening... remember, Mike is the only other builder of the Isiris, which were done using a vendor in Singapore for CNC work. But now he has his own CNC platform...

Remember, Mike had his own build thread....

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

And a very complicated MDF braced build:

He had some challenges with the finishing, but all's well that ends well...

Last edited by theSven; 21 February 2023, 20:18 Tuesday. Reason: Updated URLs for htguide
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TEK
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Yes, I remember the MIC build. Great project.
                              I did not remember the matrix construction. Very nice!
                              Looking forward to following this build!
                              -TEK

Comment

• CraigJ
                                • Feb 2006

Jon,

Hope you are feeling better each day and trust that you are not physically overdoing it.

I think you forgot a slightly earlier and also complex build by Mike;
                                DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.50.59 PM_zpsroox6qmv.webp
Views:	77
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	941837

Mike, are you still in Chicago?

Craig
                                Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 21:55 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

No, not forgotten, but didn't team up with him until the pictured build, which started in 2012.

Mike took his toys and his wife and went back to Asia, based out of Singapore again, where he is traveling his butt off for his new company...

I've been to Singapore a few times on business, as we have a major headquarters there, but not in a few years. I still have to say I like the Orchard Road area, but then that's the real Gwai Loh part of town. :W If you're ever going there, I recommend the Royal Plaza, for a good mixture of value and service.

oddly, we were both in Germany about the same time last month, and he visited Accuton while I was hanging out at Campeon and visiting my Munich based friend and wife.

And, well, I've not been taking it quite as easy as probably I should, but I've been feeling better and getting things done this week... another procedure tomorrow! Joy, joy, joy!
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Horio
                                    • Sep 2014

Great job on the modeling so far Mike! Talk about some beastly speakers. All of a sudden, my planned Wavecor Ardent build seems so small.

I love big speakers, but just out of curiosity have you considered doing a 3-way tower with a second subwoofer module for each channel? I'm sure there are some tradeoffs going that route.

Comment

• sdl2112
                                      • Mar 2006

Very cool stuff going on here.:T ....now for a few random comments/questions.

Mike, any confirmation if/when you will get your hands on a C168?...and yes those are beastly yet refined looking. :B

I noticed on Madisound's website with Chrome the pull down options for the AS190 did not work so I didn't think the 4 ohm was available. I just tried with Firefox and it works...must be a settings thing.

Jon, what does the cone curvature look like from underneath (motor side)? I have always thought a "flying saucer" profile would perform well. Very strong profile if you could keep the weight in check.

I like the satellite/sub approach going on here as that is what I have in mind for my SSA-WG. I'll start off full range then add subs later if needed (likely in the form of end tables or similar). I have the option of sealed or ported with adjustable Qe via bucking magnets. This allows me to go with a sealed low Qts alignment with the subs.
                                      Last edited by sdl2112; 07 April 2016, 23:36 Thursday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

The cone seems to be a thin honeycomb in aluminum- so what you see from the underside is a what you'd expect for a constant thickness cone. Their supplied data is VERY flat form 100Hz to 1 kHz, which is pretty ideal for what I'm looking for... so, while this U-Turn of sorts may delay things a bit, I don't think it will hurt the performance of the end result. And later folks should be able to get the 4 ohm version with some ease... (famous last words...)

Think about it... this is almost going back to their roots for the inverted dome tweeters, which were not driven at the periphery of the dome, but with a smaller coil nearer the center- this better optimizes the use of the stiffness and moves the breakup mode higher in frequency.

Yes, though Mike and I both have specific ideas of how we want to implement the LF portion, in principle, there's no reason it can't be done with a number of different setups. Who knows, I might/could put the mid bass/midrange-tweeter module on stands and put the big cabinets off to the side walls- but I doubt I'll do it if I can get the cosmetics adequately working with my kluge approach!

And hey, Mike's design is not really all that humongous- 190cm tall, that's 74", or 6'2"- my height! If I do the kluge job on my Isiris, they will be taller, 63" existing, plus 16" if I stack the AS190's vertically (which I'm strongly inclined to do for a variety of reasons related to directivity and enclosure design). 79". Yowza... better keep them in three pieces.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• meb46
                                          • Jul 2010

TEK - Yes, confirmed as per Jon's comments, this is happening. It will most likely be a relatively slow build as my wife and I have our first child due in June. I'm sure that will slow things down, hence I'm trying to be as active as possible now procuring everything I need in advance. I have pretty good access to CNC facilities, machining team, furniture making personnel, so I may end up "delegating" some of the work. What I want to have completed by early June is the Solid-Works models, completed a dummy sample of the Middle and Upper Cabinet Baffles to send to Jon to aid in the testing of the AS250 and CS168. But who knows, I might get further... For finishing, these will be the same as my current speakers... Matt White. The clean look, coupled with the Accuton Driver colors gives a really contemporary look - which I really like.

Craig - Hello again, as Jon mentioned, we are now back in Singapore, unexpected, but enjoying the tropics again... unlike our Miniature Schnauzer who is suffering terribly from allergies and the heat/humidity combination. Its an easy place to live, but just terribly hot and humid. My first "big" build was flawed from day one, little thought went into it other than making really awkwardly big speakers. The MIC Project, with Jon's help, was a great success and I have been really happy with them. As always, hobbies are never ending, and the desire to make something better is always snapping at our heals. This also means I get to fix that what I didn't like in the MIC project... external crossovers, build structure/process, the fact I know every imperfection in the finishing (no one else can see them, but I know they are there)... etc.

Horio - Thought about independent satellite style subs... but I have always been of the opinion that a speaker the size of the MIC/Isiris etc. should be a one/stop/shop and perform independently of subs... But granted, these now have the main cabinet as subwoofers (Dual 15"). I guess the other fact is that I just like big, speakers that have some "wow" impact. My wife has been happy with the MIC project as they are contemporary looking, and she refers to them as more of a center piece/art... which really helps my argument for the next generation... same look, same finish, just grown a little

sdl2112 - Yes, the C168's are hard to get given they are new and willingness to build these limited due to lack of commercial designs using them. I would assume supplying to the DIY community would be a second priority after commercial demand. I have been exploring a few commercial things in China over the past few years, and I want to get Accuton into the mix on this.

Love the term Jon - "Humongous"... I'm thinking that until I need a forklift to move these, then everything is acceptable Each time I move these things, I'll just rally the lads and offer free beer to provide relocation services!

Comment

• dar47
                                            • Nov 2008

Brovo!, you sir are manly man and a lucky one to boot that has a partner that has a real eye for fashion.:W

Comment

• cochinada
                                              • May 2014

I guess the other fact is that I just like big, speakers that have some "wow" impact.
                                              ... I'm thinking that until I need a forklift to move these, then everything is acceptable Each time I move these things, I'll just rally the lads and offer free beer to provide relocation services!
                                              Very interesting project! I'm with you as I also like big speakers but I'm wondering how much these beasts will weight in the end. I believe you mentioned that just the baffle alone will be 100mm thick? :E

I don't know what is the thickness of the other panels but judging from how tall it is, I would estimate a final weight of no less than 500lbs or even more. Now that's the proper definition of humongous on my book. :agree:

About this baffle, being so thick, how are you going to cut the holes for the drivers? I believe it will consist of some sort of a sandwich of different materials right? If so, will you cut a hole on each one before gluing them together or what? And then, how can you be sure they will be perfectly aligned and not slide during the process? Or do you have a special humongous tool for drilling a hole through 100mm thick? Or...? :scratchhead:
                                              Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                              DIY subwoofers.
                                              Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• meb46
                                                • Jul 2010

Joaquim... I'm thinking a finished weight of around 200Kg, so similar to your prediction... Bear in mind Amplifier for the subs, crossovers and the fact I am using separation and base plates made of aluminum. For the machining, this is typically done from both sides using a CNC Router. The way this is done is by using tooling pins and two router paths. You locate the raw material on tooling pins and route from one side and then flip... there's software that can help you on tooling pin location etc. Its actually a pretty straight forward process. Typically, a decent CNC Router should have around 120mm z axis, so this covers the requirements. It is very time consuming depending on your design... these will have a flare in behinds each of the drivers which adds to the machining time. I don't expect anything less than 2-3 hours machining on the Bass Cabinet Baffle alone.

Comment

• cochinada
                                                  • May 2014

I see. I had this (wrong) notion that a typical CNC could not drill more than 30mm or so but your explanation made everything clear now. Thanks!

I'm also rereading your fantastic earlier MIC project. By the way, and this goes to all of you guys: what the hell do you do with so many speakers that you build? I believe it's physically impossible to keep them all at home unless you people all live in big mansions. The alternative of selling a DIY speaker shouldn't be easy. I know because I couldn't sell my previous one that ended up in my small basement where it is left abandoned. At least here in Portugal nobody cares if you don't have a brand name behind it which is a shame. But your 'Isis' version deserves a good home and not end up in a storage like mine did.

One more thing, I'm not sure what drivers are you going to use in this new project as I cannot see very well what you wrote on your drawing and I also think there might be some lateral drivers perhaps?

EDIT: now I saw that you are a 'kiwi' . Not sure if you like rugby because I once met another kiwi that strangely enough didn't, although curiously he went to school with Ben Smith, but I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the mighty All blacks. :clap:
                                                  Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                  DIY subwoofers.
                                                  Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

I shouldn't answer for Mike, but on the driver score- this is easy- as I'll be doing the testing and characterization for him:

Woofers: Acoustic Elegance TD15's on order

Mid woofer: Accuton AS250

Midrange: Accuton C168

Tweeter: Scanspeak D3004/7140
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• meb46
                                                      • Jul 2010

Slight correction... Tweeter Scan-speak R2908/714000

Its Friday Jon, and you had an Operation this week...

Comment

• cochinada
                                                        • May 2014

Hummm can't find it. Isn't it D2908/714000 instead?
                                                        Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                        DIY subwoofers.
                                                        Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• meb46
                                                          • Jul 2010

Argh... Yes, you are right! Serves me right for making fun of Jon

Comment

• TEK
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2002

Argh... Yes, you are right! Serves me right for making fun of Jon
                                                            And I who tought it was a concerned comment 8O
                                                            -TEK

Comment

• meb46
                                                              • Jul 2010

And so the late nights on Solid-works begins...

A few "in-progress" changes, but things are taking shape slowly. The top and mid cabinet chamfers didn't quite eventuate as planned... but still look good. This time on the rear of the baffles I am opting to machine clean perpendicular surfaces edges and not chamfer/tapered - The flared ones used in MIC #1 simply added hours to the machining time... this time its simpler, and still gives plenty of breathing room behind each of the drivers.

Name:	MIC#2 Baffles - Front.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	861668Click image for larger version

Name:	MIC#2 Baffles - Rear.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	861669Click image for larger version

Name:	MIC#2 Baffles - Side.jpg
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	861670

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                • Aug 2000

Looking good, Mike. I still was so busy this weekend I didn't have time for Fusion 360- will start on that tonight.

Crossing my fingers that you get a shipping update soon.
                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                Natalie P
                                                                M8ta
                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                Isiris
                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                Calliope
                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• meb46
                                                                  • Jul 2010

Jon - Ditto...

Already spent a few hours last night rethinking some of the geometry above... this coupled with some very slow Solid-Works cogs turning last night on better ways to construct the Baffles and calculate the facet angles. More tonight...

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2014

Jon - Ditto...

Already spent a few hours last night rethinking some of the geometry above... this coupled with some very slow Solid-Works cogs turning last night on better ways to construct the Baffles and calculate the facet angles. More tonight...
                                                                    That's the most fun part to me. :T
                                                                    Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                    DIY subwoofers.
                                                                    Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• meb46
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2010

Slight amendment in the profiles... Still have the rear surfaces to modify and also the Screw/Boss fitting on the driver mounting surfaces.

Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	861673Click image for larger version

Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	861674

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2014

Looking good. :T
                                                                        Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                        DIY subwoofers.
                                                                        Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15297

So, considering voicing issues and the use of 2 AS190-9-251, I went back to VituixCAD and prepared a concept engineering update. Using the dual AS190, the net sensitivity is increased by about 2dB and the impedance can be a skosh higher in the mid bass section (that isn't seen here, as VituixCAD just connects the active powered NS12-513-4A in parallel with the passive part of the system, regarding impedance). This is just a proof of life, no expectation to be a final design, but it I don't see any big obstacles once I have new measured data.

Name:	26443928445_a285bf6dc6_o.png
Views:	120
Size:	639.0 KB
ID:	937172

Next step is building the temporary mid bass acoustical test enclosures for evaluation. Parts are here, but have a pretty booked weekend already with Class D stuff and the Minvervas!
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 17:01 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• meb46
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2010
                                                                            • 398

Front Baffles nearing a first draft completion... couple of points to note:

1. All Cabinets will have a single vertical brace connecting the rear panel to the front Baffle/Top/Bottom
                                                                            2. The Subwoofer Cabinet will have two horizontal braces connecting the sides, front Baffle and Vertical Brace, plus two smaller horizontal braces just behind each of the woofers that don't touch the Front Baffle... does all depend on volume depletion before finalizing
                                                                            3. The C168 is primarily vented through the back of the speaker where on a traditional driver design would be the magnet. This means I can limit the chamfer/flare required in the back of the Baffle
                                                                            4. I will most likely add a slight chamfer/flare to each of the driver mounts on the rear of the baffle, but this will be done separately to the models as I need to gauge the "meat" left in the Baffles after machining

Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	861689Click image for larger version

Name:	MIC#2 Baffles - Rear.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	861690Click image for larger version

Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	861691

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 571

#83
                                                                              Mike,

Curious, will you have a brace between the two subs where the baffle is the thinnest?

-Scott

Comment

• meb46
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2010
                                                                                • 398

#84
                                                                                Scott, there is a horizontal brace that attaches to the two fingers at the sides in that area... Not directly to the thin part. One point to note, although it looks thin, remember the basic reference geometries, those are 15" Woofers, and what looks thin is still actually quite sizeable cross section. I will have another look at that area, but I think we are good. It's also going to made out of Horizontal Natural LBL Bamboo... Which should cover strength concerns...

Starting on the bracing at the moment... Should have some first hits in a week or so... One big factor is the size requirement of the amplifier going into the sub cabinet. At the moment without bracing it's about 300L... And I don't want to loose much due to the plate amplifier...

Comment

• meb46
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2010
                                                                                  • 398

#85
                                                                                  Quick update... Driver arrivals now a steady stream at my front door! Photos coming shortly!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15297

#86
                                                                                    Yup- Mike has scored Unobtanium, in terms of us mere mortals... but I'll leave the details to him!
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• meb46
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2010
                                                                                      • 398

#87
                                                                                      Photos of the "Unobtainium" will have to wait today... instead some updates on the Enclosure models. Subwoofer Cabinet is nearing completion and currently has no allowance for an Active Plate Amp. This may end up being altered, or I may just keep the amplifiers separate to ensure I don't consume box volume - still to be decided.

Subwoofer Cabinet uses two larger braces to tie the Baffles into the main vertical brace. Section between woofers has been checked and confirmed plenty of "meat". I do not think this will be an area of weakness.

Bass Cabinet has a single vertical brace and doesn't tie into the front Baffle. This shouldn't be a problem as the sides are all 25mm and the front baffle 300mm high, so again, plenty of "meat" to epoxy the sides to the baffle and ensure minimal vibration.

Top Cabinet dimensions and angles in progress over the weekend!

Name:	Internal Bracing.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	861755Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal Bracing 2.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	861756Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal Bracing 3.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	861757

Comment

• cochinada
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2014
                                                                                        • 658

#88
                                                                                        Don't mean to criticize but rather give some constructive opinion: don't you think the vertical brace is a little 'hollow'? It's just my intuition but perhaps the holes should be smaller to give it more consistency.
                                                                                        Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                                                                                        DIY subwoofers.
                                                                                        Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15297

#89
                                                                                          Interesting question- certainly would be my thought if they were made of MDF. With LBL, things are a bit different. And perhaps there is some desire for weight control?

My inclination for the vertical front to back would be KISS, and that could be a near solid sheet of BB ply.

You have to work with LBL a bit to really appreciate how strong the good stuff is- it's like working with Maple. A piece of 3/4" MDF that I can easily snap across my knee in LBL would simply do so much damage to my knee that I'd have to see an Ortho guy afterwards... And the LBL would only be mildly annoyed, certainly wouldn't be broken...
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                                            • 1891

#90
                                                                                            Photos of the "Unobtainium" will have to wait today... instead some updates on the Enclosure models. Subwoofer Cabinet is nearing completion and currently has no allowance for an Active Plate Amp. This may end up being altered, or I may just keep the amplifiers separate to ensure I don't consume box volume - still to be decided.

Subwoofer Cabinet uses two larger braces to tie the Baffles into the main vertical brace. Section between woofers has been checked and confirmed plenty of "meat". I do not think this will be an area of weakness.

Bass Cabinet has a single vertical brace and doesn't tie into the front Baffle. This shouldn't be a problem as the sides are all 25mm and the front baffle 300mm high, so again, plenty of "meat" to epoxy the sides to the baffle and ensure minimal vibration.

Top Cabinet dimensions and angles in progress over the weekend!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25723[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25724[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25725[/ATTACH]
                                                                                            Drawings are looking good Mike ...... what software are you using?

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"