X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
    Tonight I'm listening to Synchronicity from a 24/176.4 source... having a real "80's" moment in bliss!
    That would be a nice addition to the collection. Any more hints?
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

You have a PM.

It's complicated... I'll describe it in detail if you're interested.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Thanks, Mike.

I'll repeat a few here..
        Thanks. Interesting look.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Just a quick question is the Cxi update to the Ardents going to be a performance increase or just more of a change? Wkhanna and I are waiting eagerly to build 2 sets of the Ardents but if the Cxi will be better, we will definitely have no problem waiting for those.

I searched through this thread and the site and didn't see any real information on what the differences were to be between the two.

Thanks Jon (and anyone else helping)!

-Dan
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

The Cxi is an experimental concept for one that would be a bit easier to build, will use a new woofer alignment (if the TMWW and the Modula Xtreme work out), and would incorporate a waveguide.

It is intended at this time to replace the idea of an RS driver equipped low cost version of the current Ardent design, which was discussed earlier. I think the why's and wherefores will be sort of obvious once you look at the configuration- which isn't to prevent someone from doing that, but hopefully would give them a little pause for thought.

The Cxi version would use dual RS225's in an FCA configuration. ("Flux Capacitor Alignment"). I'd prefer to continue with the C79 midrange, though I keep investigating alternatives based on cost/performance.

The tweeter setup would most likely be the D2608/9130 in the waveguide.

Now, this could also be adapted to the same midrange and tweeter setup as in the current Ardent, but using the waveguide, the front baffle would be more like the M8ta, and not require such a complicated assembly process nor as deep a baffle bevel. The front could be cut more like this baffle to accommodate the 6.5" waveguide diameter.

That's a lot easier to cut than the Ardent is. It's doable with ordinary 10" saws.

Whether this different LF alignment, coupled with the existing midrange and upper end would be an improvement or not, is a debatable point- more measurements to be made and listening tests with the TMWW upcoming.

My thought was to create something with a family resemblance but some different trade-offss- easier to build, waveguide aided treble diffraction and dispersion control, and lower total cost. I'll know more how I feel about that after the Modula Xtreme's and the Modula TMWW have been built.
            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:35 Monday. Reason: Update image location
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Thanks Jon, I sort of wondered that. We are doing the Ardents (the best we can get!) and have no problem with the wood working, just wasn't sure where they fit in on the Quality scale.

I love the Nat Ps and wish I had them for myself (WKhanna's are amazing) so we can't wait for the Ardents. We appreciate all the hard work you are putting in to these and all the designs!
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

I believe (possibly erroneously, but what the hey) that it is due to the shallow waveguide design built into the front panel of the D3004/66200 series. I believe this front panel design is part of what gives the 662000 the superior off axis response at 30-45 degrees, but I think it also results in the elevated response in general in this area. .
                How about the 6600? It doesn't have quite the same faceplate, and I found it to measure slightly better in linear and non-linear tests. I know you tested it too, just wondering if you listened to it in place of the 6620.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
                  How about the 6600? It doesn't have quite the same faceplate, and I found it to measure slightly better in linear and non-linear tests. I know you tested it too, just wondering if you listened to it in place of the 6620.

I didn't have a chance to- just had them on loan from Bear for testing and sent them back long before the Ardents were finished building. The measurements on the 660000 look a bit better as regards the HF "bump".

Now, interesting thing is, looking at the tweeter front plate,

Click image for larger version

Name:	d3004_6600.jpg?time=1684172866.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	936707

it is more similar to this...

Name:	d3004_6640-00.jpg?time=1684173016.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	936708

Enough that I'd hazard the mounting is quite compatible and the basic profile excepting right at the suspension edge nearly identical.

Well, those new inductors should be in tomorrow, I think. Hope I have a bit of spare time Saturday besides getting ready for biz travel Sunday.

Oh, and there are a pair of Vifa NE180W on the way for testing... cripes, I should know better by now, but curiosity got the better of me. Who knows, maybe they'd be nice in a dipole... must have lots of copper in the gap, judging from the impedance curve. Almost makes a SS look high inductance. That should bode well for upper midrange harmonic distortion, I hope.

Name:	vifa_ne180-4_side.jpg?itok=ew_jYAWt.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	936709

Name:	vifa_ne180-4_back.jpg?itok=gyyQtLeS.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	936710

Why do I have the feeling PT Barnum may have been talking about me? And is alive and well at Vifa?

Name:	vifa_ne180-4_front.jpg?itok=DYe-FwEY.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	936711

In my defense, I'm a sucker for drivers with titanium VC formers. :W

And why does it look like there are voice coil leads embedded in both sides of the spider? Questions, questions...
                  Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:55 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                    • Jul 2007

And why does it look like there are voice coil leads embedded in both sides of the spider? Questions, questions...
                    For balanced mass on the spider.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                      • Sep 2009

I think he might mean top and bottom, in which case is quite curious indeed!
                      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

I was really tempted by those Vifas too, glad to see we'll get some data on them.
                        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cjd
                          I was really tempted by those Vifas too, glad to see we'll get some data on them.
                          They look very classy.
                          -Josh

Comment

• Silversmoky
                            • Nov 2007

Glad you ordered a set of these Jon! I think everyone is curious how these are going to test. I have been fighting the urge to grab a couple of the 149's and the 180's when I saw these were now available a couple of days ago. They sure look awfully nice!

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Pretty impressive looking driver for the money! I was expecting 200 or so per driver.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by numberoneoppa
                                I think he might mean top and bottom, in which case is quite curious indeed!
                                When something is sewn through a single layer of material it shows on both sides..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                  When something is sewn through a single layer of material it shows on both sides..
                                  Oh, I didn't know it was sewn in. I don't examine drivers enough, apparently. ops:
                                  -Josh

Comment

• JonP
                                    • Apr 2006

Yeah, it's too bad you can't actually see any of the LBL in the Ardent's - it's more stealth mode, but when you're doing the driver mounting, it's quite obvious!
                                    Indeed... looking at the build pics again I'm picturing an "artistically" multilayer baffle with the LBL/MDF (or some other interesting looking wood) repeating thru it and clear coated. Maybe even continue the pattern, or go with the bamboo look with the rest of the box.. Neat looking stuff.

I'm likely to make the drive to the NorCal DIY again... will be nice to actually see a few of your creations. Might even bring up a pair of Modula MT's to keep things in the family, and compare with the MT MkII's... but I digress...

Comment

• igy137
                                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Jed
                                      I was looking at Zaph's measurements of the 6620 and wondered, that it's the same version as that was measured by Jon. They seem to be different to me, on Zaph's it's more like a dip at ~13k not a bump at 20k as in Jon's. Could this be some variance like that happened with different versions of 6600?

I still can't decide the tweeter to use....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonP
                                        Indeed... looking at the build pics again I'm picturing an "artistically" multilayer baffle with the LBL/MDF (or some other interesting looking wood) repeating thru it and clear coated. Maybe even continue the pattern, or go with the bamboo look with the rest of the box.. Neat looking stuff.

I'm likely to make the drive to the NorCal DIY again... will be nice to actually see a few of your creations. Might even bring up a pair of Modula MT's to keep things in the family, and compare with the MT MkII's... but I digress...
                                        well, that would be cool... Mark and Charlie are hoping for a good turn-out this year. I'm in full production mode to try to get some stuff going. Now my problem is scheduling a week off in late March to work on stuff- my time is in high demand at work. Weekends alone aren't cutting it.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by igy137
                                          I was looking at Zaph's measurements of the 6620 and wondered, that it's the same version as that was measured by Jon. They seem to be different to me, on Zaph's it's more like a dip at ~13k not a bump at 20k as in Jon's. Could this be some variance like that happened with different versions of 6600?

I still can't decide the tweeter to use....

Please note that Zaph measures on an IB, whereas I usually use typical baffle sizes with roundovers that might be used in a real project- this can add diffraction peaks and dips. My measurements were done on a 9" wide tall baffle with 3/4" radius roundover. One can argue that's adding to the tweeter response- then, too, you could just do a 1-2" nearfield measurement. I usually do that, too, just to look for discrepancies.

Then, too, Zaph and I believe MarkK have commented in measuring the original 660000 air circ that no two pairs seemed to measure quite the same as regards HF response- that, to me, indicates the possibility of variability in the VC/dome assemblies, as obviously the metal castings aren't changing.

Personally, I would think very seriously about the D2608/9130 before popping for the 662000. I could certainly see it in a "budget" version of the Ardent, and will probably post a crossover alternative for those so inclined.
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Silversmoky
                                            Glad you ordered a set of these Jon! I think everyone is curious how these are going to test. I have been fighting the urge to grab a couple of the 149's and the 180's when I saw these were now available a couple of days ago. They sure look awfully nice!
                                            Well, the optimistic side of me thinks that with the very low inductance, they'll have quite low upper midrange distortion. The cone profile is interesting, and the material in photographs looks like bamboo fiber reinforced cone of the ER18RNX. The free flow design should be great for linear distortion in the upper midrange. This might be a really nice driver in the 80 Hz to 2500 Hz area- cross fingers.

It's certainly got the weirdness factor down cold... toss it on an LBL baffle, and who knows... of course, as interesting as the driver looks, they ought to be on plex baffles or on dipole panels.

Of course, that's one of the possible outcomes of the TMWW concept, if it works, is a new Arvo Part somewhat along those lines, or using it at the core. Just a biamp speaker, probably. Say, a waveguide tweeter, a 7" mid, two 8's, and then an LF assembly in dipole below 120 Hz or so. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Hard to believe I'm playing with paper cone drivers again...
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• igy137
                                              • Jan 2008

Please note that Zaph measures on an IB, whereas I usually use typical baffle sizes with roundovers that might be used in a real project- this can add diffraction peaks and dips. My measurements were done on a 9" wide tall baffle with 3/4" radius roundover. One can argue that's adding to the tweeter response- then, too, you could just do a 1-2" nearfield measurement. I usually do that, too, just to look for discrepancies.

Then, too, Zaph and I believe MarkK have commented in measuring the original 660000 air circ that no two pairs seemed to measure quite the same as regards HF response- that, to me, indicates the possibility of variability in the VC/dome assemblies, as obviously the metal castings aren't changing.

Personally, I would think very seriously about the D2608/9130 before popping for the 662000. I could certainly see it in a "budget" version of the Ardent, and will probably post a crossover alternative for those so inclined.
                                              Thanks Jon, I surely missed baffle size in question. I take a look also at the D2608/9130.

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                • Feb 2006

Say, a waveguide tweeter, a 7" mid, two 8's, and then an LF assembly in dipole below 120 Hz or so. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
                                                Stop teasing me! Yesterday, I found myself staring at a display of True Bamboo 3205's as if they were a pair of :boobies: in the middle of a Target store. Why do I need a cutting board, I'm not building anything? (yet)

Craigj

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

you don't NEED one, but now, you know you WANT one. You know the potential locked up inside one of those little beauties... (and we're not talking about an Apple iPad- that's a story for another day....)

It's a sad day when we're talking about cutting board porn.... maybe I have more of an excuse, being a single guy.

Now, the next thing, is to figure out how to artistically cut the 3205's so as to take advantage of the blonde bamboo portion, and lay them up in a pattern, perhaps in front of a solid vertical sheet of the more standard LBL? Will have to give that one some thought...
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                    • Feb 2006

Now, the next thing, is to figure out how to artistically cut the 3205's so as to take advantage of the blonde bamboo portion...
                                                    I had mentally taken advantage of those blonde portions. Get your mind out of the gutter, I was thinking of this; Modula MT MkIV Dipole

Name:	Jonsdipole.webp
Views:	127
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	936630
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:28 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by CraigJ
                                                      I had mentally taken advantage of those blonde portions. Get your mind out of the gutter, I was thinking of this; Modula MT MkIV Dipole

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jonsdipole.webp Views:	0 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	936630

Now we're talking! :P

Too few dipole speakers here lately. :cry:

Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:29 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                        • Sep 2009

So is buying 50 cutting boards really cheaper than just buying a sheet of LBL from plyboo?

I mean, it's kinda cool, but think of all of the housewives you're depriving of bamboo cutting boards.
                                                        -Josh

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Obviously, it really depends on what you need to do, and what is available locally. At times my Rockler store has been completely out of the LBL, for months at a time- they don't buy it through corporate, but a local supplier, and only do so once a quarter. The idea here was to find and test alternative sources for small projects.

As for those housewives, well, they can do like I did, too, and try online with Amazon, and clean out a supplier there, too. In the Bay area there are a lot of Target stores, so I'm not worried about cornering the market...
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                                            • May 2004

The NE180 does look intriguing. I'd like to see an 8 ohm version.

Jon, I'm curious it you've ever given consideration to the Usher 8945P? It (like the D2608/9130 or HDS) has always been something I've wanted to try. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

I helped an acquaintance assemble a system using the 8945A some years ago. Never seen the P version personally.

It has been my impression that it's kind of a tone copy of the Scanspeak 8545. If you like SS's idea of building in a rising response above ~1 kHz so that a first order roll off can be used out to the two way corner frequency, and is compensated by the same inductor as used for BSC, then it sort of all falls together. Never measured one of the Usher's myself, though I have used the older Scanspeak Kevlar and carbon fiber 7's making two ways for others. When I started preferring more pistonic behavior in driver cones, after measuring some of the scanspeaks with nearfield techniques, I kind of lost interest in any driver that exhibited that kind of behavior. Generally, there's some kind of energy storage mechanism that accompanies the decoupling of part of the cone, and it shows up in shaped sine burst tests.

But I haven't measured this driver or listened to it, so I'm only engaging in informed speculation-
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonP
                                                                • Apr 2006

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jonsdipole.webp Views:	0 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	936630

You could at least taken her label off, first!!
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:30 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• JonP
                                                                  • Apr 2006

Stop teasing me! Yesterday, I found myself staring at a display of True Bamboo 3205's as if they were a pair of :boobies: in the middle of a Target store. Why do I need a cutting board, I'm not building anything? (yet)

Craigj
                                                                  Bwahahahaha!!! :rofl: Sick puppies, we are!!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

You guys are incorrigible! Where do I sign up?

Seriously, I was planning on limiting my build plans for this year, I had a real sensible New Years Resolution to just finish up my Ardents and do this one pair of MT's with the waveguide- and now I've got some new weird midwoofers heading my way, no impulse control at all, it seems- either that or some unseen "Force" compelling me to do unexpected and unplanned things...

Remember "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", when Dreyfuss was in the middle of his clay mountain construction phase taking over his home? Sometimes I look at these piles of bamboo cutting boards I get deja vu and get creeped out- can't figure out if it's the idiot savant at work or just the idiot!
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2006

You guys are incorrigible! Where do I sign up?
                                                                      Ah, aren't you our leader? ;x(

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Ah, aren't you our leader? ;x(
                                                                        No, but I suppose the Chancellor is... maybe that's why I feel like a puppet on strings some days... have these odd ideas floating up in my consciousness.

Like, when I woke up this morning, I didn't intend to order any more Vifa parts for testing... but I did!?!

In that case, though, it's the loyal followers insisting I get off my butt and pick a new tweeter for the Neo D CC- and these are folks that already have theirs built, but figure I shouldn't let a good thing wither on the vine, so to speak.
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15284

midrange to test for CXi on the way

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                                          Thanks Jon, I sort of wondered that. We are doing the Ardents (the best we can get!) and have no problem with the wood working, just wasn't sure where they fit in on the Quality scale.

I love the Nat Ps and wish I had them for myself (WKhanna's are amazing) so we can't wait for the Ardents. We appreciate all the hard work you are putting in to these and all the designs!

Thanks for the kind words. Some days I wake up in the morning and see the Ardents in the living room and wonder how the heck I found the time and energy to do these, then I remember all the time off I had to take last year as cost savings measures at work!

Well, a possible midrange driver for the CXi version is on the way. This is not a high priority project, but I am trying to lay the ground work for it, and establish true feasibility. In conjunction with some other testing later in March, I should have a good go/no-go decision point.

OTOH, what I'm really looking forward to is working a few hours this afternoon if possible on tweaking up the Ardent crossovers- the new tweeter inductors came in, and everything else is on hand. Wish I wasn't flying out on business early Sunday morning.
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                            • 5568

Sounds like the Chancellor needs to find some new contractors.

Comment

• chrismercurio
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2007
                                                                              • 116

Jon,

You may already know this but here goes:

PlyBoo bamboo ply is available locally through Smith and Fong PlyBoo in South San Francisco and Teragren bamboo ply from MacBeath in Berkeley or San Jose.

Best,

Chris

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15284

Hi Chris,

No, I didn't know that- thanks for the heads up! My Rockler guys are closer, but they don't carry but one style of board. I'll check these out sometime soon.

Two days down, two to go before coming home...

Name:	PalmSprng.jpg
Views:	2736
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	854387
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 10:38 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2004
                                                                                  • 5568

FWIW: Having talked to both the Plyboo and the Teragren folks, I prefer Teragren - they were the only ones to say up front that batch-to-batch color matching was really tough to guarantee, and that it would change color with sun exposure but try to keep the floor clear of furniture, rugs, etc. that would block the sun for a week to minimize this. That was some time ago though.

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2008
                                                                                    • 468

Interesting pic. Did you just go by the airport to stare longingly at planes and think about being home and working on speakers?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15284

Originally posted by evilskillit
                                                                                      Interesting pic. Did you just go by the airport to stare longingly at planes and think about being home and working on speakers?

Nah, taken just as I got off the plane on Sunday arriving at Palm Springs. It's one of those quaint little airports like C terminal in San Jose that doesn't have jetways, still uses stairs. A some Southern CA airports, like Burbank and Palm Springs, don't even have roofs over all the gate corridors, but are just open air... not something that would work in Minneapolis, I suppose...

But I do pull this photo up on my phone from time to time and think about working on the Ardent's when I get back- got parts, just need time. Also really dying to hear some of my 24/176.4 "extractions" from SACD on them once I get them dialed in. I have big hopes for these SS Be tweeters.
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15284

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                        FWIW: Having talked to both the Plyboo and the Teragren folks, I prefer Teragren - they were the only ones to say up front that batch-to-batch color matching was really tough to guarantee, and that it would change color with sun exposure but try to keep the floor clear of furniture, rugs, etc. that would block the sun for a week to minimize this. That was some time ago though.
                                                                                        Kink of like avoiding initial Plasma burn-in by having a uniform field exposure the first 100 hours or so.

Yeah, I'd expect sun darkening to be a possible factor, like it is for Cherry. I'm wondering if I should "pre-sun" the baffles I'm working on now before lacquering, or if that will give enough protection that I don't need to worry.

Well, it's only rock and roll, so no biggie however that turns out.
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• villastrangiato
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2010
                                                                                          • 231

Kink of like avoiding initial Plasma burn-in by having a uniform field exposure the first 100 hours or so.

Yeah, I'd expect sun darkening to be a possible factor, like it is for Cherry. I'm wondering if I should "pre-sun" the baffles I'm working on now before lacquering, or if that will give enough protection that I don't need to worry.

Well, it's only rock and roll, so no biggie however that turns out.
                                                                                          I recommend SPF 50 sealer before lacquering - as a good deal of UV ray protection gets diluted in the lacquering process. But then, finishing with cocoa butter is always an option - a perennial favorite for those of us who enjoy tropical climates....... :B

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                                            • 5568

I'd only worry if you plan to add felt treatment but later remove it.

It won't matter if it's got finish or not, it's a (non-harmful to finish) chemical change, just like carmelizing (it's not a dye, it's a chemical change in the bamboo, so it's 100% through not just surface)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"