Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

Hot melt glue is definitely your friend when assembling crossovers. I just hard wired an xover into a tiny cabinet and had real difficulty arranging the various components such that they would all fit. It was the large inductors that I had issues with, the caps I were already NPEs! I am glad I didn't try and fit some poly caps in.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonW
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Been a little busy here so no progress to speak of. Hopefully I can start wiring things up in the coming days. And gluing things together.

Originally posted by kevinm
      It must feel good! They're looking great! I'm quite impressed with your crossover layout ingenuity. I'm terrible at figuring out where to put the pieces
      Thanks, Kevin! I don’t know that I’d say the crossover layout is really an example of ingenuity. It’s more like being backed into a corner and not having many options for how to get out.

Originally posted by 5th element
      Hot melt glue is definitely your friend when assembling crossovers. I just hard wired an xover into a tiny cabinet and had real difficulty arranging the various components such that they would all fit. It was the large inductors that I had issues with, the caps I were already NPEs! I am glad I didn't try and fit some poly caps in.
      Yeah, hot melt glue seems to be the way to go here. NPE caps in a small cabinet? Man, you’re taking the easy way out! :P

In order to make sure that things bond well and don’t fall off the board when mounted on the cabinet side, I covered one of the inductors with glue. You can see it in this reposted picture. It’s 0.9 mH, has a DCR of 0.67 Ohms, and is a filter/shunt, not in the main path. I am wondering if it might get a little warm and I should shave the glue off the top. But I am leaning toward keeping it as is, for the good bonding.

I never mentioned this point but probably should: All the resistors are floating in the air, for good heat dissipation. None are glued down to the board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509_zps09bb5bd6.webp
Views:	131
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	931486
      Last edited by theSven; 02 April 2023, 13:14 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonW
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

“Daddy will you play with me?”

Hey Fellas,

I’ve restarted work on this speaker project. It’s been far too long. But I’ve got a little kid around now and they take up a lot of time (and money). Who knew? Plus I’ve got a pretty demanding job. When my son says “Daddy will you play with me?” well, that’s what I’ve got to do. At least for now, while he still wants to spend time with me. Anyways, I got a little time to get the speakers going again. I’m hoping to get them complete over the next couple of weeks. But we’ll see if that really happens.

I’ve worked on getting things wired up. One photo is shown here. It’s quite the puzzle of wires and getting everything into these tiny cabinets. Last night, I got the first speaker (of four) actually playing music for the first time. What a smile I had on my face. It sounded amazing.

Still a lot to do in terms of wiring things up and testing to make sure everything is AOK. Plus many little things that go with it like cables, getting little rubber feet, making the external jumper cables to allow switching between the n room and on wall versions. I’ll post more details on how I accomplished various aspects of the build as I get things farther along. Eventually, I’ll also make a parts list (BOM) and provide any additional info needed if someone else dares start the build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4597 copy_zpsymyzkfs7.webp
Views:	39
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	931485
        Last edited by theSven; 02 April 2023, 13:14 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• technodanvan
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

This is the best kind of thread necro.
          - Danny

Comment

• 5th element
            Supreme Being Moderator
            • Sep 2009

Wow was it really back in 2014 that these were last worked on!

Excellent to see you finally making progress, I know what it's like having to put projects on hold.
            What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
            5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
            Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

When my son says “Daddy will you play with me?” well, that’s what I’ve got to do. At least for now, while he still wants to spend time with me.
              ^This. Excellent sense of priority, there.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonW
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it has been frustrating to watch these speakers, so close to being done, just sit there. But other priorities have come into life. The shortest person in the house does have me wrapped around his finger. Still, I'm going to get these things completed. Hopefully sooner rather than later. There is already enough info posted here for someone else to complete a built. But I'll provide more details and tips as the project progresses.

Comment

• JonW
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Last night I got some little things done like cutting up peg board, screwing in one woofer to complete the first speaker, and soldering several wires for jumper cables. I’m making the Deluxe speakers able to switch between the on wall and in room crossover versions by a simple jumper cable change. Details to follow on all of that. Nothing too specific worth a photo for now. Still a fair amount of work to do. But it’s more done and I’m happy.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"