Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

What did you use the miter saw for? Can't imagine you used it to cut the baffle?

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hdale85
      What did you use the miter saw for? Can't imagine you used it to cut the baffle?
      The DWS780 is a 12" sliding miter saw, with greater cut capacity (especially if you equip it with a sacrificial 1-1/2 table board, that allows using the back fence and getting up to 16" deep cuts. It has much more capacity than my 10" Hitachi does.

The main part of the bevel cuts for both the bass module front panel and top module front panels were done with the DWS780. Also, all the miter stuff and bevel angles for things like the front and side panels of both the bass module and the top module were done with the DWS780. (16" depth, remember...)

the other main saws used were my Sears/Ryobi Frankensaw, and DeWalt DW645. The Frankensaw did all the precision panel ripping and rough crosscuts. It also was used for the bass module front panel bevel cross cuts- it was just BARELY able to do those with the sliding miter table; those front panels were very heavy.

The DW645 was used for a lot of precision ripping of some of the pieces for the top module and for the braces, and the baseplate. With it's rack and pinion fence, it is very precise and accurate, which means very repeatable.

I'll talk more about tools and usage in the official build thread.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Wow awesome, I didn't think the miter saw would be able to cut deep enough on angles to cut the facets. I imagine it might be easier to setup the proper angles and what not with the miter as well? Although you'd definitely need a table around it of some sort to hold up that thick baffle. I'm definitely looking forward to the build thread.

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          One other thing expensive about this current speaker project, is how much I've spent on tools- the main necessary items being the DWS780 compound dual bevel miter saw (critical), a limited edition Woodpeck bevel gauge, the DeWalt D27905 dust extractor, a Fuji Miti-Mite IV HVLP sprayer, another DeWalt router, and don't forget the explosion proof variable speed exhaust fan for the knock down spray booth yet to be built!

It's a good thing I didn't try doing an ROI prior to starting the project, and adding in tools and other expenses... :roll:
          And now we know why those commercial speakers cost $80K ..... Your paying for all of their fancy tools. I was watching some videos on YG Acoustics website and their CNC machines are running $400 -500K each! :E
          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Steve Manning
            And now we know why those commercial speakers cost $80K ..... Your paying for all of their fancy tools. I was watching some videos on YG Acoustics website and their CNC machines are running $400 -500K each! :E
            Yeah, the stuff the big guys like YG Acoustics, Wilson Audio, Rockport, and Magico do with cabinet construction makes what I'm doing here look like whittling with a pen knife in comparison. Obviously, for us DIY guys, the question is, how much can we do with how little? We're in the last century as far as tools and techniques. But we're a stubborn independent lot. Like trying to build a high performance boat out of wood- that's so 19th century! :W
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• themarkkram
              • Nov 2012

Hello -

I am new here, and as my first post I have 2 comments.

First, those look awsome. I hope to someday do a build and post here.
              Second, this thread started in '06!

Happy weekend everyone!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by themarkkram
                Hello -

Second, this thread started in '06!

Happy weekend everyone!
                Well, as a colleague of mine from Munich used to say, "Slow work take time..."

Welcome on board, hope we see you posting a build someday soon!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                  • Mar 2006

Well, as a colleague of mine from Munich used to say, "Slow work take time..."

Welcome on board, hope we see you posting a build someday soon!
                  Jon...since I saw you post that saying I tried using it a few times at work...unfortunately they don't seem to get it :roll:

themarkkram...yes post something soon...it is quite fun!

Comment

• dar47
                    • Nov 2008

What did you do to your TT?[/QUOTE]

Just waiting on delivery of a Rega RP6 and a Dynavector 20x2 cart. Not doing much just a Groove Tracer sub platter barring and a Arylic or Delrin platter.

I will have to resist buying to much vinyl, need to reserve the stash for the Ardents. I haven"t played vinyl in 20 years.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dar47
                      What did you do to your TT?
                      Just waiting on delivery of a Rega RP6 and a Dynavector 20x2 cart. Not doing much just a Groove Tracer sub platter barring and a Arylic or Delrin platter.

I will have to resist buying to much vinyl, need to reserve the stash for the Ardents. I haven"t played vinyl in 20 years.[/QUOTE]

My favorite cartridges in the 70's were Dynavector and Denon DL103. There is a lot of "new" vinyl out these days, so the temptation may be considerable, depending on your musical preferences!
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

PE has shipped the Jantzen Superior Z caps I need for the midrange- I'm combining a 10uF and 15uf to get the required 25uF. Even that is an "ouch" in the pocket book, and I think I cleaned them out of 10's for the moment. Their stock fluctuates- they were out of some parts earlier in the week, but had more in stock yesterday. Glad they're not just phasing out carrying the good stuff...'

Click image for larger version

Name:	superior-cap-600x450.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	941557
                        Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:45 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dar47
                          What did you do to your TT?

I will have to resist buying to much vinyl, need to reserve the stash for the Ardents. I haven"t played vinyl in 20 years.[/QUOTE]

BTW, in the lessons learned department, I am planning now to try an alternative crossover approach for the Ardents based on how the Isiris crossover performance turns out. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that will be the direction things go... I just have a feeling about this, for a variety of reasons. If it turns out that way, of course I'll go into them at that point! :B
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                            • Dec 2006

Yeah, the stuff the big guys like YG Acoustics, Wilson Audio, Rockport, and Magico do with cabinet construction makes what I'm doing here look like whittling with a pen knife in comparison. Obviously, for us DIY guys, the question is, how much can we do with how little? We're in the last century as far as tools and techniques. But we're a stubborn independent lot. Like trying to build a high performance boat out of wood- that's so 19th century! :W
                            Your doing a pretty good job with that whittling there Jon :T

As for being stubborn .... that's half the fun The other half is if I can get close enough to the big boys and save $75K in the process I'm a happy boy.
                            Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                              Your doing a pretty good job with that whittling there Jon :T

As for being stubborn .... that's half the fun The other half is if I can get close enough to the big boys and save $75K in the process I'm a happy boy.
                              No kidding! But in this case, my rough seat of the pants estimate before an official BOM is saving, hmmm, maybe only $70K... gives me a goal to work towards! :W

Speaking of work, today I got to try out the special Franklin Polyurethane based hot glue gun- it is pretty trick, with four types of glue cartridges available, for different set times and materials.

Name:	HotGlue_zps81d48062.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	941558

You load a cartridge, plug it in to the "charging base", which heats up the glue cartridge and gun casing in about 12 minutes. Then you can remove and use to apply glue for 15-20 minutes. The longer setting time stuff will stick to all kinds of things- seemed to work fine with the crossover parts and phenolic board.

No pictures of the glued up board, but here's one board before cutting and trimming it on the saw, just looking at some parts layout- for the woofer crossover.

Name:	LayoutStart_zps9c0dec40.jpg
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	941559

Both boards LF boards were glued up, but other chores took priority after that. Yes, that bigun coil is a 5.1 mH AWG 12; the "small" one is 2.2 mH AWG 12.
                              Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:45 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PMazz
                                • May 2001

today I got to try out the special Franklin Polyurethane based hot glue gun
                                That's a nice little glue gun. We use it at the shop for those "special" times when nothing else will do. Get it right the first time, tho. It's a structural adhesive. You'll need a hammer and chisel to remove it once set. Oh, and if you need to remove any squeeze out, let it set for a minute or two until it gets waxy and it can be trimmed pretty easily.
                                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PMazz
                                  That's a nice little glue gun. We use it at the shop for those "special" times when nothing else will do. Get it right the first time, tho. It's a structural adhesive. You'll need a hammer and chisel to remove it once set. Oh, and if you need to remove any squeeze out, let it set for a minute or two until it gets waxy and it can be trimmed pretty easily.

It does feel like a very well engineered piece of hardware compared with what you usually get in a hot glue gun. yeah, I did get the impression it's only for tasks where you KNOW these are the things you want put together! No using this for "tentative" parts of the crossover! (I.E., the midrange crossover will be tack soldered together just on piece of MDF until testing is complete, then "properly" assembled).

As this first set of parts went together real nicely, I ordered more of the MP75 glue cartridges last night, plus more Deft sanding sealer and Lacquer. The drip filters came in this week, too.

We were up last night booking mileage flights and economy plus seats for our travel to England for the hiking coast to coast event late May to mid June. Buying some lacquer and construction supplies just fit naturally into that!
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sdl2112
                                    • Mar 2006

No kidding! But in this case, my rough seat of the pants estimate before an official BOM is saving, hmmm, maybe only $70K... gives me a goal to work towards! :W

Speaking of work, today I got to try out the special Franklin Polyurethane based hot glue gun- it is pretty trick, with four types of glue cartridges available, for different set times and materials.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HotGlue_zps81d48062.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	941558

You load a cartridge, plug it in to the "charging base", which heats up the glue cartridge and gun casing in about 12 minutes. Then you can remove and use to apply glue for 15-20 minutes. The longer setting time stuff will stick to all kinds of things- seemed to work fine with the crossover parts and phenolic board.

No pictures of the glued up board, but here's one board before cutting and trimming it on the saw, just looking at some parts layout- for the woofer crossover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LayoutStart_zps9c0dec40.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.1 KB ID:	941559

Both boards LF boards were glued up, but other chores took priority after that. Yes, that bigun coil is a 5.1 mH AWG 12; the "small" one is 2.2 mH AWG 12.

Those are some impressive coils :T ...we use a lot of litz wire at work in our flywheel product...definitely helps with the high frequency.
                                    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:46 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Yeah, I keep coming back to these big air core parts. I used to use North Creek a fair amount, but George stopped selling to hobbyists like us, so it's Solen now, through Parts Connexion or Solen themselves.

That 5.1 is a big honker; the C1A cap is 100uF film, for "scale". :W
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                                        • Nov 2008

BTW, in the lessons learned department, I am planning now to try an alternative crossover approach for the Ardents based on how the Isiris crossover performance turns out. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that will be the direction things go... I just have a feeling about this, for a variety of reasons. If it turns out that way, of course I'll go into them at that point! :B
                                        Was this the voicing as per the graphs you posted tilting the tweeter response or is it new filters?
                                        I was also wondering what the ER18's would do in the Ardent cab sealed. A friend of mine has the scans in a similar sized ported box and they do low 30's in room easy. I'm try to do theater and music in the same room, curtained off area (14' x 35'x 8'H with seating at 18'). I would like to cross to an IB around 60hrz for theater and not sure on music or just a small sealed sub. I haven't ruled out the scans sealed and I'll wait for your impression on that version.

The Isiris sealed with 8's would probably be like my RS 3ways I sold, they crossed easy at 60hrz and were nice for music in my smaller room as I don't listen to music much over 80db.
                                        Last edited by JonMarsh; 08 February 2013, 10:56 Friday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

These would be new filters, of the same topology type (all pass 3rd order) as I'm working on here, and as was used in the NatalieP, for example*Having a 3rd order instead of 2nd order roll off on the mid looks like it will allow getting out of the "danger zone" faster in the upper transition region of the mid, and is why LCR equalizers aren't present the proposed version of the Isiris crossover. The Duelund is tough to implement with real world drivers, requiring low initial slopes and a gradual transition to a faster roll off.

Voicing is still a bit up in the air, though easy to tweak- doing some experiments with an inexpensive setup to evaluate psycho acoustics, I'm suspecting that those voicing mods apply more to a full omni radiation speaker, not as much for a monpole with presence and treble range only in the forward half. BUT, there are some adjustments likely still, based on my Ardent and Modula Xtreme experience, and that is factored into the initial build.

Also, I'm evaluating a way to build the crossovers in the cabinet in the final construction, with the LF crossover in the base of the lower cabinet, and the midrange and treble crossovers in the upper module, so it will only require a sort of bi-wire connection externally, achieved with Kimber 12TC. (or a set of Cardas Golden Presence I have, which would be overkill, I think...)

Been very busy at work this week, but I have about gotten one of the LF networks soldered up last night. Jantzen Superior Z caps came in for the midrange build yesterday.

Also got the Hexateq enclosures and connectors for the nCore build in from France- they look very spiffy!
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2004

Hexateq is from Belgium as far as I know. Looking forward to your listening impressions.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                                              Hexateq is from Belgium as far as I know. Looking forward to your listening impressions.

Don’t doubt you're right about that, but the were packed in a box from Amazon France. Interestingly, when I searched my emails for Richard Krol, I remembered why the name sounded familiar- he'd requested plans for the M8ta's some years ago.
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Midrange build half complete; lacquer, mixing cups and other finishing supplies came in.
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Test set of crossovers completely put together; wiring harnesses fabricated, it's all hooked up and ready to test tomorrow, but other things must come first on a Saturday night!

The suspense is going to kill me- will this be like the NatalieP's, where I never had to touch the crossover design from the LspCAD sim, or will there be unexpected problems to solve because somewhere along the line I had a Brain fahrt? Stay tuned....
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                                                    • Nov 2008

Test set of crossovers completely put together; wiring harnesses fabricated, it's all hooked up and ready to test tomorrow, but other things must come first on a Saturday night!

The suspense is going to kill me- will this be like the NatalieP's, where I never had to touch the crossover design from the LspCAD sim, or will there be unexpected problems to solve because somewhere along the line I had a Brain fahrt? Stay tuned....
                                                    Oh I bet there will be some thinking and tweaking before you add all those expensive parts for the final. I'm excited for you too, your making great progress. :T

Comment

• Juhazi
                                                      • May 2008

Evil Twin,
                                                      you have been sued by a rival with Dark Force http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-ATS.htm

Name:	jenzen-intro-7-small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	858052
                                                      My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2004

Can anyone doubt that Black is Back?

The evidence is clear....

Name:	jenzen-intro-1-large_zps45651654.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	941560

Yes, Black is back... even to the extent of compromising driver choices to achieve a stunning appearance!

I believe I would find the treble response of this system with the D3004/6640 most satisfactory... however, this leaves a substantial range of reproduction open to evaluation.

And though he earns a few points for using black MDF in the construction, a true homage to Wilson Audio would rely on phenolic sheet or other more advanced synthetics such as those available from Seinar (though not in your primitive Terran sector). Undoubtedly this will be a popular option, though, for those of discriminating taste and a refined sense of esthetics.

A comparison of the weight of this finished system and the actual Wilson Alexia might be illustrative of differences in cabinet design- the Alexia tipping in at 265 lb Terran.

Last, Troels is to be commended for keeping the system impedance above 5 ohms at any freuqency- the actual Alexia dips as low as 2 ohms in parts of the midbass, which will limit the selection of compatible amplifiers.

Regardless, this is a fascinating exercise, and one must acknowledge Troel's sheer productivity- it seems unlikely he has a conventional day job with this rate of output.
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:47 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                        DFAL
                                                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2004

Initial measurements of the prototype crossover are promising, though with issues to address. Perhaps we need to motivate Jonmarsh to more assiduous effort in his initial design work...

The on axis response at 2 meters at typical listening position shows potential, as well as the effects of the room, given the 140 msec gate time- nothing is covered up here to make nice smooth looking curves.

Name:	OnAxis2MListeningheight_zps47019948.png
Views:	93
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	941561

More telling, perhaps, is the consistency with the 30 degree off axis response...

Name:	30Deg2MListeningHeight_zps8efaff6d.png
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	941562

Clearly some level adjustments are necessary, most likely due to the DCR losses of those large Solen coils in the LF network- cored inductors could increase the SPL level, but perhaps not the fidelity. Adjustments will be made to the midrange and treble level.

Sill, a cursory listen to Aras by Curandero shows very pleasing tonality and transient reproduction of complex percussive interplays on this interesting piece of multicultural music, even played through the decidedly low fidelity of the TC Konnkt 8 Firewire audio interface used for testing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51NTVVHA4FL._SX300_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	858054
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:47 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                          DFAL
                                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• cjd
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2004

Nice looking response, especially the comparison!

Is that bump ~1k a room artifact, or something to address in the crossover?
                                                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Juhazi
                                                              • May 2008

I was wondering about the bass, is that dip at 45Hz a room mode? Otherwise - a fantastic job! 30¤ graph is beautiful!
                                                              My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2004

The dip at ~42 Hz is a strong room null always present, due to the overall room size and side halls- one reason a different locale for measurement would be preferred, but one must work with what one has. Nearfield measurements reveal the truth (more or less) in the bottom end, excepting near boundary interaction- another topic to be addressed in the build thread.

The crossover has been updated in LspCAD and in the real world.

First, the shorter gated measurements were adjusted in LspCAD to correlate with the measured levels; then judicious level adjustments were made for the midrange driver and treble unit. Note that the data used for LspCAD development was measured 30 degrees off axis.

Name:	IsirisXoverSchmUpdate2-17_zps4519d044.png
Views:	94
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	941563

Name:	IsirisXoverPlotUpdate2-17_zps14baeb34.png
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	941564

Given that component values and impedance and slope still looked appropriate, the physical crossovers were updated and measured on and off axis.

These are measurements gated at 140 msec and show many room reflections.

On axis

Name:	Updated2MOnAxis_zps573b1baa.png
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	941565

40 degrees off axis. I suspect this reflects better than any other single measurement the reality of the power response in room. It reflects what they sound like, to these cyborg augmented ears...

Name:	Updated2M40Deg_zps0bcbfb44.png
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	941566

If a nominally flat voicing is to be used, I don't expect much change from this- perhaps very minor adjustments to the tweeter attenuation. That is pending evaluation in stereo in completed equipment and more suitable electronics.

Final voicing may await using a proper DAC and power amplifer (this testing was done with a TC Konnkt 8, a Firewire 24/192 capable unit, but hardly comparable in sonics to an M51 NAD, for example), and with an Aragon 8008BB X3 and Ayre K5x preamplifier.

Once again I find the results from a 3rd order all pass (quasi L-R, though they never to my knowledge advocated this mathematical approach for 3rd order) quite pleasing and lending itself to fast development, as was the case with the first system using it, the NatalieP.

I believe it is time to take Jonmarsh to the woodshed and convince him of the need to apply this technique to the Ardent.
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:48 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                DFAL
                                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                                                                  The dip at ~42 Hz is a strong room null always present, due to the overall room size and side halls- one reason a different locale for measurement would be preferred, but one must work with what one has. Nearfield measurements reveal the truth (more or less) in the bottom end, excepting near boundary interaction- another topic to be addressed in the build thread.

The crossover has been updated in LspCAD and in the real world.

First, the shorter gated measurements were adjusted in LspCAD to correlate with the measured levels; then judicious level adjustments were made for the midrange driver and treble unit. Note that the data used for LspCAD development was measured 30 degrees off axis.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IsirisXoverSchmUpdate2-17_zps4519d044.png Views:	0 Size:	23.0 KB ID:	941563

Click image for larger version  Name:	IsirisXoverPlotUpdate2-17_zps14baeb34.png Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	941564

Given that component values and impedance and slope still looked appropriate, the physical crossovers were updated and measured on and off axis.

These are measurements gated at 140 msec and show many room reflections.

On axis

Click image for larger version  Name:	Updated2MOnAxis_zps573b1baa.png Views:	0 Size:	143.4 KB ID:	941565

40 degrees off axis. I suspect this reflects better than any other single measurement the reality of the power response in room. It reflects what they sound like, to these cyborg augmented ears...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Updated2M40Deg_zps0bcbfb44.png Views:	0 Size:	147.1 KB ID:	941566

If a nominally flat voicing is to be used, I don't expect much change from this- perhaps very minor adjustments to the tweeter attenuation. That is pending evaluation in stereo in completed equipment and more suitable electronics.

Final voicing may await using a proper DAC and power amplifer (this testing was done with a TC Konnkt 8, a Firewire 24/192 capable unit, but hardly comparable in sonics to an M51 NAD, for example), and with an Aragon 8008BB X3 and Ayre K5x preamplifier.

Once again I find the results from a 3rd order all pass (quasi L-R, though they never to my knowledge advocated this mathematical approach for 3rd order) quite pleasing and lending itself to fast development, as was the case with the first system using it, the NatalieP.

I believe it is time to take Jonmarsh to the woodshed and convince him of the need to apply this technique to the Ardent.
                                                                  ops: well, looking at those curves, it's pretty obvious toe-in won't be necessary for good setup... And it is pretty good performance to be this well integrated only 2 meters from such a large 3-way.

Someone better get working on updating the BOM schematic and BOM!

Oh, and just played this organ demo streaming over the internet- holy crap! That's what a B3 clone should sound like! or a B3!

Great video, now great audio, too!

Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:49 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Another 2 dB reduction of tweeter level, including a change in series resistor and first capacitor from 4.7 uF to 4.1 uF has reached what may be a satisfactory first build configuration. Detail without undo forwardness.

Now, about that BOM...
                                                                    DFAL
                                                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• gbegland
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                                                                      Another 2 dB reduction of tweeter level, including a change in series resistor and first capacitor from 4.7 uF to 5.6 uF has reached what may be a satisfactory first build configuration. Detail without undo forwardness.

Now, about that BOM...
                                                                      Ah yes, your most Evilness, I feel better already with another 2dB drop.

Now about that low end, my weak sense of Force tells me that it may be a little warm or tubby with the amount of measured response down there. In the immortal words of Sir Mix A Lot, "I like big bass and I can't deny..." BUT this seems like a little too much on the badonk-a-donk side of things, no?

Greg

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by gbegland
                                                                        Ah yes, your most Evilness, I feel better already with another 2dB drop.

Now about that low end, my weak sense of Force tells me that it may be a little warm or tubby with the amount of measured response down there. In the immortal words of Sir Mix A Lot, "I like big bass and I can't deny..." BUT this seems like a little too much on the badonk-a-donk side of things, no?

Greg
                                                                        In not a word, but a short phrase, it is an artifact of the room placement with regards to boundaries near a corner. Near field measurements show no lift and no 43 Hz suck out. A larger listening room with different setup is the solution, though also a longer measuring distance from the speaker also improves matters. Those liking a zaftig bottom end with punch and definition might like it just like it as is (no port, near critically damped sealed alignment).

Undoubtedly this should improve with the planned placement at Jonmarsh's GF's family room.

One point is quite evident- with this driver pairing, the Accuton C173N-6-90 has met it's match/complements in the upper and lower registers- no longer is it being held back or appearing as the star performer. The Chancellor should be most pleased with the results, and hopefully will allow me to depart this miserably primitive backwater planet!

And yes, for those who might be curious, in my opinion as of today's listening and given my familiarity with the SS D3004/6640, the JDT-1024 is more transparent and more resolving and neutral- more like very high end headphones. It should be at this price, but so often things at a certain level just become lateral changes in flavor, not true improvements.

This is the best sounding tweeter I have heard at this address, and rivals my recollection of the Avalon Eidolon Diamond and the Karma Exquisite Mini.
                                                                        DFAL
                                                                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16073

But is it several thousand dollars more transparent? lol

Comment

• sdl2112
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 571

Very nicely done Jon :T...I'm sure there is much gratification as well as relief now that you have reached this phase of the project...not that any of us had any doubt ;x(

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15290

Originally posted by sdl2112
                                                                              Very nicely done Jon :T...I'm sure there is much gratification as well as relief now that you have reached this phase of the project...not that any of us had any doubt ;x(
                                                                              You can say that again! Or several times more!

Last measurement update, well off axis again, with the 4.1uF on tweeter network input and 4R7- looks and sounds for now what I'll go with.

Name:	2M30Deg4u14R7_zps12c28750.png
Views:	91
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	941567

As to whether this is worth several thousand more, per Greg's question, I don't have any better answer than Troels does for his Jensen diamond project. It IS better, a significant step more faithful, and given the other things I have in the pipeline, and the degree to which music is important to me, it seems reasonable. Does a system like Michael Fremer's make sense? well, to Michael it does, and when some dips sent a reporter over to hear his and discredit the whole audiophile thing, the guy came a way a convert to the fact that systems like that DO sound better, much to the annoyance of his boss. :T

For someone else, they'd spend the money on a 65" plasma for football games. Doesn't happen to be where I'm coming from.

A lot of investment of time and effort, and of course money; all these years of saving have paid off now, as planned; getting to enjoy some things now that my daughter is on her own a few years. :W
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 15:50 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 5673

Bavo, Maestro!
                                                                                Tre Bon!
                                                                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 16073

Well to be fair you could buy a couple 65" TV's with the cost of those tweeters But I certainly understand lol. They look incredible that's for sure.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15290

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                                                                    Well to be fair you could buy a couple 65" TV's with the cost of those tweeters But I certainly understand lol. They look incredible that's for sure.
                                                                                    Then you haven't seen my friend's Pioneer Elite Plasmas- he's got two, one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and each one cost about what a pair of the JDT-1024's go for!
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 16073

Well you can't buy those anymore, and I think there are cheaper plasma's and LCD's that come pretty close to the performance now days lol. But yes there are displays out there that cost more.

Comment

• meb46
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2010
                                                                                        • 398

Fantastic progress Jon... avidly watching this! I am now in Chicago nd trying to find a place to live... still weeks away from getting my cabinets landed so I am living vicariously through your efforts at the moment

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15290

Originally posted by meb46
                                                                                          Fantastic progress Jon... avidly watching this! I am now in Chicago nd trying to find a place to live... still weeks away from getting my cabinets landed so I am living vicariously through your efforts at the moment
                                                                                          Welcome to the USA! I have a customer up in Petaluma doing Solar stuff (Enphase); I work with their Power Sytems Architect, who's a relocated Kiwi also!

I was wondering if you were over here yet, given your previous quoted schedule around Feb 13!

I have data so I can adapt this crossover fairly easy to the N26 tweeter, measured at the same time. It will likely require little modification, due to the overall linearity and similar impedance and sensitivity.

OTOH, we may find that with using a bass reflex, and having the much higher upper resonance, an LCR zobel may be needed to prevent interaction with the LF crossover network.

It occurred to me this weekend that I can simulate your configuration (already have) in Unibox and export a ZDA file to use in evaluating the impedance interactions in LspCAD, so that's on the list of To-Do's for next weekend. Believe me, I'm jazzed about how the one I have running sounds, and looking forward to getting them over to the GF's soon and getting the finishing work done as well as building the 2nd Crossovers. She has a much larger family room than I have listening room, and we already pretty much know how they'll likely be set up there. It all should come together by late March at the outside, we figure. I'm quite pleased with how it's worked out applying the quasi all pass three way crossover design, as used in the NatalieP and Modula MT two ways, and plan to revisit two other three way designs with this concept in the near future. I'm also pleased at how good the relatively nearfield performance and summing is for such a large system.

Stay tuned!
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 5673

Apologies for taking things OT for a moment, however hope springs to life when you say:

......(I) plan to revisit two other three way designs with this concept in the near future.
                                                                                            Maybe one of them a bit more affable to those of us with the same grand visions but slightly more austere budgets?

Something in the $2k range (drivers & xo’s) would be a sweet spot for many I would wager.

Though I wonder if it could be possible given the requisite count & quality of components?
                                                                                            Last edited by wkhanna; 18 February 2013, 19:14 Monday. Reason: added last sentence
                                                                                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"