X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by benthe8track

Yeah they seem to use Eton drivers for most of their woofers. I don't know much about them, the don't seem to be very popular with the DIY crowd.
    They're expensive, they do have stiff non-resonant cones, but their standard motors leave something to be desired compared with Scanspeak, Seas and others- they do some custom motor designs for Avalon with underhung voice coils that are lower distortion. I built a set of Wilson Audio X1 SLAMM clones in the 90's which used the Eton 7" mid woofer and the Focal Titanium tweeter; those worked pretty well, and I've done a 2 way with their 9" woofer also. Sort of low on Xmax, though.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      Well, between work, taxes, and necessary mundane chores, there was very little left over for DIY this last weekend! However, I did finish getting the crossover wired up and some test pig tail leads ready. So, first thing this coming Friday morning I should be doing some testing and tweaking (if needed!). I have a feeling this one may be like the NatlieP- solid measurements, several generations of simulation and thought, and the first build was spot on. (Hah! Famous last words... you can throw those in my face if this doesn't work out! :W )
      My bet is your 99% and the temptation to change a least a cap value and a resister will be strong.:lol:

I'm hoping your extended weekend might still stick though. Have you ever developed a cold or few in the spring after a busy holiday weekend? :W

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dar47
        My bet is your 99% and the temptation to change a least a cap value and a resister will be strong.:lol:

I'm hoping your extended weekend might still stick though. Have you ever developed a cold or few in the spring after a busy holiday weekend? :W
        Well, actually, no, but as I was supposed to be off this project by next week, I did schedule time off for elective diagnostic medical procedures which have been delayed two years for reasons of work urgency and me not willing to give up vacation time. OTOH, I decided NOT to make that appointment this time with my Dr. either, as I give it at least 50% priority they're going to try to come back and take away the scheduled time away, even though we've had the new guy in a couple of weeks- there's more to the situation than I can go into, but it looks like I may be on the project for the duration in spite of bringing in the new PhD. We'll see. But I did have my manager convinced I severely needed next week off... whether that will stick, we'll just have to see.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

I decided NOT to make that appointment this time with my Dr.
          Jon boy, we need to talk. Preferably over a fine tequila. A priorities conversation, if you will.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
            Jon boy, we need to talk. Preferably over a fine tequila. A priorities conversation, if you will.
            You'll need to get in line behind my girl friend... but I probably need the tequila more than a nice glass of wine, which is all she's offering... :W

Priorities? How about this for a priority?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pentax-645-top-wet_zps24b94c4f.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	564.9 KB
ID:	934562

Pentax finally came out with an upgrade for my 645D- Live view, HD & 4K video, 50mpx, (up from 40), and 3x shooting speed, plus vastly greater ISO range. Just what I need for that trip to Antactica my GF wants to go on March 2015.

BTW, had a convo with my boss... he's been putting off the same stuff, basically for the same reasons.... doesn't make it good in either case. Have been planning to get this done this summer, after getting off this program, but now it looks like I likely won't be off the program until completed in October-December. What a CF!
            Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 15:25 Monday. Reason: Update image location
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

As long as the health issue isn't life threatening or going to turn seriously chronic if left unattended then I guess there's no real harm done. By the way Jon, it looks like it was raining when someone decided it was time to take the picture of the new camera

I'm guessing that's their way of showing (or should that be showering) it's quite weather proof. I don't know what the night sky is like with you over in the US, but if I were going to, or close to, one of the poles, the absence of light pollution would be the prime time to take some snaps of the Milky way etc and then there's the aurora.
              What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
              5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
              Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 5th element
                As long as the health issue isn't life threatening or going to turn seriously chronic if left unattended then I guess there's no real harm done. By the way Jon, it looks like it was raining when someone decided it was time to take the picture of the new camera

I'm guessing that's their way of showing (or should that be showering) it's quite weather proof. I don't know what the night sky is like with you over in the US, but if I were going to, or close to, one of the poles, the absence of light pollution would be the prime time to take some snaps of the Milky way etc and then there's the aurora.
                Well, as the medical thing is primarily one of those diagnostic things recommended after a certain age, AND there's a growing body of thought suggesting NOT doing it, as opposed to some alternatives, I'm not feeling this is particularly urgent. As a cancer survivor (18 years) my GF has a somewhat different outlook, but it was self examination that warned her, not the mammogram which is always being recommended.

The 645 series is the only weather sealed medium format camera I know of, and a number of other Pentax 35mm models and lenses are, too, so if you're primarily an outdoor photographer like me, that's a big draw. I do have some hopes and expectations about the photographic opportunities on this trip; I know there will be a pro photographer on the boat (we're signed up with a Sierra Club group, but it's just one group that will be on the ship), but I'm planning to do what I can on my own, as usual. I'll have to plan a little more carefully, as there won't be any chance to pick up additional supplies once we're down there (unlike being in England or Austria or the Czech Republic!). I have no idea what the sky will offer in the height of summer down there, but I'm sure it will be different than the SF Bay area- even just getting out in the mountains a bit around here makes a lot of difference- down there there should be no light pollution whatsoever! I have a couple of tripods, one lightweight CF version for mobility and a heavy duty studio tripod. Even the old 645 works very well with long exposures on a tripod for sky photography- the new one should be even better.

If things work out and I hoard my dividends over the next year, I should be able to swing this new version of the 645, but I'll take my old one just in case, as well as my 35mm for situations where lighter weight is more important. I wonder if I can come up with a setup for the kayaking?

GF will bring her big Nikon, but it's not weather sealed or rated for low temp operation (down to 18F for all my Pentax's). Now, if only I can find a way to swing the couple of additional lenses I would like... unfortunately, lenses are like guitars, you can always come up with a rationale for why you need one more...
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                  • Feb 2006

BTW, had a convo with my boss... he's been putting off the same stuff, basically for the same reasons.... doesn't make it good in either case. Have been planning to get this done this summer, after getting off this program, but now it looks like I likely won't be off the program until completed in October-December. What a CF!
                  Good God....... Do you ever get the feeling you're living in a Dilbert comic strip at work?

Tom

Name:	Dilbert.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	859074

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
                    Good God....... Do you ever get the feeling you're living in a Dilbert comic strip at work?

Tom

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23070[/ATTACH]

My gawd....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Of course, I just sent this to a bunch of friends at work- who are all out of the office for one reason or another! Also to my former manager (retired), but not to my current manager- he actually asked me this question last year, before giving me my current assignment. Then a month after giving me my current assignment, sent me an internal survey for GPTW. I said, "Are you kidding?!?!!" Vanna needs to sell that guy a clue...
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Getting a lot of "Moo"s back from co-workers I've sent this to... :W
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                        Supreme Being Moderator
                        • Sep 2009

The only comment I've got towards the health issue is that regular screening just, potentially, saved my mothers life, so don't go missing the things that you should otherwise make happen, otherwise you may be missing out on a whole lot of other stuff.
                        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                          • Feb 2006

Getting a lot of "Moo"s back from co-workers I've sent this to... :W
                          I know.... Scott regularly expresses the attitude of much of corporate America. When I was managing a team of developers, in a previous life, I told them that if they ever felt like Dilbert was hitting too close to home they had my permission to "bitch slap" me back into reality!

I can't tell you how often we'd have a regional VP come to Denver for a "group meeting" and within hours of them leaving I'd have a Dilbert cartoon taped to my door that made a complete mockery of the visit.

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
                            I know.... Scott regularly expresses the attitude of much of corporate America. When I was managing a team of developers, in a previous life, I told them that if they ever felt like Dilbert was hitting too close to home they had my permission to "bitch slap" me back into reality!

I can't tell you how often we'd have a regional VP come to Denver for a "group meeting" and within hours of them leaving I'd have a Dilbert cartoon taped to my door that made a complete mockery of the visit.

Tom
                            Strikes home, Tom... in my current position as a Senior Principal Engineer, I'm supposed to give feedback and constructive criticism to management, including upper management. (I have a long time friend who's actually made it up to the managing board, so I have a little more access than the average bear..) Still, it's often not greatly appreciated when I point out the disconnect between their initiatives for employee motivation and organizational "improvement", versus the working reality on the ground.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

The only comment I've got towards the health issue is that regular screening just, potentially, saved my mothers life, so don't go missing the things that you should otherwise make happen, otherwise you may be missing out on a whole lot of other stuff.
                              I totally hear you, and appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concern. For someone in my position, I'm probably a bit more focused on holistic health and nutrition than the average bear- even GF admits she's learned a thing or two from my inputs. I don't believe putting this off a few more months will be an issue...

Besides, it's Wednesday, Hump Day, and in two more days, it's time for...

Ardent Spring Break!
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Whoooo Boy, it's here! Ardent Spring Break!

Now I'm at a Starbucks just off Sycamore Ave in Danville- GF is going to a "liberal coffee" this morning, as she puts it, and I'm working on the plan and schedule for how I'm going to squeeze everything I need to do into the next day + week off! There's a couple more tools, like a digital protractor, headed my way to make the work a bit easier and more accurate.

As an omen, a lens I've been looking for at a reasonable price just went on the market, and with a Swiss Arca plate like the system I use; does this mean things are going my way this next week? Who knows... we'll find out. that the lens is even in CA and not Hong Kong is all the more remarkable...

So, that's all for this AM, until I have something real to report! Happy Friday, everyone!
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2002

Here's another "MOO" for ya. BTW, nice camera. AND, have a great time away from work!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Houston, we had a launch hold this morning while connectivity and gain issues were sorted out regarding the measurement microphone system; a reboot of the measurement program sorted things out, and we have measurements this morning in sunny California. The test setup is not ideal, as I'm just using the back half of the family room, behind the main sofa, with the equipment rack for measurement as far away on the left as I can get it (not very far, umm, maybe 1 meter?), and crossover assembly area and other utilities closer at hand than I'd like. But...

First measurement, 42" distance, at nominal seated listening height.

Name:	FirstMeasureonaxis42quot_zps029ec2b3.png
Views:	119
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	934563

Understand, we have the usual low frequency dip in the 40-50 Hz area due to boundary distance not optimized in the test position in this room, and there is no diffraction control in place, and no grille assembly - expect the HF response above 8 kHz to be attenuated by ~2 dB after the normal assembly is complete.

Further checks on vertical window wave launch show parameters within anticipated targets.

Name:	VerticalWindow_zpsc32389d7.png
Views:	122
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	934564

Ardent Spring Camp base, you have a launch go-ahead for this crossover configuration; do not, repeat, do not investigate crossover adjustments for now until final cabinet configuration and grille panels are ready- we will proceed for now with the configuration determined by computer simulation and confirmed by today's measurements.

Begin primary cabinet disassembly and driver unit removal after completing initial listening checks with "Spiral" (Hiromi Uhera)- main evaluation focus is bass and drum reproduction and of course, piano tonality and dynamics. Then proceed to cabinet preparation for veneering.

Name:	41lFPzrRQKL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	934565
                                    Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 15:26 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Just listened to "Gaia" from my SACD rip to 176.4/24 from SACD. It's a much better master than the CD. A good work out in the midrange from the instruments and voices, and in the bass from the drums. Just played over the acoustic test system, using Fidelia as a player, not the "good" electronics... sill, very nice. :T Bottom end reminds me of the big guys. (it should, considering the commonality of design concepts- and that's a good thing...) Will have to use this cut as demo for Northern CA DIY.

Now, it's time for some lunch and some SACD rip to 176.4/24 of Steely Dan's "Gaucho".
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benthe8track
                                        • Feb 2008

Very cool! What are you driving them with? I'm concerned my receiver wont cut it even as a temporary solution.
                                        Is the plan still to cut a star-like shape for the tweeter in the felt with a chisel? I picked up some grille cloth from solen when I received my fasteners but haven't put them together yet.

Comment

• dar47
                                          • Nov 2008

Fantastic, very exciting! look at that everything as you foreseen.

So glad you got the week off, enjoy working on those cabs too.

Comment

• 5th element
                                            Supreme Being Moderator
                                            • Sep 2009

Very cool! What are you driving them with? I'm concerned my receiver wont cut it even as a temporary solution.
                                            Is the plan still to cut a star-like shape for the tweeter in the felt with a chisel? I picked up some grille cloth from solen when I received my fasteners but haven't put them together yet.
                                            The simmed impedance that Jon posted a while back suggested that these should be pretty easy to drive, if being relatively insensitive. They qualify almost as an 8 ohm load and don't have any difficult phase angles to drive either. With most amplifiers on these loudspeakers, you'll be voltage limited, ie the amp will clip because you've run out of head room, NOT current. This is a good thing. It will mean that you're never going to trigger the protection circuitry and that the amplifier, if of less than perfect design, will sound better. Amplifier flaws tend to be exaggerated when the load impedance drops.

The receiver should be fine.

Comment

• benthe8track
                                              • Feb 2008

The simmed impedance that Jon posted a while back suggested that these should be pretty easy to drive, if being relatively insensitive. They qualify almost as an 8 ohm load and don't have any difficult phase angles to drive either. With most amplifiers on these loudspeakers, you'll be voltage limited, ie the amp will clip because you've run out of head room, NOT current. This is a good thing. It will mean that you're never going to trigger the protection circuitry and that the amplifier, if of less than perfect design, will sound better. Amplifier flaws tend to be exaggerated when the load impedance drops.

Awesome, thanks for the thorough explanation. I guess they wont be at their best but at least that poor old receiver won't explode
                                              I think the next project involves copying whatever Jon ends up doing with those ncores. My old business partner said he'd make whatever chassis I come up with out of stainless/anodized aluminum and ship it to me as I won't have access to my old equipment shortly.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

+1. Keep in mind, these are about the same sensitivity as a Modula Mt, but with more frequency extension and much more power handling. Baseline woofer system sensitivity is about 87 dB, and once you factor in about 5 dB of baffle step, then you're sitting at about 82 dB/2.83VRMS. In most of the bass/mid bass range, these are around 5 ohms or a skosh more, averaging 7-8 ohms above 800 Hz. As 5th element pointed out, they're a fairly easy load, just take a few more volts to get going. Under most listening conditions, you wouldn't notice the difference. I'd say 75-100 good watts would be fine under most conditions; if one desires more headroom, well, you only get 3 dB upping that to 150-200 watts. there's a reason people create projects like "FirstWatt" amplifier- I'd recommend the focus on the first 20 or so, of course... :W

The actual setup driving them today was just the TC Konnekt 8 into the Ayre K5 preamp and one channel of an Aragon X3; but that's certainly overkill. As it was, considering I was only driving one speaker, I had that one speaker pretty loud at times, and it wasn't at all stressed. It was hardly an ideal playback setup, just coming off my Macbook into Thunderbolt then Firewire into the TC Konnekt audio interface, and I had the TC Konnekt running at 96 kHz, and everything else was being resampled on the fly by Fidelia to that resolution, whether 44.1 CD ALAC or 176.4/24 AIFF.

One of the things I observed with the original Ardent is that you really had to get back to about 2 meters for the measurements and perceived balance to really correlate well; I didn't quite have room for that today. Where I didn't see what I heard correlating with the plots was in the upper bass-

Name:	FirstMeasureonaxis42quot_zps029ec2b3.png
Views:	120
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	934566

Where the plot above might give you the impression that things were a bit soft or down in that area, that's not what I heard at all, including on things like the high res PCM version of "Ballad of a well known gun", "Spiral", or "Gaia" or "San Marco Modena" from Consequence of Chaos SACD rip at 176.4/24. The bass is very well defined with very good pitch definition, all up and down the bass scale. "Ballad of a Well Known Gun" is a particularly fun cut with with Dee Murray on bass and Nigel Olsson, Elton John's best rhythm section by far.

I did a few other checks, and with a reverse wiring of the midrange, the expected strong dips in the crossover points are there- phase tracking appears to be spot on. (all drivers are normally wired in phase for this quasi LR3 design- just like for a NatalieP).

Later when the cabinets are more complete and the grille's and diffraction details finalized, I will go back and see if it's worthwhile to tweak the crossover, but frankly, I really liked what I heard today, very musical and very resolved and dynamic at the same time. And that was without the good gear... not even an NAD M51 DAC! Those Wavecor woofers finally bring this to the level I was originally hoping for, along with the 6640 tweeters.

For the next few days, my focus is on getting the driver test cabinet caught up with the other one, and when something is drying or setting, doing other work such as the base fabrication or second crossover fabrication. This afternoon I sanded two sides and this evening one has a fresh coat of epoxy on it. So, I expect cabinet work to dominate the next few days... and I'm looking forward to it!
                                                Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 15:26 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TEK
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2002

and I'm looking forward to it!
                                                  Good to hear, thats an impotant part of doing stuff like this :-)
                                                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• knowledgebass
                                                    • May 2013

This makes me happy and sad! I've been following this thread since I started my Ansonica build early last summer and I've gleaned tons of helpful information and enjoyed the build details and off-topic banter. It's like watching a favourite series come to its conclusion. I expect a happy ending with some wiggle room at the conclusion for a sequel :-)

Congrats to all on this build, the results really have been stunning, and this thread an excellent technical resource!

Comment

• 5th element
                                                      Supreme Being Moderator
                                                      • Sep 2009

Sequel haha. There's not a lot wrong with this design and it isn't even finished yet!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by knowledgebass
                                                        This makes me happy and sad! I've been following this thread since I started my Ansonica build early last summer and I've gleaned tons of helpful information and enjoyed the build details and off-topic banter. It's like watching a favourite series come to its conclusion. I expect a happy ending with some wiggle room at the conclusion for a sequel :-)

Congrats to all on this build, the results really have been stunning, and this thread an excellent technical resource!
                                                        Thanks for the kind words- projects like this seem to take on a life of their own, and that's especially the case when extensive collaboration occurs- it's a bit of a pity we can't readily do a picture with all three systems and the builders all together! (well, can't do it without a lot of Photoshop... never say never, you know.... )

The idea of a sequel is a little scary right now... given the amount of work involved... and mind you, last year this time, when I was in a race to get a pair of the Isiris in testable/lisenable condition, I had NO expectation or belief I'd be working on another major system build in the following year... I'm still scratching my head about how that came about (actually, it's very easy to understand- I got to play "Head Designer" and the wrecking crew in Winnipeg did all the heavy work, leaving me to just deal with final assembly, veneering, and crossover development- stuff someone SHOULD be able to toss off in a weekend or two, right? )

Anyway, it has been a real pleasure working with these guys, but it's not over until the fat lady sings through each set of speakers, where ever they're located (Winnipeg, Calgary, and Danville).
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                                                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by knowledgebass

Great sentiments. From my side it's been a blast working with Ben and I'll cherish the time spent and I'm very thankful and honored Jon took this on for us all. As far as a sequel I'm sure there isn't an option for better but if you were looking for a more economical version I would start working on,

1. 2 years of very careful Jedi mind tricks, (very careful), he is mindful.
                                                          2. Insight his passion and start a long thread involving everyone on the forum on possible driver options, (he can't resist getting involved).
                                                          3. Get a group of guys involved to do the cabs, maybe all BB or MDF. Although the effort is worth the better cab materials.
                                                          4. Send a pair of cabs and drivers to his door with no sender information and a note saying something that starts with " your mission if you choose to except is, etc."
                                                          5. Pray a lot and wait to see if his obsession continues to take hold. :W

Comment

• 5th element
                                                            Supreme Being Moderator
                                                            • Sep 2009

You know, it isn't hard to get a crossover, sparks and wires, guy excited and involved in a project like this. If you provide the cabinets etc it's almost like the perfect deal If you provide cabinets and drivers then there's basically no way they'd be able to resist.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Gosh, am I that transparent? :B

Well, I got the back coated with epoxy last night after going out to dinner at our favorite local Italian place; now there's one side left to rough in sand before epoxy, and I have a plenty of materials and time on hand.

This AM I also ordered a cap I found I was short on for the crossovers, and some nice 5/16" AWG10 ring terminals for connecting to the vampire binding posts. I expect to get the side sanded and coated, then head out to my storage unit to pick up the pieces to start assembling the temporary sprayer setup. I've also got most of the parts either bolted down or hot glued for the 2nd crossover base plate, and my digital protractor to help with crafting the base plates has shipped and is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

I also plan to bring over the DCD8 and other goodies for sorting out the re-clocking setup while I'm waiting for other stuff to set or dry...

Things are looking good for Ardent Spring Break! :T And I think we'll put some chicken on the barbie this afternoon.... :W
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                • Sep 2009

Don't worry Jon it's not just you. If someone handed me speakers with most of the hard work done, with a good home for them and said, can you please design me a crossover I'd be like...when do you want me to start?

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                                                  • Feb 2006

Gosh, am I that transparent? :B

Things are looking good for Ardent Spring Break! :T And I think we'll put some chicken on the barbie this afternoon.... :W
                                                                  When ever you talk about "Spring Break Speaker Camp" this image comes to mind:

Name:	Spring Break.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	859081

Comment

• TEK
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2002

Hi, that would be something for my livingroom - I'm sure my wife would just love that - NOT ;-)
                                                                    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                      Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                      • Sep 2009

Yes but wait, she could hang clothes on it to prevent them from creasing. It's functional too!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Yes but wait, she could hang clothes on it to prevent them from creasing. It's functional too!
                                                                        Then you'd have something fairly functional, she could even use it to preview new acquisitions such as a blouse or necklace...

OR, it could be the "compensation mannikin"- i.e., whenever you buy new speakers or drivers or a new piece of HiFi gear, hang your offering of appropriate compensating value on the mannikin. Hard to go wrong with good jewelry, I hear...

Somehow, though, I don't think there will ever be a TV reality show of "Speaker builders gone wild!". And if there is, something tells me I won't want to watch it.... :W

Well, the spray setup is coming together, while the epoxy overcoat hardens on the second cabinet. I'm just finishing my CDL at Starbucks, and heading out to Home Depot for the items I forget to pickup yesterday- tack cloths, some more carpenter's pencils, and another carpet dolly.
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15313

Slow progress yesterday -

Remember the saying about watching paint dry? watching epoxy harden is pretty similar... but today I think I'm ready to go for sanding the epoxy coat and veneering!

I did other things including tool and battery prep, and unpacking the Fuji HVLP spray- GF was somewhat gobsmacked with the complexity of that, but I had to tell her, "no, spray cans just won't do! I did pick up mixing cans with lids and other paraphernalia (filters, nitrile gloves, tack cloths, etc) needed for the spraying work- when you look at this effort involved, $300 like Ben paid to get his sprayed does seem pretty reasonable.

In the unlikely case that anyone needs reminding, DIY is not about saving money! (unless you do it very, very carefully and already are swimming in tools...)

But today should produce lots of visible progress!

And I lost the auction yesterday on the Pentax 200mm Macro lens I was bidding on, but miracle of miracles, there's another listed now, from the USA also.... and it looks to be in even better shape.

Name:	_57-3_zps125a9d33.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	934567

Doesn't mean I'll win this one either, a last minute snipe with someone determined to bid high and deep pockets will usually take it. (of course that suggests a strategy, but one I don't have deep pockets for...)
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                            Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                            • Sep 2009
                                                                            • 1671

My father followed a Canon macro lens for months on ebay, hoping to get a good deal on a good one. Trouble was that most of the idiots bidding seemed perfectly happy to pay stupid money for them, when you could just buy a new one for 5-10% more. In the end that's what he did.

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2008
                                                                              • 371

That's why I use auction sniper, you can setup a few auctions with whatever your max bid is and forget it.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15313

My father followed a Canon macro lens for months on ebay, hoping to get a good deal on a good one. Trouble was that most of the idiots bidding seemed perfectly happy to pay stupid money for them, when you could just buy a new one for 5-10% more. In the end that's what he did.
                                                                                Well, I wouldn't have any problem doing that, IF Pentax still made this lens or it's auto focus successor. (both are full frame film era lenses, just like the two FA Limited lenses I use on my 35mm Pentax). Unfortunately, they're an expensive complicated construction, that works really well and I'd be thrilled to pay what they went for new for a used one. But these days they typically go for much more than the original new price. Pentax can make very good macro lenses; their 120 mm for the 645 is an excellent lens, probably the best one on that system from what I read and based on my own experience, until the recent introduction of the 90mm macro with image stabilization built in. Very flat field of focus, very low artifacts, even under high contrast conditions, and excellent micro contrast. Their green line macro lenses are very good - better than the green line ED-(IF) telephotos. And there's not real reason not to use them in place of the telephoto's, other than price and availability. I also have the 67 series 100mm lens, which with the 67 to 645 adapter is quite good, but doesn't really beat the 120mm 645 lens.

My big challenge in life is often getting "stuck" on wanting things in limited production time frames or availability. It's especially annoying with guitars that are deliberately built in short limited runs, partly to "create value" as collectors items. Makes for problems for those who actually want to play them...
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15313

That's why I use auction sniper, you can setup a few auctions with whatever your max bid is and forget it.
                                                                                  Or you can setup your own max bid high enough anyway- it's just like 5th Element says, there are often people bidding up items because of scarcity and desirability. Fortunately, lenses don't seem to be collectors items like guitars, but scarcity and no new production of anything comparable is the problem.

I have a plan I'm working on for this one... :B
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2008
                                                                                    • 371

Or you can setup your own max bid high enough anyway- it's just like 5th Element says, there are often people bidding up items because of scarcity and desirability. Fortunately, lenses don't seem to be collectors items like guitars, but scarcity and no new production of anything comparable is the problem.

I have a plan I'm working on for this one... :B
                                                                                    The advantage of auction sniper is only really over people who sit there and increase their max bids. Auction sniper will put in your highest bid 4 seconds before the auction ends, this ensures that your competition can't increase their bid and you don't have to watch it like a hawk.
                                                                                    Last edited by benthe8track; 22 April 2014, 14:59 Tuesday.

Comment

• kevinm
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2013
                                                                                      • 417

That's why I always lose ^^

Good tip on Auction Sniper

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                                        Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                                        • Sep 2009
                                                                                        • 1671

Don't you just hate it when they stop making the things you really like >.< From loudspeaker drivers to your favourite kinds of food. I mean if these lenses are out of production then that changes things significantly. I suppose it's pointless asking if they make a current version because if they did, you'd know about it!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 15313

Don't you just hate it when they stop making the things you really like >.< From loudspeaker drivers to your favourite kinds of food. I mean if these lenses are out of production then that changes things significantly. I suppose it's pointless asking if they make a current version because if they did, you'd know about it!
                                                                                          Exactly! It's just my misfortune I suppose to have tastes that at times aren't mainstream or are a bit off the beaten path...

Sometimes I do get lucky, like my KeyB Duo MKIII, which is exactly what I want in a B3 clone, the most complete and functional, including three different generations of sampled B3. But that model was only made for a short time, and not in the USA anymore- only briefly available here, but in this case, I lucked out and did get one... their new model made in Italy has changed up some things it seems to me just to change them up, doesn't have the keyboard presets in the same way anymore, and is like something stupid done by a committee. Sure glad I have the one I have- but can't get it anymore!

So I've tended lately to not take for granted having the opportunity to get something that's really configured the way I want it, or that really addresses performance in a higher fashion (within the available means, of course...)

So I'm pulling out the stops a bit for this new listing... we'll see what happens.
                                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                                          M8ta
                                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                                          Isiris
                                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                                          Calliope
                                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15313

Tuesday Spring Break Reort

Ardent Spring Break Report

Yesterday was busy, besides another morning logistics expedition for a couple of optimally sized furniture dollys, I ALMOST finished the veneering for the second cabinet.

Name:	IMGP0281_zps7c22b95e.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	934568

I've still got the last beveled veneer piece to go, because we had a planned stop time based on evening activities that I ran up against. That will get taken care of shortly, then it's getting setup for spraying, assembling the spray vent exhaust system and getting the gun setup. I expect to at least get the sanding sealer done today and that sanded; it will probably be too late to do the main spraying on these today, unless things go quicker than I expect. Plus we have a light dinner date out this evening, and a cool front did move in yesterday, though no rain with it.

I did take a some instructional pictures, too, for the official hints and tips build thread, California Dreamin' version. (as opposed to the RCMP version? )

I'm even more impressed with DAR47 doing the veneer job for both of his in just one long day... that's either righteous or crazy, or a little of both! I'm really itching to see how these look after the coats of sanding sealer, because that will show the darkening and contrast of the birds eye, or as much as I'll get from this set.
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 15:27 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"