X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank
    +2 for MLCS
    Jon: have you considered doing that line array as Open Baffle, similar to young John's project?
    Pretty much decided THESE will be the mid woofers, and it will be a corner system, monopole line array.

Click image for larger version

Name:	esound-6nd430-size281.gif
Views:	130
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	936742

Very smooth SPL response, and very low distortion.

Name:	6ND430-16-HD.gif
Views:	125
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	936743

My apologies for the minor thread-jack!
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 10:08 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    I don't know why, but it seems to happen to everyone, me included, that space for the crossover is the last thing that gets attention and planning... which can really bite you in the butt later on!

Leave a comment:

• sdl2112
    replied
    Looking good :T Plenty of room for the x-over I see...mine is going to be a little tight.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    For Jon ..... "fiddly bits"

As Jon would call it, lots and lots of "fiddly bits". Between the baffles and the crossover compartment, 62 - 8/32" brass inserts ......

Name:	DSC_0264_resize.JPG
Views:	3347
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	857862

Name:	DSC_0266_resize.JPG
Views:	3343
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	857863

Name:	DSC_0269_resize.JPG
Views:	3311
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	857864

Checking the fit ... for a change I got the inserts where they were supposed to be. Now I have to order some black screws from McMaster-Carr to blend in with the drivers.

Name:	DSC_0274_resize.JPG
Views:	3452
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	857865

Name:	DSC_0277_resize.JPG
Views:	3244
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	857866
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 10:07 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Working on the crossover compartment

Framing the crossover compartment with baltic birch plywood ..... I figured I would have less of an issue with splitting once I screwed in threaded inserts.

Name:	DSC_0162_resize.JPG
Views:	3413
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	857858

Name:	DSC_0256_resize.JPG
Views:	3327
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	857859

You can also see the crossover board that will hold the parts and the holes for feeding wiring in and out of the compartment .....

Name:	DSC_0252_resize.JPG
Views:	3347
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	857860

Name:	DSC_0245_resize.JPG
Views:	3315
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	857861
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 10:07 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by JonMarsh
    Serious progress continues! Got a notion when you'll be putting them together with drivers, or is the allocation of spare time too iffy this time of year?
    Unfortunately the second of the two. I was out of town this past weekend for family commitments, though I did visit a killer lumber yard up in Pennsylvania and picked up some nice bubinga that I will be using to trim out the bottom of the cabinets. I have the better part of two weeks off work over xmas but I will be out north of Seattle for half of that visiting my family and the remainder in Maryland with my wife's family. Spending time with family is of course the important thing, but it's still going to kill me knowing I could be working on the project especially that things are starting to get some what close.

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Serious progress continues! Got a notion when you'll be putting them together with drivers, or is the allocation of spare time too iffy this time of year?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Another big mess

Another one of the big honking MLCS bits ......

Name:	DSC_0153_resize.JPG
Views:	3544
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	857853

This time put a bevel on the back side of the mid and bass holes ....

Name:	DSC_0152_resize.JPG
Views:	3530
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	857854

Name:	DSC_0157_resize.JPG
Views:	3438
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	857855

Name:	DSC_0154_resize.JPG
Views:	3509
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	857856

And then the sawdust clean up ... again.
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 10:06 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by sdl2112
    Those baffles are looking very nice Steve :T

Thanks Scott ...Can't wait to get them glued in place, but I'm making sure I get all the internal work done first so I don't arrive at another duh moment and discover there in the way.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    +2 for MLCS I've bought all my bits from them for several years. Plus, I've got a few of these Merle clamps that I've used on many cabinet glue-ups:
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...rle_clamp.html I've got a 1 1/4" roundover, but have yet to need such a large radius edge treatement.
    Steve, I built my router table cabinet with a door to the router compartment that seals, and a 3" vac hose outlet on the back of that compartment - works great, along with a small hose outlet on my fence. With your skills, you could easily build and attach a door to your cab and add a hose outlet.
    Jon: have you considered doing that line array as Open Baffle, similar to young John's project?

Hank, Modifying the router table cabinet dust collection is now on the to-do list, along with a cyclone pre-stage for my dust collector that's been on the list. I have one of these http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11312 that I am thinking about attaching to the back of the cabinet with some quick disconnect clamps and then put in a tee with a smaller hose to the fence like your suggesting. What ever I do it has to go on and off quickey so I can change bits out easily.

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    +2 for MLCS I've bought all my bits from them for several years. Plus, I've got a few of these Merle clamps that I've used on many cabinet glue-ups:
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...rle_clamp.html I've got a 1 1/4" roundover, but have yet to need such a large radius edge treatement.
    Steve, I built my router table cabinet with a door to the router compartment that seals, and a 3" vac hose outlet on the back of that compartment - works great, along with a small hose outlet on my fence. With your skills, you could easily build and attach a door to your cab and add a hose outlet.
    That concept originated back in 2003 or so, and I actually had a bunch of MCM 6-1/2" carbon fiber mid woofers, which mostly measure sort of decent, but had an impedance bobble in a the midrange that upon investigation turned up to be a cone resonance.

Sure, dipole is possible, but opens up more worms and questions- like how dipole do you want it to be? where will one tolerate flare as you fall out of dipole operation going up in frequency?

since John IS doing this, takes the pressure off of me... :W

Not sure what midwoofer I'd use if I was to try this... would have to be something pretty clean, but just up to 1 kHz or so (600Hz crossover). But Geez, can you imagine what a half dozen Illuminators per side would cost!!??!? :E

ON the other hand, a built in, in the corners of my GF's family room would be interesting for HT... No BSC, position the height for seating to standing listening position... RS180's? NatalieP style crossover? Hmmmm... :yesnod:

Leave a comment:

• sdl2112
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Manning
    After getting the baffles glued up, I put an 1 1/4" round over on the edges ..... talk about making a major mess of the garage !!!
    Those baffles are looking very nice Steve :T

Leave a comment:

• Hank
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by JonMarsh

MLCS is great, aren't they? I've got some of their big honkers, too, though the project idea I bought those for has been languishing a long time (line array's).

And unbelievably, I even found a pic (though not on my current Mac).

Click image for larger version  Name:	JKA-ModoulaLine_SubSS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	936740

The woofer only assembly is:

Click image for larger version  Name:	JKA-ModoulaSubSealedSS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	936741

Well, I'm already running out of places to put stuff like this... so... umm, ermm, well, never say never...

:rofl:
    Yep, I love MLCS, I'm awaiting a few more bits to be delivered from them as we speak. Their prices are very reasonable and with their Katana line you have the option of buying a higher quality bit if you know your going to be using it a lot. I think what I like the most is the free shipping, buy one bit or ten, it's the same price ..... free.

Like the line array concept by the way. :T
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 10:05 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by oneplustwo
    Hmm, I was thinking double that. Not bad at all. How many passes did you take to get to the final pass?
    I think I ended up doing about 4 or 5 passes. If I had a larger router I might have been able to do fewer but the slower approach seemed to pay off pretty well since the round overs turned out pretty smooth, and the router is still happy.

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    Actually not too bad, $39 at http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ound_over.html they have pretty good prices and free shipping on everything.
    MLCS is great, aren't they? I've got some of their big honkers, too, though the project idea I bought those for has been languishing a long time (line array's).

And unbelievably, I even found a pic (though not on my current Mac).

Name:	JKA-ModoulaLine_SubSS.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	936740

The woofer only assembly is:

Name:	JKA-ModoulaSubSealedSS.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	936741

Well, I'm already running out of places to put stuff like this... so... umm, ermm, well, never say never...

:rofl:
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 09:37 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• oneplustwo
    replied
    Hmm, I was thinking double that. Not bad at all. How many passes did you take to get to the final pass?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by oneplustwo
    That's a ridiculously large round over bit! Probably worth more than my entire router setup!
    Actually not too bad, $39 at http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ound_over.html they have pretty good prices and free shipping on everything.

Leave a comment:

• oneplustwo
    replied
    That's a ridiculously large round over bit! Probably worth more than my entire router setup!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Making a big mess ......

After getting the baffles glued up, I put an 1 1/4" round over on the edges ..... talk about making a major mess of the garage !!!

Name:	DSC_0141_resize.JPG
Views:	3151
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	857836

Name:	DSC_0142_resize.JPG
Views:	3066
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	857837

Name:	DSC_0143_resize.JPG
Views:	3700
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	857838

Even though I used the dust collector I apparently need to make some modifications to my dust collection setup on the router table!

Name:	DSC_0145_resize.JPG
Views:	3122
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	857839

Name:	DSC_0147_resize.JPG
Views:	2970
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	857840
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 09:33 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Very nice work, Steve. I'm liking that heavy duty workbench! Did you build it?

Thanks Hank. Yes I did build the workbench, other than time, it cost me less than a third to do it myself rather than buy one. It's a big jump up from saw horses and plywood to build things on. A 4" thick top with 5" square legs tend to stay where you put it, which is handy when trying to put things together.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Hank
    replied
    Very nice work, Steve. I'm liking that heavy duty workbench! Did you build it?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Circles and more circles...

Continued with baffle work, had to get a larger Jasper jig for the woofer cutouts ....

Name:	DSC_0124_resize.JPG
Views:	3193
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	857824

Name:	DSC_0126_resize.JPG
Views:	3235
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	857825

Checking the fit of the drivers .....

Name:	DSC_0105_resize.JPG
Views:	3171
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	857826

All of the layers done ....

Name:	DSC_0128_resize.JPG
Views:	3196
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	857827

Name:	DSC_0134_resize.JPG
Views:	3264
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	857828
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 09:32 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul K.
    What you probably could have done was to use the same-shaped piece for the other side underneath the piece you wanted to round over, do that piece, then flip in over and round over the edge of the other piece. I've done exactly this before.
    Paul
    Good idea Paul, I'll keep it in mind for the next time that I'm sure to to the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    What you probably could have done was to use the same-shaped piece for the other side underneath the piece you wanted to round over, do that piece, then flip in over and round over the edge of the other piece. I've done exactly this before.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• JonMarsh
    replied
    That is a familiar sort of feeling- "Duh!" moments! Innovation is the key to recovery, and you've got yours well under control! :W

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    A duh moment

Went to put a 1/2" round over on a 1/2" thick board and come to the realization that there is no where for the guide bearing to sit on !! Had to make a template the same shape as side cladding to get around that.

Name:	DSC_0082_resize.JPG
Views:	3273
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	857810

Name:	DSC_0085_resize.JPG
Views:	3340
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	857811

Name:	DSC_0086_resize.JPG
Views:	3232
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	857812

Quick look on the cabinet to see how it looks ...

Name:	DSC_0090_resize.JPG
Views:	3196
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	857813

Name:	DSC_0095_resize.JPG
Views:	3235
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	857814
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 09:31 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• diamondjoequimb
    replied
    Impressive cabinet construction!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    I'll be using rattle can spray paint...I have my fingers crossed. I've done a lot of research for surface preparation. It would be interesting to hear what technique your guy uses.

Your build is looking good :T
    I think he uses a compressor and spray gun, typical stuff for painting a car I guess. We have to get together and go over logistics and pick colors before we get started.

I have an Earlex sprayer that I have used to paint a tv stand that turned out pretty well, but I want to get the best finish I can and figured I'd use someone that does this at a more professional level then what I could do.

Leave a comment:

• sdl2112
    replied
    Hey Scott ..... I'm going to be painting these, actually I'm having them painted by a guy I work with that does car restoration. Then a little bubinga trim around the bottom of the cabinet, something like the pictures I posted at the beginning of the thread.

Steve
    I'll be using rattle can spray paint...I have my fingers crossed. I've done a lot of research for surface preparation. It would be interesting to hear what technique your guy uses.

Your build is looking good :T

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Trimming baffles

After trimming baffle to length ....

Name:	DSC_0071_resize.JPG
Views:	3432
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	857804

Name:	DSC_0072_resize.JPG
Views:	3357
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	857805

After flush trimming the baffle. Found that the attached vacuum hose did very little to catch the mdf dust since the bit extended so much lower than the bottom of the router. Had to open both garage doors and turn the leaf blower loose to clean up the mess ....

Name:	DSC_0075_resize.JPG
Views:	3356
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	857806

Name:	DSC_0078_resize.JPG
Views:	3344
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	857807

Name:	DSC_0079_resize.JPG
Views:	3449
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	857808
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 09:18 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Starting the baffles

Getting things setup for the baffles to go in place....

Name:	DSC_0054_resize.JPG
Views:	3373
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	857799

Name:	DSC_0057_resize.JPG
Views:	3369
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	857800

Name:	DSC_0059_resize.JPG
Views:	3312
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	857801

Not as beefy as one of Jon's baffles but at 2" thick they still add some appreciable weight to the cabinets .......

Name:	DSC_0060_resize.JPG
Views:	3407
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	857802

Name:	DSC_0063_resize.JPG
Views:	3386
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	857803
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 09:13 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Nice Steve, how do you plan on finishing them...paint, veneer...?
    Hey Scott ..... I'm going to be painting these, actually I'm having them painted by a guy I work with that does car restoration. Then a little bubinga trim around the bottom of the cabinet, something like the pictures I posted at the beginning of the thread.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• sdl2112
    replied
    Nice Steve, how do you plan on finishing them...paint, veneer...?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Side Cladding

While trimming boards to size early in the project I end up with a thin piece of baltic birch plywood that came in handy for laying out the curve for side cladding pieces ......

Name:	DSC_0037_resize.JPG
Views:	3339
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	857789

Name:	DSC_0039_resize.JPG
Views:	3363
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	857790

I ended up with a pretty good curve to follow on the band saw ....

Name:	DSC_0045_resize.JPG
Views:	3320
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	857791

Temporarily attached one of the sides to get a feel of how it would look ....

Name:	DSC_0048_resize.JPG
Views:	3635
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	857792

Name:	DSC_0049_resize.JPG
Views:	3342
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	857793
    Last edited by theSven; 16 May 2023, 08:54 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    After getting the second side on I was not satisfied with how the back sounded during a knuckle test, even with the carpet tiles added. The bracing worked very well on the sides but was not doing as good a job on the back. So I decided to add an additional layer of 1/2" mdf to the back area. This seemed to balance things out well, even though these things are starting to get a bit heavy!

Name:	DSC_0008_resize.JPG
Views:	3566
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	857777

Name:	DSC_0014_resize.JPG
Views:	3670
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	857778

Name:	DSC_0015_resize.JPG
Views:	3572
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	857779

One cabinet with and without the extra layer.

Name:	DSC_0025_resize.JPG
Views:	3654
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	857780
    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 22:13 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Gluing on the final side .....

Name:	107_resize2.JPG
Views:	3624
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	857773

Trying out the new sanding block for a little clean up .....

Name:	CSC_0007_resize.JPG
Views:	3700
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	857774

Name:	DSC_0002_resize.JPG
Views:	3574
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	857775

Name:	DSC_0003_resize.JPG
Views:	3795
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	857776
    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 22:12 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Originally posted by gbegland
    Make sure to use some 2"+ rigid fiberglass or Bonded Logic inside the cabs behind the mid and woofer. Looking excellent so far. Thanks for all the build porn!

Greg
    Thanks Greg. I was thinking about using some extra wool stuffing from Madisound that I have for the mid. cabinet and picking up a 5 lb bag of Acousta-Stuf from Parts Express for the bass cabinet.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• gbegland
    replied
    Make sure to use some 2"+ rigid fiberglass or Bonded Logic inside the cabs behind the mid and woofer. Looking excellent so far. Thanks for all the build porn!

Greg

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Great job with the carpet tile... :T What did you use for the adhesive?
    Thanks ...... I used Loctite Pro Line Premium Construction Adhesive and threw some staples in to hold things in place will that set up. Seems to be holding pretty well so far.

Leave a comment:

• sdl2112
    replied
    Great job with the carpet tile... :T What did you use for the adhesive?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Cabinet Dampening

Troels design called for using bitumen and felt on the cabinet walls for dampening. After discovering that the type of felt he uses is tough to find in the US, and not wanting to deal with the smell of the bitumen, I decided to give an idea of Tony Gee's over at Humble Homemade Hifi a try .... carpet tile.

Name:	84_resize.JPG
Views:	3813
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	857764

Name:	88_resize.JPG
Views:	3703
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	857765

Name:	90_resize.JPG
Views:	3675
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	857766

Name:	91_resize.JPG
Views:	3851
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	857767

It took a while to get everything cut and glued into place but it has made a big difference with the knuckle test on the walls.
    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 22:12 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Pics

Checking out port tube fit .......

Name:	66_resize.jpg
Views:	3744
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	857761

Cabinet starts getting some glue .......

Name:	74_resize.JPG
Views:	3647
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	857762

Name:	78_resize.JPG
Views:	3821
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	857763
    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 22:11 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Leave a comment:

• Steve Manning
    replied
    Steve, thanks for the inspiration...I started my build thread

On my way over to look .......

Leave a comment:

• sdl2112
    replied
    Cool Scott, I'm looking forward to your thread.
    Steve, thanks for the inspiration...I started my build thread

Leave a comment:

Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"