X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

You could use a CL-30 Negative Temperature Coefficient thermistor for soft start duties - Cold it has a high resistance that drops when warm. Some may argue that they impact the sound due to the resitance in the mains circuit. I use them in my Leach amps and A75s and cannot hear a differnce when they are in or out of the circuit. I stopped blowing fuses when I added them, though. A few bucks at Mouser, one extra postion on a terminal strip and you're in business.

Comment

• thylantyr
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by BobEllis
      You could use a CL-30 Negative Temperature Coefficient thermistor for soft start duties - Cold it has a high resistance that drops when warm. Some may argue that they impact the sound due to the resitance in the mains circuit. I use them in my Leach amps and A75s and cannot hear a differnce when they are in or out of the circuit. I stopped blowing fuses when I added them, though. A few bucks at Mouser, one extra postion on a terminal strip and you're in business.
      Thermistors are good for class A amps due to
      continous current draw which keeps the thermistor
      hot so it keeps resistance low. But I wouldn't use them
      otherwise. When they cool, lets say on a soft musical
      passage, resistance rises current limiting the power
      supply. Audible efffects will be subjective. 8)

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Many SMPS use NTC's for inrush current limiting, but then bypass them with a relay at the end of soft start.

This is getting WAY too close to my day job!

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• thylantyr
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          Many SMPS use NTC's for inrush current limiting, but then bypass them with a relay at the end of soft start.

This is getting WAY too close to my day job!

~Jon
          Seems like a retarded idea. NTC + Relay. My QSC amp
          has this too. I added more rail capacitance on the input
          side and the poor ole' SL32 thermistor went up in smoke.

Image not available

I found a bigger replacement, but cost $6 + shipping, etc.

Instead, I bought four 50 Ohm 5W resistors at the surplus
          store for 25 cents each.

Image not available​

and installed it in the amp;

Image not available​

I'm testing the amp with two big caps -- for evil fun --

Images not available​

For more fun + punishment {funishment<tm>},
          I use the old school 'water bucket' load.

Link not available​
          Last edited by theSven; 27 August 2023, 10:02 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image and url links

Comment

• Brian Walter
            • Sep 2005

Dougie, I'm not exactly sure what the softstart ciruit is that you are refering to, is it an inrush current limiter or a circuit that turns on the amplifiers when is senses a signal? I guess it doesn't really matter because Rod Elliot has circuits for both on his website. The low signal turn on circuit can be found here http://sound.westhost.com/project38.htm, if you want to try using that. I'm sure you could make that for well under the $69.50 price. And if it was me, I would use power caps that are rated at least 15% over the rail voltage, if not more.

Brian Walter

Comment

• thylantyr
              • Nov 2004

And if it was me, I would use power caps that are rated at least 15% over the rail voltage, if not more.

I would also, but I was checking out my Crest 10k and
              they are using 67V {95V surge} caps on 80V rails.. // lol //

Brave engineering at work

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Brian Walter
                ...a circuit that turns on the amplifiers when is senses a signal? ... The low signal turn on circuit can be found here http://sound.westhost.com/project38.htm, ...
                I built this circuit for use with my computer driven bedroom system. Leave yourself plenty of room to adjust the sensitivity. I ended up doubling the gain of the input buffer and still find it turns off if the volume is at a low listening level, like background music or going to sleep to some new age stuff.

I also found that I got a lot of crosstalk with 10K input resistors. I just use the left channel now.

Comment

• Cowanrg
                  • Feb 2004

there is more beneft to a soft-start than just NOT blowing fuses...

i use 1.7kva transformers on my UCD400's. and they are NOISY as hell if just started up cold after sitting overnight. however, if i use a softstart to start them up, they are very quiet. supposedly soft-starts can make components warm up more gracefully, thus prolonging component life, and possibly making things sound better.

i know that my transformers will almost always hum very loudly for the first hour or so that they are on unless i use a soft-start on them. then, they are quiet from turn on. plus, its just nice to be able to turn something on and not have to worry about things... think if your power goes out and comes back on again? or those times when it flickers on and off. if you dont have a softstart, your fuse or something else is going. its just a nice thing to have. just becuase its not absolutely necessary doesnt mean its not a good thing to have.

im also installing dc blockers for my toriods too. i like a dead-quiet amp.

Comment

• mikec
                    • Mar 2005

IME a soft start circuit is not necessary with UcD amplifiers (unless you are craving added complexity and cost). The three-channel amps that I built have a total of 70,000uF of filtering and start up w/o any problem with a 5A fuse. The Hypex modules are normally on all the time and can be put into idle mode with the flip of a switch. So, the filter caps are always charged.

Images not available
                    Last edited by theSven; 27 August 2023, 10:07 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"