X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audio_ElF
    • Oct 2007

Bowers and Wilkins sell Classé

So Classé has been sold to Sound Unitied (owner of Marantz and Denon amongst others)...

On the eve of CES 2018, Sound United today announced that it has acquired Classé Audio, the Canadian maker of high-performance AV components. Founded in 1980, Classé had been owned and distributed by Bowers & Wilkins. Dave Nauber will remain as president under the deal. With the acquisition, Classé joins a family of iconic audio brands — Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, and Boston Acoustics — under the Sound United umbrella.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Well, shit.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Audio_ElF
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Alaric
      Well, shit.
      I’m not sure if you think this is a good development or a bad one?

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Denon and Marantz have fared reasonably well in that group, but Boston Acoustics no longer offers anything close to my VR-M series speakers (15 years and still going as of April in my main system) and are no longer on any of my speaker shopping lists. Time will tell with Classé.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
          I’m not sure if you think this is a good development or a bad one?
          Boston Acoustics no longer offers anything close to my VR-M series speakers (15 years and still going as of April in my main system) and are no longer on any of my speaker shopping lists.
          I assume Classe wasn't making (sufficient) money, so B&W got rid of them. I can easily imagine trying to make the brand appeal to a more mainstream customer base. I guess we'll find out eventually. With the recent activity at Classe headquarters, I wonder if all that was sold was a brand.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Norm
            • Mar 2011

One also must correlate Classe's sale with Bowers and Wilkins' recent change in ownership:

Bowers & Wilkins, an audio gear brand that has been familiar to millions for decades, is being bought out by EVA Automation, a two-year-old company that has never released a product. Yet the old company's name and CEO will remain. You're not going to hear about a weirder deal today.

Recall the comments at the time of that sale (quoting from the linked article):
            "Bowers & Wilkins, an audio gear brand that has been familiar to millions for decades, has been bought out by EVA Automation, a two-year-old company that has never released a product. Yet the old company’s name and CEO will remain. You’re not going to hear about a weirder deal today. EVA Automation is the company founded by Gideon Yu, currently an advisor at Formation 8 , but well known from his involvement in various top-tier funding rounds at major tech companies, from Square to Facebook. The mission at EVA is to “reimagining the audio/video experience by making products that will change how people interact and think about the home.” That’s proving difficult, it seems: EVA has no products to speak of. Solution: buy a company that does!"

Given the stated goal "reimagining the audio/video experience by making products that will change how people interact and think about the home" my guess would be EVA is more interested in the Zeppelin than a rack of Classé.

Comment

• Norm
              • Mar 2011

Another take: What Really Happened with Classé Audio?
              Jerry Del Colliano provides more details on Classé Audio's recent sale from Bowers & Wilkins to Sound United.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Norm
                Another take: What Really Happened with Classé Audio?
                https://hometheaterreview.com/what-r...-classe-audio/
                Thank you!

Interesting read. So Classe was a goner before Sound United bought them. It will be interesting to see what they do with positioning now that they have McIntosh and Classe.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                  Interesting read. So Classe was a goner before Sound United bought them. It will be interesting to see what they do with positioning now that they have McIntosh and Classe.
                  McIntosh was never a part of Sound United.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Oops. I was thinking D&M Holdings? What happened to McIntosh?

Edit: I looked it up. I didn't know (obviously) that they sold McIntosh that long ago. Today was officially a success, I learned something. :T
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"