X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erik LeBeau
    • Nov 2014

Classé CA-5100

A quick question about this multichannel. There's one for sale somewhere at a very good price.

Can I do bridging to harness more power with it since I will probably not use it as a multi-channel and have all these channels free.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I don't believe it's bridgeable.

You can use a splitter and use 2 of the channels for your speakers (if they allow bi-amping).
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

In theory they are, as Classe actually told me how to do it but they said it was not recommended. It isn't a case of flicking a switch on the back though it is a bit more complicated than that as you basically have to bridge it yourself and it can only be done with the balanced inputs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

And I didn't actually do it on my 5200 in the end as I thought it may put the amps under too much stress. The amps only see half the impedance so with 802s like mine you end up with each amp only seeing about 1.5 ohms which is not good for the amp!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Those amps are rated at 100 Classé watts per channel - not music power, or peak power, or some other trick term to make it sound better than it really is. I drove my 802d's with a 5100 for a year or so, and it managed very well. As TomScrut says, bridging is not necessarily a good idea as the impedance becomes so low.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

Yeah the x100s are good, there wasn't a lot in it between a CAP-2100 my friend has and my CA-5200 at the time into my 803Ss. Just a bit more bass with the 5200. Having said that, the CA-2300 is way better with the 802 Diamonds than the CA-5200. Not that the CA-5200 was bad or anything, great amp!

What speakers are you using?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"