• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LED14
    • Oct 2014

CAP2100 maintenance?

Hello People,
    I have this amp and I love it.
    I got it ex demo from a dealer a few months ago and it's 8 years old.

I wonder if it needs to go through some maintenance? I read capacitors can drift and it affects the sound? What's your experience with those.

I looked at the service menu and this unit has been running for about 160 days in total (3,840 hours).

Your thoughts are appreciated!
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Has there been any degradation in the sound? I would say probably not, and you know the old adage........If it ain't broke....don't fix it!!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

I don't think it will have had enough use to need re capping. I think 8 years is about the age one may consider that if it has been getting used every day

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• LED14
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by TomScrut
        I don't think it will have had enough use to need re capping. I think 8 years is about the age one may consider that if it has been getting used every day

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
        Ok Guys,
        I think you are right. I just read about recapping and what amazing things it can do to your amp but I guess if it's that good than don't mess with it.

I just which the gain in SSP (power amp) mode wasn't as strong, oh well, still sounds awesome!

Thanks!

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Get some attenuators perhaps?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• LED14
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by TomScrut
            Get some attenuators perhaps?

Thanks,
            I tried using the amp in integrated mode as well as lowering the gain on that channel in power amp mode and in both cases I can clearly hear a reduction in the soundstage scale... I presume attenuator would have a similar effect, not to mention getting another pair of cables? no?

Comment

• TomScrut
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Nov 2013

You may not need another pair of cables but probably as I think they are female to female rca normally. And I don't know what to say about the soundstage. I think it will be that you aren't matching volume properly and therefore the louder one sounds better.

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by LED14
                Hello People,
                I have this amp and I love it.
                I got it ex demo from a dealer a few months ago and it's 8 years old.

I wonder if it needs to go through some maintenance? I read capacitors can drift and it affects the sound? What's your experience with those.

I looked at the service menu and this unit has been running for about 160 days in total (3,840 hours).

Your thoughts are appreciated!
                Leave the amp alone. As long as you don't have noise issues, no bulging or leaking caps, leave it alone. Classe products are conservatively built. Sound design will allow for variance in parts tolerance. IMO you don't need to entertain recapping for at least another 10 years. Too much capacitor-nervosa going around.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I agree with Glen B. Classé quality is way beyond this.

The pic is not from a 2100, but it shows bulging leaking electrolytics - these (generally in the PSU) are easy to spot and should be changed. Samsung TV's are famous for using bad quality electrolytic capacitors. Classé amps are not!

- Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• LED14
                    • Oct 2014

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

• dan87951
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                      I agree with Glen B. Classé quality is way beyond this.

The pic is not from a 2100, but it shows bulging leaking electrolytics - these (generally in the PSU) are easy to spot and should be changed. Samsung TV's are famous for using bad quality electrolytic capacitors. Classé amps are not!

My Classe amp didn't even last 7 years before it had a total melt down after turning it on one morning. I bought the amp brand new from Classic Stereo and Classe didn't even seem to care that my expensive amp only had a 7 year life span. Maybe I expected too much? Classe did offer to look at it for about $1k, but I respectfully declined. I traded the amp in on a new McIntosh and haven't looked back. I haven't kept up on Classe, but have been told their amps are now made in China, not exactly confidence inspiring. 8O I'm not trying to bash them just telling my experience with their equipment.
                      dan87951
                      audio guru

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"