X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deseroner
    • Jul 2011

Cav-180 or ca-5100 which one I need power to my lsi15

Which one is better ca-5100 or cav-180 I got 4 ohm speakers
    Last edited by deseroner; 12 May 2014, 02:59 Monday.
    Meridian 861v4 rev one filter soon v8 firmware, classe ca-5100 , lsi15 modified capacitors ,snell xa1900 center,rs-7 klipsch surrounds. Bdt 220 bluray using as a flac player,oppo bdp80 for multi analogue 5.1 .
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Why not a CA 5200 they are far more common than the other two as far as I am aware
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• deseroner
      • Jul 2011

I sold my s700 amp and cav75 so I can get a multi amp instead.
      Meridian 861v4 rev one filter soon v8 firmware, classe ca-5100 , lsi15 modified capacitors ,snell xa1900 center,rs-7 klipsch surrounds. Bdt 220 bluray using as a flac player,oppo bdp80 for multi analogue 5.1 .

Comment

• deseroner
        • Jul 2011

Can't get 5200 at the moment

Comment

• deseroner
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by TomScrut
          Why not a CA 5200 they are far more common than the other two as far as I am aware
          Last edited by deseroner; 21 April 2014, 09:17 Monday.

Comment

• deseroner
            • Jul 2011

We'll in the end my heart said let's get the newer delta amps ca-5100 I got good deal on it . Anyone with feedback on how the ca5100 sounds . Thx

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

The CA-5100 is a great amp, and it won't have any trouble driving your 4 ohm speakers - it doesn't have the grunt of the 5200, but its a lot smaller/cheaper/lighter, and you may may not need that low end power anyway, especially not for all channels (e.g., in a small room, or with a sub-woofer). If/when you want something bigger, you can add a 2200/2300 for the front pair, and keep the 5100 for the surrounds (this is what I did). I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• deseroner
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by mjb
                The CA-5100 is a great amp, and it won't have any trouble driving your 4 ohm speakers - it doesn't have the grunt of the 5200, but its a lot smaller/cheaper/lighter, and you may may not need that low end power anyway, especially not for all channels (e.g., in a small room, or with a sub-woofer). If/when you want something bigger, you can add a 2200/2300 for the front pair, and keep the 5100 for the surrounds (this is what I did). I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
                man i am mad ,long story short i got a cav-180 last night on ebay, the guy that sold the ca5100 was too much trouble was selling for 2350 but gave me the runaround, so last night i got a cav-180 1695 free shipping, i also consider a euro model ca2200 it is selling for 1500$ plus 400$ shipping but power is 220/230 i am in the usa so i need 110/120. so for now i am going to settle for the cav-180 . have you heard the cav-180 . how is it.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

The CAV-180 is a beast (in a good way, it weighs almost as much as my wife!), and I think you got a good price. You're going to love it, so don't be too mad! Please report back when you've got it online
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• deseroner
                    • Jul 2011

Comes Thursday . Using meridian 568.2nm . Any opinions on a classe ssp300.

Comment

• deseroner
                      • Jul 2011

Will definitely report back

Comment

• TomScrut
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by deseroner
                        Comes Thursday . Using meridian 568.2nm . Any opinions on a classe ssp300.
                        I thought the SSP300 was good for the 7.1 input but I didn't like the fact that there was no analogue pass through on the stereo inputs. So everything went through the SSPs ADC and DAC which kind of defeated the point in upgrading source components. The 7.1 input was the only one with the pass through. Apart from that I liked it
                        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• deseroner
                          • Jul 2011

Well I say it is very musical which I like so far . Going to try ssp300 , got me one to see if it sounds better than 568.2 . So far I am happy .

Comment

• deseroner
                            • Jul 2011

I use flac thru my bd player using analog outs . Meridian makes everything sound better. I have not even installed the last existing firmware that change all the dsp and sound. It is a hot amplifier I had to install a fan to exhaust the heat out.

Comment

• mjb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

The amp looks great, congratulations, glad you like it. They like plenty of air around them though (the Meridian too) as you're finding. You might want to think about cutting some 2 inch holes in the cabinet base to let some air up through it. I not a fan fan (hate fan noise), and unless you have a good flow, you'll just be moving the warm air and dust around. I ended up sitting my amps on top (my cabinet isn't so high) so they could happilly convect. Interested to hear your comparison of the Meridian 568.2 and SSP-300.
                              - Mike

Main System:
                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• deseroner
                                • Jul 2011

Quick iphone video http://youtu.be/iXJYvXEITr4

Comment

• Roy2
                                  • May 2014

Well I say it is very musical which I like so far . Going to try ssp300 , got me one to see if it sounds better than 568.2 . So far I am happy .
                                  What did you think of the ssp300, how does it pair with the CAV180?

When you say that amp runs hot, any hotter than others you have owned? I think it operates in class A for a while - which makes sense with the heat.

Most importantly, how are you liking the CAV180 sound? How would you describe it?

Comment

• deseroner
                                    • Jul 2011

I have received it yet . I get it Friday.

I am trying to sell my 180 and get my hands on a delta got a great deal on a 5100. 180 sounds great but I still want a delta amp. I got a fan install helps keep the temps down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Roy2
                                      • May 2014

Just wondering why do you want the delta amp over the CAV, I would expect both to have the same sonic characteristics?

That said the delta stuff looks fantastic and would pair nicely with the ssp300 I suspect.

Comment

• deseroner
                                        • Jul 2011

Well they said it more detailed than cav-180 . I originally wanted it also .

Comment

• deseroner
                                          • Jul 2011

Ok guys sold meridian today for 900 and ssp should be here any minute . Got 300 for 700 . Ok also bought me a ca5100 2100. plus it has trigger on ssp I need amp to trigger amp and subwoofer. Meridian made a little difficult to power on and off for WIFE. So you know I had to get it right. Will try out ssp with cav-180 still on sale 1400 . So will feedback soon.

Comment

• deseroner
                                            • Jul 2011

Ok the classe ssp300 could not match my meridian 568.2 2.5 firmware at all musically , home theater I give a little edge ssp300. I also sold the 180 locally along with ssp300. It sounds good but I tell you the meridian is something else .so I will have feedback with ca5100 amplifier.
                                            Last edited by deseroner; 12 May 2014, 03:00 Monday.

Comment

• deseroner
                                              • Jul 2011

Ok the classe ssp300 could not match my meridian 568.2 2.5 firmware at all musically , home theater I give a little edge ssp300. I also sold the 180 locally along with ssp300. It sounds good but I tell you the meridian is something else .so I will have feedback with ca5100 amplifier.
                                              We'll I got me a new setup I loved my meridian 568.2 but sold it for a meridian 861v4 v8 lpsu waiting on that got it off a local dealer . Also I have tried my new classe ca5100 with my meridian 568.2 they paired up nicely . What a sonic performer with 4ohm speakers. I also tried a htm4s to replace my center it sounded so small compared to my snell xa1900 speaker I sold the b&w htm4s and kept my snell xa1900 which sounds way more detail plus more powerful 4ohm.i can say I am very pleases with my classe ca5100 amp I got it for 2100$ shipped .but the meridian 861v4 was 4200 out the door better be good lol. I keep hearing the ssp 800 is a great performer who has one. How much better is the 800 compare to 600 .

Comment

• deseroner
                                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by mjb
                                                i sold my 5100 yesterday and bought me a ca5200 it should be here Wednesday with my meridian 861v4 also arrives

Last edited by deseroner; 05 June 2014, 23:50 Thursday.

Comment

• mjb
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

You'll be able to open your own review website soon :lol:
                                                  - Mike

Main System:
                                                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• deseroner
                                                    • Jul 2011

No I took your advice and went for the 5200 for that extra kick .

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Nov 2013

No I took your advice and went for the 5200 for that extra kick .

Good choice

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Nov 2013

Don't run it through that Belkin pf, I had a pf40 and it was great with everything except the 5200

Comment

• deseroner
                                                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by TomScrut
                                                          Don't run it through that Belkin pf, I had a pf40 and it was great with everything except the 5200
                                                          I have a pf60 i also installed a mundorf silver/gold .47uf capacitor inside the amplifier outlet inside the pf60 , on the ca5100 sounded great very detailed. but why what problems did you encounter

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Nov 2013

Well it just didn't sound as good as going straight into the mains

Comment

• deseroner
                                                              • Jul 2011

So far my new setup sounds way more detailed than it ever has . I have to do some more testing

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"