X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Basil
    • Dec 2013

CAN-Bus

So I got my new CP-800 rev 2 and my new CA-2300 last week. I've been running them night and day to run them in. I've been playing around with the CAN-bus. Plugged the OUT of the CP-800 to the IN of the CA-2300 and put the supplied plug in the OUT of the CA-2300. Nothing happens. I cannot see the CA-2300 on the CP-800's display. I can find the CP-800's status though. I would think both units would be to the latest firmware since they are brand new out of the box as of last week. Am I missing something? Do I have to do a firmware upgrade, as the Classé troubleshooting guide seems to recommend?
  • wildtangent
    • Dec 2006

The trouble shooting manual is rather dated and refers to units that were in the field prior to the introduction of the CAN bus about 6 – 7 years ago.

The units are new and the CAN bus should have been tested before they left the factory.

First reboot both units to make sure there is not some sort of glitch.

Next turn the amplifier on if it’s not already to make sure it’s not in some extra low power mode.

If still not working I would look at the cable and connections. First make sure the cable is a strait though type and not a cross over and have a look at the plugs and make sure that all 8 wires are present. I would then unplug and re-plug the cable at both units to make sure that they are seated properly, do the termination as well. If that doesn’t work try swapping the termination and cable at one end, do that same with the cable at the other end and then move the termination to the other end. This is in no particular order but do one at a time and check to see if the amplifier shows up at the other end.
    Last edited by wildtangent; 01 January 2014, 12:51 Wednesday. Reason: typo

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

What sort of cable have you used between them? As far as I am aware its a straight network cable you use, not a crossover. Might be worth checking? Also double check the manuals to make sure you have done the in and outs the right way round although I believe from memory the way you have described it is the correct method although I have only used SSP-300 and CP500 at separate times into my 5200 so all of the generation before yours but I believe they are all compatible so shouldnt make a difference
      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• slauten
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Basil
        So I got my new CP-800 rev 2 and my new CA-2300 last week. I've been running them night and day to run them in. I've been playing around with the CAN-bus. Plugged the OUT of the CP-800 to the IN of the CA-2300 and put the supplied plug in the OUT of the CA-2300. Nothing happens. I cannot see the CA-2300 on the CP-800's display. I can find the CP-800's status though. I would think both units would be to the latest firmware since they are brand new out of the box as of last week. Am I missing something? Do I have to do a firmware upgrade, as the Classé troubleshooting guide seems to recommend?
        Make sure you use the termination plug too. It's just a plug and necessary for CAN bus to work, it's like a end of line resistor.

See Ya,
        Steve

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

I think that's what is meant by 'and put the supplied plug in the OUT of the CA-2300', or are you talking about something I aren't aware of?
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Basil
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by TomScrut
            I think that's what is meant by 'and put the supplied plug in the OUT of the CA-2300', or are you talking about something I aren't aware of?
            That is exactly what I meant. Thanks for the answers everyone. I guess the last thing left to try is to pull the power cords from the wall and let everything settle for a couple of hours before powering it up again.

I've been so overwhelmed by the burn in process and the superb sound I have not stopped to look into this again ;-) Wow, this gear sounds so good!

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Basil, try another Network (RJ-45) cable. CAN-BUS uses pins 7&8 which is not always wired.

- Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Basil
                • Dec 2013

Third cable is the charm! Tried an unmarked cable: didn't work. Tried a second cable marked type 5: didn't work. Found a 3rd cable marked type 5 in my stack of old cables: this one works! I guess I've learned a lesson: never trust old cables you've been hanging on to for years...

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Good job!
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"