X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim1961
    • Nov 2012

Classe Warmth

Perhaps this varies from amp to amp, but Classe amps in general are depicted as being a bit warm in their presentation. For those of you actually owning (or previously owned) these amps (especially any CA-100 owners), what frequency range would you attribute this warmth to?
    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I've never heard of Classe being a warm amp. To me McIntosh is a warm amp...by far. Classe is really more along the line of neutral if not somewhat a little bit clinical/accurate sounding and not quite as musical as some people like.

I'd really have a tough time classifying Classe as a warm sounding equipment.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• jim1961
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by PewterTA
      I've never heard of Classe being a warm amp. To me McIntosh is a warm amp...by far. Classe is really more along the line of neutral if not somewhat a little bit clinical/accurate sounding and not quite as musical as some people like.

I'd really have a tough time classifying Classe as a warm sounding equipment.
      I used to own a Krell KSA-200. When I sold it and got the CA-100, the warmth I speak of was obvious.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jim1961
        I used to own a Krell KSA-200. When I sold it and got the CA-100, the warmth I speak of was obvious.
        I'm not sure you heard "warmth", I think you just heard a damned good amp! Warmth per se is not necessarily a good thing, its a colouration (aka distortion) of the sound either by adding a phase-shift or harmonics. Tube amps are notoriously warm because they're very harmonic by nature. As Dan says, Classé amps are rarely (if ever) described as warm, but they are very accurate, and extremely loyal to the source. This is my taste in amp sound, other listeners perhaps have other preferences.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• jim1961
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by mjb
          I'm not sure you heard "warmth", I think you just heard a damned good amp! Warmth per se is not necessarily a good thing, its a colouration (aka distortion) of the sound either by adding a phase-shift or harmonics. Tube amps are notoriously warm because they're very harmonic by nature. As Dan says, Classé amps are rarely (if ever) described as warm, but they are very accurate, and extremely loyal to the source. This is my taste in amp sound, other listeners perhaps have other preferences.
          It could be that the Krell amp was bright by comparison.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by jim1961
            It could be that the Krell amp was bright by comparison.
            Some Krell amps are considered "bright".

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I have only heard Classe amps at dealers, but based on that I would categorize them more as being neutral in comparison to all the other amps I have ever heard.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

In my experience Classé amps have become increasing less natural sounding favoring greater neutrality. What you hear from their amps today is better clarity and transparency. Legacy Classé amps will lean toward the warm side of neutral though.
                Last edited by RebelMan; 14 November 2013, 02:56 Thursday.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"