X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calum
    • Sep 2013

CP800 USB problems

Having problems with my MacBook into the rear USB connector, been working for many months but suddenly stopped working. Managed to eliminate cables, software and source computer which leaves the CP800 itself. Just tried connecting an iPod into the front USB and it no longer works either.

Next step is a trip to the dealer but just wonder if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks.

Calum
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Have you tried cold rebooting (power recycling) the CP-800? If that doesn't work then a factory restore and cold reboot is another option but you'll need to backup your settings if you want to preserve them.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• busby
      • Jul 2011

As both of the USB inputs on your CP-800 are not working, this could be a power supply problem. If you don't mind removing the top of the CP-800, you could check for signs of life on the digital audio board (the top board at the back of the product - keep clear of the high voltage power supply board at the front right!). There should be a bunch of LEDs lit up. In particular, the one marked H_EN close to the USB processor (the large square chip) should be lit. If so, the processor is alive and running. However, the isolated supply that feeds the USB interfaces could be down.

Disconnect the mains supply, then check that all of cables going to the digital audio board are secure. If you have no luck with that, then I'm afraid it's a trip to the dealer. Setting factory restore is unlikely to help as it has no bearing on the USB sub-system.

Comment

• Calum
        • Sep 2013

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I did do a "switch-off and switch-on" to no avail. I'm at work so not had the CP800 top off yet but I think the processor is working as the CP800 shows in the Mac Audio App when the USB cable is plugged in. So it looks like it's working it's just there's no sound?? Will call my dealer for a chat shortly.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by busby
          Setting factory restore is unlikely to help as it has no bearing on the USB sub-system.
          Not necessarily. The CP-800 is software intensive and it would be prudent to rule out any glitches and overlooked configuration changes prior to addressing a potential hardware problem. Its an easy step to make in trouble shooting a sophisticated device such as this when there are potential unkowns. Hardware is considerably more stable than software (firmware).

Comment

• Calum
            • Sep 2013

Dealer has recommeded I try a restore as well so sounds like I should give it a go. Quick question though....how do I do a restore? Can't see this in the manual.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

It's not in the manual. Power on the unit, and go to the Menu. Using the remote, press F1, F2, F3, F4 in order. This will change the display to a Tech Menu. If there are programmed settings that need to be saved, choose the 'Archive Settings' button prior to selecting the Restore Factory Defaults. Select 'Restore Factory Defaults' to reset the unit.

Try communicating with the CP-800's USB ports. If all goes well then you can restore the saved programmed settings and test again (see below). If it breaks again after the restore then it's an issue with the config. If all doesn't go we'll then you have a hardware issue, presuming you have the latest firmware installed.

After the unit has been reset, repeat the above procedure but now choose 'Restore Settings' to restore the programmed settings to the unit.

Comment

• Calum
                • Sep 2013

many thanks RebelMan

Calum

Comment

• Calum
                  • Sep 2013

No joy with the reset so it'll be off to the dealer

Calum

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Sorry to hear. Be sure to report back any findings when the issue is resolved.

Comment

• Calum
                      • Sep 2013

Not sure if this is a good development or not but I returned from a 10 day holiday on Monday and I tried the CP800 USB and it works again. Played it every night since and it's been faultless. Wasn't powered off while I was away, left it on standby.

Watch this space....

Calum

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Interesting. I wouldn't rule out the MacBook nor the iPod just yet either, may be more than coincidence.

Comment

• Mulasttocs
                          • Sep 2012

Well it's happened again USB back and front are both silent. Seems to be communication between devices and the CP800, the frequency changes on the display from 44.1 to 96 for example there's just no output.

I done the default reset thing which made no difference. Noticed that I haven't updated my firmware version since I got it so I should probably do that but don't expect that will fix anything. I'm still on 1.01 according to the status screen so if I pick up version 1.0.6 will that have all the updates since 1.01?

Any other thoughts opinions welcome

Thanks,

Calum

Comment

• busby
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Mulasttocs
                            if I pick up version 1.0.6 will that have all the updates since 1.01?
                            As the firmware updates are not incremental, version 1.0.6 will give you the latest updates for everything in the CP-800.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"