X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eelii08
    • Aug 2013

Omega mono went down

Hi all, my first post. This is the web forum I know where there is more info regarding CLasse so thought it would be a good idea to try to get some advise on my problem. Thanks in advance.

Last week left home for a week away on vacation. Night before leaving I was listening to the system that was sounding as good as always and when I was done I unplugged the whole system from the wall mains, just in case some storm or similar while away.

Last night upon our return I plugged everything back again. Did not turn the system on as it was late and we had to unpack.

This morning I wanted to do some listening but one of the amps will not start. It is like if it was unplugged still. I push the button at the side but I get nothing. No noise, no lighting blue or red or anything. Just like if it was unplugged (but it is not...).

Changed fuses from the working amp to the other but nothing. Also changed power cords just in case and finally move the thing (ought!) to some other wall plug of a different circuit, but nothing still.

So not sure what else to try. Very disappointed since these things were one of the last they produced and is only a year and a half old. If I have to send these monsters for service is going to be a night mare adn quite a lot of time. Any idea or help from anyone, of things i could try before sending? Contacted Classe but no reply still and my dealer is closed for 2 weeks summer break...

THanks
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

You sure the power switch at the back of the amp is on?

Good luck. This is not nice.

Comment

• eelii08
      • Aug 2013

There is no power switch at the back of the Omegas.... but I really wish there was one and that would be the problem...

I did nothing at all to the amp. It was working just fine. Unplugged at the wall. Plugged back in upon return and the thing did not go on anymore. Did not even get close to the amp but for pushing the button...

Thanks. It is very unfortunate.

Besides, will not be able to send it anywhere until september. So will not be able to do any listening in my summer vacations when you have a lot of free time..

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

When you swapped fuses, did you swap them back after the test to endure that it was not blown by the troubled amp? Are you making these checks with the rest of the system disconnected from the amp?
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• eelii08
          • Aug 2013

Yes I placed the fuse back in the good amp and now is also dead, so I guess the troubled one blow that fuse as well.

Yes the broken amp was disconnected from the rest of the system. Just the PC on. So I guess it is not looking good. Very strange the way it came down. Was working perfectly. Turned off all the system with no problem. Amps first. And few days later plugged all back and turned on system, amps last, but the amp would not do anything anymore...

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Sounds like you developed a short somewhere in the system. The amp should be seen by your dealer (if they are qualified to perform additional diagnosis) and/or Classé. Curious, after you disconnected the AC mains from your system, prior to taking your trip, did you unplug/reseat any speaker cables or interconnects in the process or when you came back? Are you using terminal jumpers anywhere? The fault may lie further up stream with your pre-ampilfer/processor or it could be a total fluke. I ran into a similar problem with a CA-5100 where for no apparent reason one bank of three power supplies stopped working.

Comment

• eelii08
              • Aug 2013

No did nothing at all. Just unplug from the wall and plug back again. Did not touch anything else. I only use jumpers at the speakers terminals. But did not tough those neither.

I think is clear it is the amp, no? When I turned the system back on, all went on with no problem including the working amp. The last thing I always turn on, is precisely that one amp. So all was on but that one which would not do anything.

Also I disconnected it from the rest of the system, moved to another wall plugs inlet (which is actually a different circuit), placed the fuse of the working amp into it, and it blew it as well. So there may be something else wrong in the system (hope not...) but that amp is clearly doing something wrong. Just very very strange the way it all happened. Is a ....: These are only one and a years old and very expensive... It is realley going to take for ever to get them fixed going to and back from Canada.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I was merely suggesting that an issue further upstream could have triggered the fault your amp has now. Again, it could also be just one of those inexplicable things. I know it can be frustrating given the short time you have had the amp but if it was bound to happen you are better off now while it is still covered under warranty.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Dust can even cause a short...but more likely one of the components just failed which is the nature of the beast. Probably would've happened to you in the next month or so anyways (without unplugging it).

I had basically the same thing happen on my Rotel RB-1090, two resistors failed and caused me to go through a bunch of fuses. I ended up taking it to a shop here in Pittsburgh (Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh) and they found the resistors and replaced them. Amp has been perfect ever since (about a year now). Taking it to this local place in Pittsburgh was far cheaper than shipping it to a "repair center." Not sure if you're anywhere near Pittsburgh, but I highly recommend this place. Guys are top notch there! Tom is the owner and will bend over backwards to make sure things get repaired and everything is working good.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

One problem I see with having a non-Classe authorized repair shop work on an Omega, is if the amp needs to be rebiased. Classe amps have a very specific (I've seen referred to as "convoluted") biasing procedure that includes 24-hr warmup, checking bias readings at each emitter resistor, then inputing the results into a given formula to obtain the average bias figure. You don't just set bias to a number and forget it. Service manuals/schematics are not available to the public for current/recent products, so unless the repair shop has service documentation, they would only be guessing.

Comment

• slauten
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Glen B
                      One problem I see with having a non-Classe authorized repair shop work on an Omega, is if the amp needs to be rebiased. Classe amps have a very specific (I've seen referred to as "convoluted") biasing procedure that includes 24-hr warmup, checking bias readings at each emitter resistor, then inputing the results into a given formula to obtain the average bias figure. You don't just set bias to a number and forget it. Service manuals/schematics are not available to the public for current/recent products, so unless the repair shop has service documentation, they would only be guessing.
                      I agree! In particular this Omega mono Block is in warranty. I know its a major pain in the butt with this behemoth of an amp, but I would not consider letting anyone work on it but Classe.

See Ya,
                      Steve

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

I was thinking the amp was out of warranty, which normally fixing is cheaper than sending it back. I got the shop in touch with B&W group and the prices they wanted to charge for things he couldn't justify doing the work for as well as being forced to keep a stock of supplies that he'd have to buy before hand. He really wanted to become one of their authorized repair places, but even I agreed, after seeing all the hoops they wanted him to jump through it wasn't worth it.

If it's under warranty, it sucks for shipping, but definitely send it back and let them fix it.

There's always ways to find service manuals on gear...so I wouldn't have worried about the biasing part, he'd have gotten that figured out. I've seen a bunch of service manuals from Classe and most of the biasing is hand written in them. It is a more tedious process, but nothing way out of the norm.

Hopefully they get the amp fixed for you!
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• eelii08
                          • Aug 2013

Thanks all. Yes it is still under warranty. So I will have to send it over and get it fixed.

It will not be a cost from a monetary perspective, but being with no sustem for over a week now, and that likely to remain for a good month still, after just a year and a half of paying big $$$$ for these, is very bad. The suscint and cold reply I got from Classe by mail, only after 3 mails from my side and almost a week after I sent it, does not make me keep hopes too high of a promt resolution.

Oh well. I guess things happen.

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

About every Classé piece I have ever owned had to go in for repair at one time or another (none of which were made in China) so I completely empathize with you. At this price point it's natural to think that the equipment should be rock solid when it leaves the facility and in many cases it is but then there are times when it isn't. Like some parasites some issues lie dormant and go undetected until the opportunity presents itself. I know that doesn't make the situation better for you and I am not making excuses for Classé either, believe me. But the time you spend apart from your system now will payoff in the long run. It has for me.

Comment

• leo2498
                              • Feb 2012

mmmm I think that it is a good point when we will bought this kind of toys, if you will put that amount of money in it, it need to have the full warranty. any thing could happen even in the betters family but the important thing is that you are getting a smile in your face when it turn on again, at least for me it do always. 8)
                              Leo,
                              Saludos
                              My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• leo2498
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by eelii08
                                Thanks all. Yes it is still under warranty. So I will have to send it over and get it fixed.

It will not be a cost from a monetary perspective, but being with no sustem for over a week now, and that likely to remain for a good month still, after just a year and a half of paying big $$$$ for these, is very bad. The suscint and cold reply I got from Classe by mail, only after 3 mails from my side and almost a week after I sent it, does not make me keep hopes too high of a promt resolution.

Oh well. I guess things happen.
                                How much time took to repair your omega? My CA2300 was down 3 weeks ago and all indicate that it will take long time to be fixed. your dealer sent it to classe or he repaired it himself?
                                Leo,
                                Saludos
                                My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"