X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

CDP 100 can not be repaired

Hi, have not been here for a while. Glad I found the site again and remembered my password.

My CDP100 only recognises half the cd's I put in. It tells me to insert disk while it has the disc inside.

Our local distributor has fitted a new "laser pickup". (can confirm at work tomorrow exactly what was done.)

This did not work and I was told the problem is with the "board" and this is not available anymore. :cry:

Is this acceptable for such a high-end product?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Might want to start here and see where you can get....

They should be able to help you.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kobus
      Is this acceptable for such a high-end product?
      No it is not.

Assuming you already contacted...

Importer/Distributor
      B&W Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd.
      Hi-Fi Excellence, Shop 125 Alberton City
      Alberton

Ph: 00 2711 869 0135
      Email: kobus@hfxsystems.com

Pursue the matter with Classé directly.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Here is the answer from HFX (local distributor)
        -----

Hi Kobus

It has been a long time, I trust you are keeping well.

Unfortunately, the reality is this mechanism is no longer in production and is not available to order from Classe'. Classe' discontinued their 'source components' a few years ago in favour of digitally streaming content.

Here is the answer from Classe' when we asked them the question you asked:

" Unfortunately, we have no parts available for these CD players. The original Manufacturers have discontinued them a long time ago. I understand you want to replace the laser pick but this is somewhat matched to the servo board. It is almost as if it were a matched pair combination. We ourselves have tried to match new pick-ups with old servo boards but without success. Additionally, there are no adjustments possible, it is a digital servo."

So its not a case of Classe' not supporting their units by choice, but rather their hand has been forced by the discontinuation of the mechanism by Philips. So while the pickup is still available, the complete 'mechanism' is not. The 'mechanism' is made up of a servo board and the optical unit/laser pick-up (which are matched and individually calibrated together). So although we still have these optical units in stock (as they were used in other Marantz CD players as well) and have attempted to fit one to your servo board – because of the mismatch, this does not work.

I am sorry for this bad news, but failing getting a complete mechanism somewhere (?), we are unable to repair your Classe' CDP.

Kind regards

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

It's not clear who is saying they do not have the complete mechanism (optical drive assembly). Is it the local distributor for Classé in Africa or Classé home office in Canada?

Comment

• Kobus
            • Aug 2005

Its HFX South Africa asking the question from Classe. I assume they deal directly with Canada on such technical matters.

Your thoughts is appreciated.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Sure. Did the local distributor attempt the fix to your optical pickup or was it send in to Classé for repair? How much time have you spent on this issue to date?

Comment

• Kobus
                • Aug 2005

Attempted repairs was done locally. They tried 3 different pick-ups. Still not working, hence them saying it must be the "board" which is not available.

ps: wonder what the cost would be to send it to Canada.........

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I sent an inquiry on your behalf. Hopefully something good will come it.

Comment

• Kobus
                    • Aug 2005

cool

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Kobus,

I got word from Classé today that confirms what the local distributor has been telling you, unfortunately. Fortunately, however, the part you need is available BUT only through some third party channels as it is discontinued. Philips part number VAM1250 includes the laser pickup and servo mechanism that you need. You can purchase the part from ebay, they will ship worldwide. It seems a little pricey but it is a genuine part and it gives you an option to have your CD player fixed and working again. If you are uncomfortable making the repair yourself I suspect that your local distributor will oblige you, probably for a small price, given the circumstances.

Good luck!

Comment

• wkhanna
                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

RebelMan,
                        Many thanks from us all, especially Kobus for all your help & efforts.
                        It is members like you who make this forum a special place.
                        Be well.
                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kobus
                          • Aug 2005

Rebelman, what can I say. Still the legend I came to know many years ago. :T

Will keep you guys informed.

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

+3 on this praise of RebelMan
                            -Dan

Comment

• Kobus
                              • Aug 2005

When I asked the local distributor if the above unit will sort out my problem he gave the answer below.
                              --

Yes that’s the laser pick-up – the problem is that the VAM1250 needs to be matched to the servo board - that’s the issue. We have new VAM1250 units in stock and can't get them to work on your servo board because of the lack of settings/adjustments on the digital servo.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

The complete mechanism with laser pickup and servo board is VAM1250. The laser pickup (diode) without the servo board is VAL1250. Some outlets mislabel the laser pickup mechanism, without the servo board, VAM1250. Have the local distributor see the part as displayed on ebay to ensure that he is aware this is the part we are discussing.

Pickup WITH servo (you need)...
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	pickup _servo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	858522

Pickup WITHOUT servo (will not work)...

Name:	pickup.jpg
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	858523

BOTH are labled VAM1250 but only the top one is correct.

Comment

• Kobus
                                  • Aug 2005

Thanks again. I will revert back to them and see what they say.

Comment

• Kobus
                                    • Aug 2005

New reply..............

Hi Kobus,

Unfortunately, that’s not the servo board we're talking about. That is the 'carriage' – the servo board looks something similar to this:

Johan is waiting to hear back from his connection as well. As soon as he has any info, we'll come back to you.

But according to Johan, we'll have the same issue with the VAM1250 below – we can't calibrate it to your servo board.

Regards

Marc
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

VAM1250 includes the servo mechanism. The ribbon cable attached to the VAM1250 plugs into a control board which they are calling the servo board. Did they attempt to replace the servo mechanism in your player with one EXACTLY as I showed you or the other one WITHOUT the servo?

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

I'm guessing they are saying the laser and servo unit have issues being control by certain boards... so they would need to find a control board that works with that servo and laser pickup...!?
                                        -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Well it appears we may have hit a dead end. They are telling me the Philips part number VAM1250 USE TO include the laser pickup, servo mechanism AND the control/servo board even though the board is a completely seperate part. Now it seems only the laser pickup and servo mechanism are available and only from third parties. This includes non-genuine parts from other manufacturers which is why there is so much confusion with part numbers and what is included. Here's a snapshot of the COMPLETE (but detached) assembly needed to fix Kobus's CDP...

Name:	VAM1250.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	858542

Comment

• Kobus
                                            • Aug 2005

Sad.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Very disappointing and very shortsighted on Classé's part. I wouldn't expect them to have indefinite support on any product but when the age of 5-10 year warranty's are becoming more commonplace, better preparations should be in order. The CDP-100 was discontinued in 2006. If a dealer sold a unit in 2007 it would be covered under warranty for 5 years, until 2012. Perhaps if Kobus' unit was still covered and there were no parts to fix it he would have been given some concessions. Unfortunately it isn't, so now he's more or less screwed. At this level I'm not happy to see this no matter what the circumstances are.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                • Nov 2004

I think we need to have a moment of silence......................
                                                -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Yep as is Kobus' CDP!

Comment

• Kobus
                                                    • Aug 2005

Herewith a reply I got from Classé Canada after a final-ish attempt of mine.

-----

Dear Mr. "sad",

The company who was the manufacturer of the Optical drive assembly has decided to discontinue them quite a few years ago. Since the CDP-100 was discontinued ten years ago, we have used up the spare drives we had kept for service.

We have contacted this manufacturer quite a few times on the issue, the manufacturer is not helping. So under these circumstances, we have tried many of the aftermarket drive assemblies and replacement laser pick-ups, none of them actually work.

Like all other Companies who have also used this drives assembly, we are confronted with the same issue, the original Company who used to supply these drive assemblies is not offering us any alternatives, therefore, we can no longer supply drive mechanism service parts for the CDP-100.

Best Regards

Robert Adam
                                                    International Customer Service Coordinator

radam@classeaudio.com

Comment

• Kobus
                                                      • Aug 2005

And then my final plead for something..................... which I now know will not come.
                                                      --------

Hi Robert

I can not accept that my CDP100 must be chucked in the waste bin.

Is there no “second grade” option. Third party stuff. Can I not somehow get the unit working, even if it will be for my secondary system.

This surely can not be it! Its like telling a Ferrari owner that his vintage car’s carburettor is out of production and the engine will never run again. Surely not.

Regards

Kobus

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Actually, the CDP-100 was discontinued seven years ago in 2006. Unfortunately it doesn't change the situation, though it does show poor planning. Philips reliability rate has been piss-poor in my experience. Perhaps it was a good idea that they leave the CE market after all. Sadly the wake of catastrophes are ultimately paid for by the people. It pains me to say this but it just goes to show another good reason to dump disc players for disk players.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Kobus
                                                          I can not accept that my CDP100 must be chucked in the waste bin.
                                                          Two thoughts.

1) If it plays half of your CDs, the fault is not some dead device. It seems that it is something sloppy in the mechanism. A worn plastic part, for example, too much play. I am wondering if it would be possible to find the worn part and replace it with a new one, but still avoid replacing the sensitive pickup parts that are paired to the servo controller board.

2) Even though we have the "system component" part number (VAM1250), the sub-assemblies of the drive and the controller board presumably have their own part numbers. If we can find out what other CD players from Philips/Marantz used that same combination, it might be possible to find that model to use as a donor.

I do not mean to raise false hope, but I'd hate to see the CDP102 go away like this.

I would also request Classe provide you the complete schematic/service manual. Who knows what little nuggets of info might lurk within.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"