X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leo2498
    • Feb 2012

Classe CA2300 vs CA5300

Hi I wondering how different will be the sound of this two amps in a stereo configuration?
    Leo,
    Saludos
    My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

I will compare the two over the course of the weekend if I get a chance.

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

I spent a few hours today comparing the two amplifiers. I personally own both and tested them with my B&W800Di's. I also am testing a pair of CAM600's at the moment. To get right to the point, they all sound the same. That makes sense since they use the same topology and similar configurations. At normal listening levels I could not unreasonably say that in my opinion there was a difference. At a higher volume, beyond what I normally listen to, the CA5300 sounded maybe a touch strained, then again maybe I was getting tired. The only time strangely enough where I did notice a difference was when using the CA2300 while it was still cold. The bass seemed a bit leaner than the CAM600's and the CA5300. After 15-20 minutes of warm up they were all on a "par". This happened on 2 occasions when swopping over. Strangely enough i have noticed this before when i previously tested the CAM600's against the CA2300.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the CA5300 is its rating. Classe does not rate it into 4 Ohms as that would exceed the total power draw available from the mains. It limits the power output to not exceed certain limits, if this is on a channel basis or total output i never managed to find out. So if you are considering it with a demanding speaker that has questionably low impedance then i would definitely go with the CA2300. I feel the CA2300 is at the sweet point in performance versus cost in the Classe range. So much so that im sticking with my CA2300 and not "upgrading" to the CAM600's as in my system i cannot find a meaningfull difference.

Comment

• leo2498
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by windshear
        I spent a few hours today comparing the two amplifiers. I personally own both and tested them with my B&W800Di's. I also am testing a pair of CAM600's at the moment. To get right to the point, they all sound the same. That makes sense since they use the same topology and similar configurations. At normal listening levels I could not unreasonably say that in my opinion there was a difference. At a higher volume, beyond what I normally listen to, the CA5300 sounded maybe a touch strained, then again maybe I was getting tired. The only time strangely enough where I did notice a difference was when using the CA2300 while it was still cold. The bass seemed a bit leaner than the CAM600's and the CA5300. After 15-20 minutes of warm up they were all on a "par". This happened on 2 occasions when swopping over. Strangely enough i have noticed this before when i previously tested the CAM600's against the CA2300.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the CA5300 is its rating. Classe does not rate it into 4 Ohms as that would exceed the total power draw available from the mains. It limits the power output to not exceed certain limits, if this is on a channel basis or total output i never managed to find out. So if you are considering it with a demanding speaker that has questionably low impedance then i would definitely go with the CA2300. I feel the CA2300 is at the sweet point in performance versus cost in the Classe range. So much so that im sticking with my CA2300 and not "upgrading" to the CAM600's as in my system i cannot find a meaningfull difference.
        Many Thanks windshear,
        I assumed that it will sound really close but my doubt was some people say that when the power supply is sharing with many channels the final sound is not the same, but well it could be a placebo effect. Many thanks for you share this with me. BTW you used full range configuration for your 800?
        Leo,
        Saludos
        My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• windshear
          • Dec 2004

I do use them full range, however im waiting for some measuring equipment to play around with settings. I do find the full range setting more pleasing and fuller, than crossed over at 40Hz or so.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"