X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

Using USB port on CP 800

HI,

This fantastic new feature (asynchronous data transfer to the DAC) is not much discussed on the forum.
    Means that maybe not that many users in the forum do have the CP 800 or they use the coax or optical in.
    I use it as well as for pc playing as with the logitech touch, which can be transformed to usb out.

It works perfectly. One thing I would like to hear if other members have same positive experiences and whether they use the upgrade of aqvox to provide clean usb power in the usb cable. Would the CP 800 sound better from that?

pls share
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Pins 1 (+5v) and 4 (Gnd) of a USB plug can supply power, up to 1000mA. I could imagine that Aqvox's USB power supply would make a difference IF/WHEN the downstream device is USB powered. I'm not sure the the CP-800 is a candidate, as it has its own power supply. Aqvox are very honest about this in their product description.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• gerardhn
      • Jun 2005

Iám surprized we get no discussion about using the usb port the cp 800.
      No plays via pc to cp 800?
      Or has this forum lost interest?

Comment

• Sasha99
        • Dec 2010

Usb - Cp800

CP 800 USB is phenomenal (beside that is lacking 24/192 on USB for now). A lot of people out there do not realize that USB in its nature and architecture represents way better approach to computer sound reproduction.
        If interested, just Google - Gordon Rankin and read what he has to say about it . (He actually started a whole USB thing by writing drivers for his Wawelength DAC’s).
        What is interesting, when I started to show interest in computer audio, about a 3 years ago, many reputable vendors, did not have a USB support beyond 16/48 in resolution. (Bryston, Simaudio, DAC Magic, Belcanto to name a few that I contacted directly and spoke to them about their intentions to come to the market with that anytime soon. Their answer was funny….they all claimed that USB 24/192 is not very good idea…yada, yada…..needless to say, they are all scrambling now to fix that and all of a sudden this is a very good idea…..
        CP 800 was limited at 24/96 what was quite a standard out there about 3 years ago when it was announced. They are working hard to get that up to a 24/192 and I hope it will be available sometimes this year. (if you are not convinced on highrez files, just download something of 24/192 resolution from Linn recordings, and you will not be looking back to anything else again.
        When using USB, you are bypassing Windows sound engine and few layers of OSI. Sound Card that supports all possible resolutions at a high level of quality is not required either. (those sound cards are very expensive). For example, my onboard sound card did not support 24/176 or 24/88 resolution (which is used with SACD or DVD Audio). By using S/PDIF output, computer sends audio signal at will (whenever it “has time” ….so DAC has to have very good buffer with jitter rejection – collect signal, lined it up and send it to converter. That process has to be well executed which is expensive.
        With USB architecture, DAC enslaves the computer, so the bits are sent over in exact and controlled manner as DAC could process them.
        Essentially every single desktop or laptop becomes a highrez server by connecting it to it’s USB port.
        I personally used, DAC Magic, Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 and now CP 800. Wyred 4 Sound is very good DAC (probably on pair in quality with CP 800 and it supports 24/ 192, but no processing).
        As for CP 800 sound….it is inline with previous Classe products. Sound is very neutral, round, no fatigue at all. Bass management is excellent, works really well. (I have 1 subwoofer).
        As for original post on powered USB cable…tried one (not the one mentioned above) on my 10 meters long connection and it kept dropping connection. I suspect it was not designed for constant throughput of data.
        I tested my setup with short (1 meter) cable and there was no difference between short and long cable. (my 10 meter connection is a patch of 3 cables).
        This is getting to long.... So that is it for now.
        Happy listening.
        Sasha

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"