X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

700 vs 800 preamp

Frankly I don't care much for all this media player stuff so my main concern is tradition audio. Is the new 800 preamp better than the good ole 700? I think I can buy a used 700 for the same price as the new 800 only 700 was made in Canada while 800 is China made.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I think I'd take the 800, especially if they're the same price.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Big difference. If looking pure analog sources I'd go 700. If its digital sources I'd go the silicone city 800
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Antonkk
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by alebonau
        Big difference. If looking pure analog sources I'd go 700. If its digital sources I'd go the silicone city 800

So you mean that a CD/SACD player and Blu-Ray player will sound better through 700's XLR inputs?

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

A CD/SACD player is a digital source, so you'll need a DAC somewhere. If you use its XLR outputs, you're using the integrated DAC, which arguably might not be as good as an outboard one.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Antonkk
            • Jan 2010

It's strange that nobody seems to make any A/B comparisons soundwise.

Comment

• Antonkk
              • Jan 2010

Anyone?

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I think there are a couple of forum members with both, but A/B comparisons are difficult because the choice of inputs will change. The SP-800 is HDMI optimized, so if I want to listen to my music server (Mac Mini) on the CP-800, I'd have to choose USB or S/PDIF instead of HDMI, or use analogue on a "pre-digital" pre-amp. I'm sure therefore it would sound different, but better?

I'm interested in this question too, because I'd like to optimize my 2 channel setup. If anyone has any first hand comparison experience, please enlighten us.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Antonkk
                  • Jan 2010

My main listening is physical CD/SACDs from real CD player through XLR. And my main concern is that 800 may be inferior to 700 in that.

Comment

• Bobpaule
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Antonkk
                    My main listening is physical CD/SACDs from real CD player through XLR. And my main concern is that 800 may be inferior to 700 in that.
                    You bet, the CP-700 is a true fully differential balanced preamplifier, the CP-800 is a sophisticated DAC made in the same factories as Oppo in Guangdong, even the packaging and baggies look identical.
                    IT-Reference 20i(amps/sub) & Elite-20PFi(low current) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1)/Sony UBP-X800/AppleTV-64GB/Dell Latitude 5490 w. W15 dock > Marantz-AV8805 & Classé-CP700(bypass)/King-Cobra-all > Epson-LS10500/Carada-1.4/Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA secondary monitor/music-ARC> Classé CA-2200 & CA-5100, two Zamp v.3 7.4.1> Belden 10AWG/silver/gold > Paradigm-S8v.2-7.1.4(Servo15v2/P-80A)

Comment

• Bobpaule
                      • Sep 2004

So I finally got my paws on a CP-700, integrated it with SSP Bypass biamping the fronts. Simply put, separate stereo XLR interconns from the PR-SC5509 (disabled the biwiring touted as "biamping" by Onkyo) and DVD-A1UDCI player, which, like the CP-700 is also fully balanced for stereo. The CP-700 is fully diferentially balanced from ground up, even the external PSU consists of two transformers.

Needless to say i got heavily into auditioning my favorite Universal Japan and MoFi stereo SACDs. The Classe really opened them up, I mean big time. Wait, I did not hear that before, esp with T Rex Electric Warrior and Pixies Doolittle, discs which I acquired recently and auditioned end-to-end several times, so they are fresh in my mind. Particularly striking were the nuances and humongously wide sound stage in Electric Warrior's track #7 "Planet Queen", the one after their most famous song.
                      After that all the classic jazz and blues, vocals fascinating. I have literally become a prisoner of my basement.

The big surprise came as my kids started bugging me again to put on "Monsters vs. Aliens" a perennial that gets played monthly in my theater. The CP-700 does stereo biamp duty in line-level mode here. Right from the beginning the localization on front sound effects became strikingly accurate. The gooey blue monster sticking out a trunk limb repetitively in 5-6 directions spreading out from center screen now created sound effects that were almost pinpointed into the ether, name it audio 3D if you will. We never heard this before.

And as professional reviewers have stated about the CP-700, I also believe it is very natural and accurate, no bloating anywhere.
                      IT-Reference 20i(amps/sub) & Elite-20PFi(low current) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1)/Sony UBP-X800/AppleTV-64GB/Dell Latitude 5490 w. W15 dock > Marantz-AV8805 & Classé-CP700(bypass)/King-Cobra-all > Epson-LS10500/Carada-1.4/Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA secondary monitor/music-ARC> Classé CA-2200 & CA-5100, two Zamp v.3 7.4.1> Belden 10AWG/silver/gold > Paradigm-S8v.2-7.1.4(Servo15v2/P-80A)

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

not suprised at all ! the cp700 is an awesome analog 2ch pre amp. it is a real pity classe stopped making something like it !
                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Antonkk
                          It's strange that nobody seems to make any A/B comparisons soundwise.
                          In simplistic terms, the 700 is more natural sounding the 800 more neutral sounding.
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"