X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

Comparing CA2300 to CAM600

Im in the process of comparing these two amplifiers in my system. How do i make a meaningfull and objective comparision between the two? Switching between the two and unplugging and reconnecting interlinks and speaker wire and the time difference between listening , i cant hear any difference. Any suggestions what i should focus on, namely imaging, tone or natural instrument reproduction, etc. I dont understand how "reviewers" can make a meaningfull comparision especially when they review things months apart, given that my "audio" memory appears to be short term and only a few minutes at best. So much for my belief of being objective and analytical, given my background and training. I really want to hear a difference, but so far my experience has amounted to the sum total of nought. Im open to any ideas.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi windshear,

Presumably you've had your CA2300 for a while? What don't you like about it? Won't those areas give your comparison some focus?

Nigel.

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

Hi Nigel, its not as if im unhappy with the sound, however i feel im not doing the speakers justice. Its a case of blindly wanting more without knowing what it is, that i am seeking. Im looking for quantifiable and meaningfull differences to justify it all.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by windshear
        Hi Nigel, its not as if im unhappy with the sound, however i feel im not doing the speakers justice. Its a case of blindly wanting more without knowing what it is, that i am seeking. Im looking for quantifiable and meaningfull differences to justify it all.
        If I was upgrading from CA2300 to CAM600 I would probably be looking for a more relaxed listening experience at high volume, for example. Is that relevant to your situation?

Nigel.

Comment

• windshear
          • Dec 2004

I enjoy a good loud volume, however i find my ears feel overloaded when it gets too loud and then i end up focusing on a bright sound.

After listening to the two amps i find the voicing identical. Im not sure if im hearing a genuine bass difference or merely a perception, the CAM600's appear to have a tighter less bloated bass, it almost seems more "dry". Strangely enough i only noticed this today and only on one cd so far. More time is required to make a meaningful comparison.

Comment

• windshear
            • Dec 2004

A quick pic of the amps. Its a pity i cant keep them all.
            Attached Files

Comment

• leo2498
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by windshear
              A quick pic of the amps. Its a pity i cant keep them all.

Hi windshear,
              was you tried in your system with a less expensive amp vs your actual amplifier? The last week I was audition a rotel RB1552 vs a MC252 because I’m have some doubts like you and I was thinking that I don’t felt any difference between amplifiers (I’m auditioning this because I want To get a CP800 with CA2300), with preams it was easily but when you are trying amps it is very difficult(in my case it is).

I’m would like to share my experience with you (although I’m a beginner in high end audio), I saw an audible difference with this amp but not in the way I thought so with the rotel I feel a lot output of bass but more distortional than with the Mcintosh, the highs were less aggressive with the mc but I prefer the sound in the rotel and with vocals I'm feeling that the rotel did a better job but my main conclusion was that it will depend what kind of sound you are, maybe all amp have difference but It will depend that you taste for music and how you should be it heard.

just my five cents.
              Last edited by leo2498; 17 September 2012, 22:32 Monday.
              Leo,
              Saludos
              My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• windshear
                • Dec 2004

Hi Leo, i used to have Rotel amps before changing to the Classe. I had the RB1090 and the RMB1095. When comparing the sound, i found the Classe to have a better bass extension, the highs were cleaner. The Rotels midrange i found warmer which i preferred. Its a pity i could not combine the two sounds, for my ideal.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"