X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leo2498
    • Feb 2012

Thoughts about classe gear combos

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for new gear for my 804Di to get best performance from them so I looking to a CP800 and CA2300, my main uses will be two channel music but with some uses with movies and concert. the HT will be handled by a denon 3310 with bypass through the CP800 so my question is what do you think about this combo? I only could audition the ssp800 with CA5300 the next saturday and with this make my decision but i wondering how different these combos can be musically?

I know that some people found the classe very clinical and harsh, they maybe are wrong?

p.d sources will be the oppo BDP-95 for CD through its analog output and digital music will be an ipod or ipad.
    Leo,
    Saludos
    My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.
  • londoner
    • Apr 2009

I heard the SSP-800 and the older CA-5200 some time ago. That persuaded me to listen to the CP-800 and CA-2300, which is now my system, along with 804Ds and DB1.

It's too long ago to be precise but I'd say the sound was similarly natural, realistic and involving. I am sure that the CP-800 and CA-2300 would have the edge in a two-channel system, so I'd say you can be confident you'll like them if you like the SSP-800 and CA-5300.

I don't recognise the harsh and clinical comments at all. Around half of what I listen to is classical, and I find the system to be astonishingly lifelike. I find it emotionally involving on all types of music, and not tiring to listen to for extended periods - so not harsh and clinical at all for me.

In the end, don't pay too much attention to what other people say, including me! You're doing the right thing going to have a listen for yourself. Enjoy whatever you choose.

Comment

• leo2498
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by londoner
      I heard the SSP-800 and the older CA-5200 some time ago. That persuaded me to listen to the CP-800 and CA-2300, which is now my system, along with 804Ds and DB1.

It's too long ago to be precise but I'd say the sound was similarly natural, realistic and involving. I am sure that the CP-800 and CA-2300 would have the edge in a two-channel system, so I'd say you can be confident you'll like them if you like the SSP-800 and CA-5300.

I don't recognise the harsh and clinical comments at all. Around half of what I listen to is classical, and I find the system to be astonishingly lifelike. I find it emotionally involving on all types of music, and not tiring to listen to for extended periods - so not harsh and clinical at all for me.

In the end, don't pay too much attention to what other people say, including me! You're doing the right thing going to have a listen for yourself. Enjoy whatever you choose.
      Many thanks for you answer Lomdoner, today I was auditioning this combo and It is a great gear, very neutral and it not have any thing of harsh or clinical, and if we will add the help of the 802Di is a marvelous set up, but I have doubts again because I don't know how it will be the blend with my HT. I asked borrow to my dealer a pre Atoll to see how It could be through the bypass configuration but this pre have a static noise when I put my ear in the teewter (btw the noise never had been in my system before, the problem is the pre) so I wondering if the with the classe I will have this problem too, maybe you could help me verifying this in your system if it is possible, the noise came when I pause in the middle of a cd listening.

if you could check this in your system would be a great help.
      thanks Leo.
      Leo,
      Saludos
      My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• londoner
        • Apr 2009

Hi Leo, I only use digital inputs but no static noise for me when they're paused, Nigel

Comment

• leo2498
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by londoner
          Hi Leo, I only use digital inputs but no static noise for me when they're paused, Nigel
          many thanks Nigel, recently I know that I can get this noise with analog output but the sound in this configuration is marvelous maybe it is a little thing that I need to sacrifice. :T
          Leo,
          Saludos

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Think you will be very happy with the suggested setup together with your Oppo BDP-95. Just at least try to listen to what the Oppo is capable of running balanced out into the CP-800 but in analogue bypass mode. Really sounds fantastic.
            In regards to matching with your Denon I think it will be pretty obvious that the sound will be different. Question is only if you can accept the difference. In the end I think as long as the speakers are similarly voiced the you should be ok for movies but multi-channel music will be hard to accept. So if you have a full B&W speaker setup you should be more or less ok even if they are from different series.

On a somewhat related note I have never heard a demo of Classe gear at dealers or at trade shows that I liked or that even sounded remotely as good as it does at home. So borrow the gear so you can hear it were it will be used.

Comment

• leo2498
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by aarsoe
              Think you will be very happy with the suggested setup together with your Oppo BDP-95. Just at least try to listen to what the Oppo is capable of running balanced out into the CP-800 but in analogue bypass mode. Really sounds fantastic.
              In regards to matching with your Denon I think it will be pretty obvious that the sound will be different. Question is only if you can accept the difference. In the end I think as long as the speakers are similarly voiced the you should be ok for movies but multi-channel music will be hard to accept. So if you have a full B&W speaker setup you should be more or less ok even if they are from different series.

On a somewhat related note I have never heard a demo of Classe gear at dealers or at trade shows that I liked or that even sounded remotely as good as it does at home. So borrow the gear so you can hear it were it will be used.
              thanks for your input , yes I know that the differences with the cp800 and my denon will be huge but if I will go for the same multi channel solution it will cost me 9000 usd more and I prefer stereo spectacular sound that intermediate multi channel sound. btw all my five speaker are 800 di series I hope that this could be help the final multichannel sound and I will hope in few year change my denon for a maranzt AV7005 or maybe AV7007 if it is way better. h:
              Leo,
              Saludos

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"