X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

new SSP-800 code available for download

I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

At last :-)

Among other improvements:
    - Added the Dolby Volume feature, selectable by input
    - Added support for Dolby TrueHD DRC auto mode
    - Added an OSD offset control to enable vertical repositioning of the OSD image
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• HedgeHog
      • Dec 2008

Thx for the heads-up. I installed the firmware and enabled Dolby Volume but, so far, do not like what I'm hearing. The volume matches better between Standard Def and High Def on the HDPVR but it's like a bad loudness switch, imho. Seems to emphasize the background sound more than the main dialogue when boosting to match levels. I disabled it for BD and CD since I don't want more processing.

So I asked Classe if they can explain it a bit more so I can use it better and here's their response:

"In response to your questions relative to Dolby Volume, I have taken an excerpt from the new SSP-800 user manual.

Dolby Volume can be used to maintain the same relative perceived volume across multiple sources without having to manually adjust the volume control. It is especially useful when used with a set top box to maintain consistent volume levels across different television channels. For this reason, we have made the feature selectable by input, so you may engage it automatically whenever you watch TV but not when watching a Blu-ray, for example. The two parameters accessible on the Dolby Volume setup page are the leveler and modeler. The leveler is used to reduce perceived differences in volume level. It can be switched off or set to low or high. The low and high settings reflect the relative aggressiveness to which the algorithm will be applied to achieve volume leveling, with high being the mode with the least difference perceived in volume level. The modeler works independently to apply frequency response corrections based on the output level. These corrections are based on the Fletcher-Munson curves describing the relationship between our hearing sensitivity at various frequencies and the sound pressure level of those frequencies. In other words, the modeler applies different volume contours at different volume settings. If you find the corrections too aggressive, you can simply leave the modeler switched off.

The modeler will play with tonal character at different levels, this is mainly useful for dialog/television. The Leveler and Modeler do not necessarily need to be activated at the same time. They each have a different function. "

Need to play with it more. I do like the touch screen turning off after a while...nice feature.

-H
      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
      Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
      B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
      Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• JoseS
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by HedgeHog
        I do like the touch screen turning off after a while...nice feature.

-H
        Where is that feature?

Comment

• Srrndhound
          • Sep 2008

^^ Menu > Display Setup > Timeout

Comment

• Srrndhound
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by HedgeHog
            Thx for the heads-up. I installed the firmware and enabled Dolby Volume but, so far, do not like what I'm hearing. The volume matches better between Standard Def and High Def on the HDPVR but it's like a bad loudness switch, imho. Seems to emphasize the background sound more than the main dialogue when boosting to match levels. I disabled it for BD and CD since I don't want more processing.
            I suggest turning off Modeler until they add a reference level adjustment (not holding my breath on that). Otherwise, Leveler works ok.
            Last edited by Srrndhound; 21 June 2012, 04:36 Thursday.

Comment

• JoseS
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Srrndhound
              ^^ Menu > Display Setup > Timeout
              So it's not a new feature then...

Comment

• slauten
                • Aug 2011

Did my upgrade on the SSP last night, the SSP part went good...but afterwards one of my CAM-400 amps does not turn on/off via the CAN BUS

The SSP sees the amp and can turn it on/off but it does not automatically turn on/off via the CAN BUS. While the SSP was doing it's up date the amp in question did do some blue light flashing. I guess somehow it got corrupted file on the amp now. Will try an amp update tonight.

Anybody else ruin up against weird stuff like this?

See Ya,
                Steve

Comment

• slauten
                  • Aug 2011

Question related to new software updates. In addition to the SSP-800 updates added. I see that other SSp units, plus amps show more recent version on 6/20/12. The update notes don't say anything is new, but the .zip files and related amp updates are dated 6/20/2012. Is there any actual changes that occurred for the amps software that an update is worthwhile?

See Ya,
                  Steve

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

From Classé:

"As for the amps, we increased the amount of time the surge resistors are in circuit during turn on to avoid possible nuisance blowing of the mains fuse."

Best customer service in the industry :T
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• slauten
                      • Aug 2011

Good to know!

Thanks,
                      Steve

Comment

• nikos
                        • Dec 2005

Software update question

I have skipped a few updates... and i'm sitting on 2.0.0 the original one when the new card was put in...

do i need to do incremental updates to each new version 2.0.2 then 2.04 etc or just the latest and its all inclusive...

I'm guessing just the latest but thought i'd double check.

N
                        Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Srrndhound
                          • Sep 2008

^^ No need for incremental. Just go for 2.0.6 directly.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"