X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

SSP-800 New Codecs

I am curious to see if any of you would like to have DTS-NeoX and Dolby Pro IIz as a software upgrade. It would be nice to have it 9.2 channels for large rooms
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • 8bitAudio
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by wettou
    I am curious to see if any of you would like to have DTS-NeoX and Dolby Pro IIz as a software upgrade. It would be nice to have it 9.2 channels for large rooms
    I'm sure many would. But I also think it may be counterproductive for a manufacturer to add features to a current product vs. developing a new product.

Particularly a company the size of Classe (small) with its long product cycles.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by 8bitAudio
      I'm sure many would. But I also think it may be counterproductive for a manufacturer to add features to a current product vs. developing a new product. Particularly a company the size of Classe (small) with its long product cycles.
      Well we are talking software upgrade I believe, the TI chip inside the SSP-800 should support the new codecs the way it supports Audyssey, I guess it comes down to a licensing issue!

By the way http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1792 "This product is not recommended for new designs."

Also I know that DN answered this sometime ago but might be worth revisiting as many new owners might be interested :T

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

Sure why not. Would keep the SSP-800 up to date for that much longer. No need for a completely new model until we get 4K for real and that will take a long time..

Comment

• Thumper
          • Apr 2009

I believe the SSP800 only has 10 outputs, so I guess 9.1 might be possible.

By the way http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1792 "This product is not recommended for new designs."
          The SSP800 uses the pcm1792A, still an active part.

Well we are talking software upgrade I believe, the TI chip inside the SSP-800 should support the new codecs the way it supports Audyssey, I guess it comes down to a licensing issue!
          TI may not be actively developing for the DSP chip used in the SSP800. So its not licensing but if available at all. There is a newer TI DSP in the Aureus series ( DA8xx ) that is aimed at high-end audio applications. This is probably the one that TI would have the newer codecs developed for. After all they want to sell more of the newer (read higher cost) IC.

Comment

• Skyblue
            • Jun 2009

I am personally happy with 4.1. How big a market is there at all for 9.2 in the quality that classe delivers? You would need many many B&W 800 series speakers to do it justice, and there aren't that many that rich interested people I think
            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Thumper
              I believe the SSP800 only has 10 outputs, so I guess 9.1 might be possible. The SSP800 uses the pcm1792A, still an active part.

TI may not be actively developing for the DSP chip used in the SSP800. So its not licensing but if available at all. There is a newer TI DSP in the Aureus series ( DA8xx ) that is aimed at high-end audio applications. This is probably the one that TI would have the newer codecs developed for. After all they want to sell more of the newer (read higher cost) IC.
              Gracias yes you are right TI like all others want to sell more.

We are the disposable society, throwaway, stuff, animals, people.... :cry:

Comment

• Srrndhound
                • Sep 2008

The TI Performance Audio Suite runs on all the recent TI platforms. That is not an issue wrt SSP having access to new "codecs" (actually these are not codecs, but surround modes). Having heard PLIIz, Neo:X, and DSX, I would not be interested in any such update.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                  The TI Performance Audio Suite runs on all the recent TI platforms. That is not an issue wrt SSP having access to new "codecs" (actually these are not codecs, but surround modes). Having heard PLIIz, Neo:X, and DSX, I would not be interested in any such update.
                  What is it that you didn't like? 8O

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"