X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stijn_e
    • Feb 2012

Rotel vs Classe / Classe paired with KEF Reference

Hi everyone,

Many years ago I switched a Yamaha receiver into a Rotel RSP-1069 / Rotel RMB-1075 set up which turned out to be an amazing upgrade - clear difference.

Meanwhile, I have upgraded speakers to KEF Reference series (205/2 fronts, 204c center, 201/2 rears).
    Since I feel like the Rotel is underpowering my speakers, and opening the amp to anything over level "65" sounds no longer clean, I am considering a more powerful amp.

1) I was looking at Classe CA-5200 however wondering if the real difference compared to the Rotel RMB-1075 will be equal to the price tag difference of these amps?
    2) Anyone tried to pair Classe with KEF Reference?

Thanks !
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

Welcome to the forum stijn e!

Like you, I previously had a Rotel amp; the RMB-1095 multichannel amp. It was a killer unit for the cash I paid. I really enjoyed it. I then replaced it with a CA-5200 and I never looked back. My speakers are Sony M9's and the increase in performance was incredible.

Though comapring Rotel and Classe is not exactly fair. Both are great products that are built and designed to meet a certain price point and for a particular clientele.

To answer your first question; will there be a difference? Absolutley! You just need to descide if the cost of admission is worth it to you.....
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Also bare in mind that once you get to a certain price point, the sonic benefits become smaller as you go up after that. At one point, you truly have to be happy with what you have. :T

Did I just say something sacrilegious!!?? OUCH!!! 8O
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by madmac
        Also bare in mind that once you get to a certain price point, the sonic benefits become smaller as you go up after that. At one point, you truly have to be happy with what you have. :T

Did I just say something sacrilegious!!?? OUCH!!! 8O
        lol, yes! The well known case of "diminishing returns". The relationship between outlay and return is definitely exponential, and with Classé, you're headed to the top end of the curve.

Just be clear, I upgraded from Rotel to Classé, and never looked back. I wouldn't do it again though - I would convince myself to be happy with Rotel - who make some fine gear at a great price point.

For the OP, perhaps you can audition an RMB-1575, which with its 250 watts might drive your Kefs more confidently than the 1075, and it's considerably less than a CA-5300.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"