X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueSander
    • Apr 2008

Decision time: classe ssp-300 or keeping rotel 1098

Hi,
    I'm running a setup with Rotel 1098 processor couple with Rotel 1075 amp with 802 front and HTM1 center. The amp isn't enough, yes, but while looking at a new amp. I came across a SSP-300. Will it make any different if I hang on to the current amp and "upgrade" my processor to SSP-300. I have heard great things abt Classe so I do want to try it out sometimes in the future (the setup I have always pictured in mind is SSP300/600 + 3200 amp and current speakers)
    Thanks
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Classé gear is definitely a step up from an already excellent processor, I moved up from a 1098 to an SSP-800 and was blown away by the difference. I'm sure the SSP-300, while older (than the 800), offers a big improvement in clarity - especially if you like the Classé sound.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hi,

I agree with Mike.

go with the ssp 300, no doubt.

Style

Comment

• Whacked!
        • Jun 2009

I would throw a different slant at the question.

If your needs are primarily for home theater, I would also consider other options such as the Marantz AV7005, Onkyo SC5508, Integra 80.3 or even the new Rotel 1572. The cost would not be dramatically different and you would get significantly improved connectivity for any future purchases. You would also get room correction. I haven't been able to compare any of these to the 1098 but also suspect that some of these options would surpass the 1098 for two channel.

If two channel is a priority, I'd be more inclined to look at a used Classe CP-500, or something that has a pass through feature for using the 1098 with it.

I do like the classe stuff - it's unfortunately been out of my price range - so don't want to be seen as slamming it, it is nice stuff. But for a processor, the 300 is getting pretty long in the tooth and personally feel there may be better options for similar money.

My 2 cents.

Norm

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Whacked!
          I would throw a different slant at the question.

If your needs are primarily for home theater, I would also consider other options such as the Marantz AV7005, Onkyo SC5508, Integra 80.3 or even the new Rotel 1572. The cost would not be dramatically different and you would get significantly improved connectivity for any future purchases. You would also get room correction. I haven't been able to compare any of these to the 1098 but also suspect that some of these options would surpass the 1098 for two channel.

If two channel is a priority, I'd be more inclined to look at a used Classe CP-500, or something that has a pass through feature for using the 1098 with it.

I do like the classe stuff - it's unfortunately been out of my price range - so don't want to be seen as slamming it, it is nice stuff. But for a processor, the 300 is getting pretty long in the tooth and personally feel there may be better options for similar money.

My 2 cents.

Norm
          Agreeing with the 'home theater' part of the above, but comparing Marantz to Classe gear is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Honda Accord!!! :rofl:
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• slauten
            • Aug 2011

The SSP-300 is a good piece of equipment, however it does not have balanced input/outputs. If you want that feature try to pick up an SSP-600. You can find those used at deeply discounted prices. Either unit is very nice and you will be happy with them.

See Ya,
            Steve

Comment

• Whacked!
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by madmac
              Agreeing with the 'home theater' part of the above, but comparing Marantz to Classe gear is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Honda Accord!!! :rofl:
              Admittedly, it is a bit of a stretch! However the improved conectivity, ability to decode the new audio formats, and room correction available in the newer equipment makes the option viable in my opinion.

Norm

Comment

• slauten
                • Aug 2011

Admittedly, it is a bit of a stretch! However the improved conectivity, ability to decode the new audio formats, and room correction available in the newer equipment makes the option viable in my opinion.

Norm
                SSP 600 has room correction with microphone included

See Ya,
                Steve

Comment

• Skyblue
                  • Jun 2009

Norm
                  That is actually a valid point. Dont expect your processor to work indefinately. HT formats changes every 5-10 years. I even believe Dave from Classe cited this very fact as a reason for not producing a bluray player.

Within 5 years we probably have 4k2k format for movies. Who knows if they dont add another "20 channel" sound format?

ah here we are. 4kK incomming, 8K being researched:

And "20 channel" is 22.2:

To quote Charles Hansen of Ayre (from my memory, not an exact quote): The chinese can produce anything very cheaply, so for the japanese to compete they need to keep inventing new stuff they can produce at japanese pay.

Well, that was a bad quote, however the point is the same: The japanese try to out invent the cheap chinese labor. Charles advice was to get the best 2 channel setup you can, and then upgrade your HT processor whenever things change.
                  B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• BlueSander
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by madmac
                    Wait, I'm a bit confused here so Marantz is the lambo and Classe is the honda??? I always thought it's the other way around.

Anyhow, the reason I asked about the SSP-300 is because a guy I know is letting it go for 1k, which is super cheap compared to many used one out there. The deal didn't go through and the processor isn't available anymore. I will probably hold out till the next time I see something else interesting.

Comment

• weijst
                      • Jun 2004

I went from a RSP1068 to a SSP-300. I would say no! Especially since the RSP1098 is considered to be even better than the RSP1068...
                      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

I am sorry, but I don't think we will have 4K in 5 years. The physical media is not there and expecting download speeds to increase to a point where 100 GB downloads could be done at close to real time playback is not in the near future.
                        That doesn't mean that I don't want in. Just that unless something new comes along and more importantly the content owners agree to accept that, then I think 4K will be a cinema play for the first long time..
                        and that makes me a bit sad..

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by BlueSander
                          Wait, I'm a bit confused here so Marantz is the lambo and Classe is the honda??? I always thought it's the other way around.

Anyhow, the reason I asked about the SSP-300 is because a guy I know is letting it go for 1k, which is super cheap compared to many used one out there. The deal didn't go through and the processor isn't available anymore. I will probably hold out till the next time I see something else interesting.

No,no,no

Marantz = Honda

CLASSE = LAMBO

Thx. :lol:

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Does the Marantz look like this?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
                              Does the Marantz look like this?

:rofl: A Marantz will NEVER look like that!!! :lol:

Comment

• aarsoe
                                • May 2004

In all fairness Marantz have made some absolutely gorgeous equipment in their long history - and still are. They just don't get much attention compared to their entry & mid range.
                                How about a 5 channel solution using 5 linked preamps? Or their top of line power amps that are really sweet.

Comment

• Alaric
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Not too shabby....
                                  Attached Files
                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                  Marantz CD5005
                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Alaric
                                    Not too shabby....

Beautiful looking player!!. I'm a HUGE fan of Marantz's players in general. Not wanting to sound like a snob though, I would choose Marantz's stuff over Yamaha or Denon for sure. It's just when you go upward amp wise to Rotel, and then onward to something like Classe, you are talking about completely different birds amp wise!! :E

Comment

• Glen B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jul 2004

I find the styling of the SA-11 and SA-15 to be more attractive than the SA-7.

Comment

• madmac
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Glen B
                                        I find the styling of the SA-11 and SA-15 to be more attractive than the SA-7.

Ok that really does look nice!!. Is that a BD/ DVD player or a straight out CD player?? :E

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"