X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jturkington
    • Sep 2011

SSP 300- Bass Deficiency

I have owned the SSP 300 for some time with matching CA5200 amp and B&W 803 & 804 Nautalis speakers. I was never satisfied with the bass and recently purchased B&W 803 Diamonds and a CA2300 amp hoping to fix the problem.

I was shocked and disappointed to find the bass output was still lacking so I ran a number of parallel tests against, amongst other amps, the Classe CP 800 and found there to be a MASSIVE difference in the bass output to the extent you could see it in length of driver excursion.

I sent the processor back to Classe who ran a full diagnostic and found it to be ok. They said the difference was due to the character of the amplifier and that I should get a subwoofer.

Given the potential capability of the 803 that I have validated through hearding them first hand through other systems (including with the CP 800 as mentioned), I disagree with this statement.

Has anyone else had similar issues with the SSP 300? Any ideas on how to improve the bass (I have tried all the modes and even used the 7.1 direct inputs). How does the SSP 800 sound in comparision?

SOS!

P.S I use Nordost Frey interconnects and speaker cable
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by jturkington
    I ran a number of parallel tests against, amongst other amps, the Classe CP 800 and found there to be a MASSIVE difference in the bass output to the extent you could see it in length of driver excursion.

Given the potential capability of the 803 that I have validated through hearding them first hand through other systems (including with the CP 800 as mentioned), I disagree with this statement.
    So your comparisons were done in different rooms? Maybe your room/arrangement is weak on bass. How are the speakers/seating set up?

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

IMO there is no reason for the setup you have to be wanting in the bass department. Are your speakers are correctly phased? Make sure the speakers are set to large, and the sub-woofer is disabled.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• jturkington
        • Sep 2011

The comparision was in the same room at my home and then also to make sure it wasn't specific to my set up, at the dealers demo room where he agreed with my conclusions.

Speakers are phased correctly and sub is switched off. The difference in response is so significant that you can see the difference in the bass driver movement.

Comment

• Srrndhound
          • Sep 2008

Bypass the SSP-300. Use an iPod headphone output direct to the power amp. Does the bass come back? Yes = SSP-300 has a problem. N = SSP-300 is ok.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"