X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gimp
    • Sep 2011

CP-800 questions

I'm very interested in the CP-800 and have a few questions:

1) Is it true that the USB input currently supports a maximum of 96/24? Are there any plans to upgrade USB to support 192/24? If so, when will it be available and will be upgrade be done through a firmware update or will the unit need to be shipped to Classe?
    2) When will the network connection be enabled? Will the upgrade be done through a firmware update or will the unit need to be shipped to Classe?
    3) Are sampling rate and bit-depth (e.g. 96/24) displayed when playing digital sources?
    4) Is there the capability to upsample?
    5) What is the current US MAP or MSRP?
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

1) I dont know what resolution it can handle, however there is NO 192/24 material. Nothing. The only thing you can get is vinyl rips off the internet, and they often does not sound as good as the 16/44 cd version. Dont worry about it. At the time when such material appear at all, the usb interface will be long gone.
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• gerardhn
      • Jun 2005

1) see above. All normal hi res availbale now ... it plays
      2) end of the year. It costs 500€ , so wil not only software i might guess.
      3)no, the software says it ..the cp says nothing
      4)no, i mean it does it automatically internally, it is not selectable.

Comment

• busby
        • Jul 2011

1) Rear panel USB supports 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz all at 24-bit. (The PC/Mac pads out 16-bit source material to 24 bits.) Front panel USB supports 32/44.1/48 kHz at 16-bit.
        3) The display shows the sampling rate in the centre-bottom part of the screen.
        4) Incoming sample rates of 44.1/88.2 kHz are up-sampled to 176.4 kHz; 32/48/96 kHz inputs are up-sampled to 192 kHz.

Comment

• gimp
          • Sep 2011

Thank you all for the responses. I actually own a number of purchased 192kHz/24-bit recordings. Some are ripped DVD-As and some are from HDTracks. For an example, please see:

We invite you to join us in this evaluation of future consumer delivery formats. Download high resolution audio files from Norwegian 2L in stereo 96kHz, 192kHz, DXD, DSD and 5.1 surround. MQA and FLAC are lossless encodings derived directly from our original production masters. Enjoy the music!

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

and a new phono card is the next upgrade:
            CP800 full preampli stereo in analog & digital !!

(will be available around 04.2012 -> in Europa)

style
            Last edited by style; 14 September 2011, 18:17 Wednesday.

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by gimp
              Thank you all for the responses. I actually own a number of purchased 192kHz/24-bit recordings. Some are ripped DVD-As and some are from HDTracks. For an example, please see:

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
              Maybe I dont keep up, I dont know. I havent seen much, is all I am saying.
              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• slauten
                • Aug 2011

Classe availability

Has anyone taken delivery of an SSP-800 or CP-800 lately?
                I ordered mine a few months ago and it might be here by the end of Oct.
                I have talked to multiple Classe dealers all of them agree there are delays getting product. I have not found any dealer in North Texas with an CP-800 to review.

I'm told the CP-800 just went into normal production, and anything out there were preproduction unit or demos.

I would like to know what the heck is going on?

See Ya,

Steve

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Does anyone know if an HDMI input is planned for the CP-800 in a future release?

I ask this question because it's not clear to me how 2-channel people like me will be able to take advantage of hi-res audio on Blu-ray music DVDs.

Nigel.

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                    Does anyone know if an HDMI input is planned for the CP-800 in a future release?

I ask this question because it's not clear to me how 2-channel people like me will be able to take advantage of hi-res audio on Blu-ray music DVDs.

Nigel.
                    ummm, you must buy an SSP-800 for HDMI and multi-channel, to compliment your 2 channel CP-800.
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

Nigel.
                      You can always get a BR player with built in HD codecs and analog outputs. Something like the Oppo BDP-83 / 83SE / 93 or 95.. I would go for 95 or 83SE for the better analog outputs.

Cheers...
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                        ummm, you must buy an SSP-800 for HDMI and multi-channel, to compliment your 2 channel CP-800.
                        That would be a pity and complete overkill for me.

I have been given hope by reviews of the CP-800 such as this one http://audiophilereview.com/preamps/...o-pay-off.html which states "It also smartly takes 2.1 HDMI audio and video inputs from Blu-ray." I can't find anything on the Classé web site to support this, hence my question.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                          You can always get a BR player with built in HD codecs and analog outputs. Something like the Oppo BDP-83 / 83SE / 93 or 95.. I would go for 95 or 83SE for the better analog outputs.

Cheers...
                          Yes, I agree that would be an option, but one of my motivations for considering a CP-800 is the high quality DAC inside it, particularly as this DAC is designed to convert hi-res audio streams delivered via USB.

Nigel.

Comment

• wildtangent
                            • Dec 2006

That would be a pity and complete overkill for me.

I have been given hope by reviews of the CP-800 such as this one http://audiophilereview.com/preamps/...o-pay-off.html which states "It also smartly takes 2.1 HDMI audio and video inputs from Blu-ray." I can't find anything on the Classé web site to support this, hence my question.

Nigel.
                            Well putting an HDMI video board and full DSP to decode the audio and give you a 2ch down-mix is kind of overkill as well. Some if not all of the few producers of BD-Audio discs, 2L for instance offer 2 channel Hi-Res FLAC files of their disc offerings. These files are a perfect match for the CP800.

Then again the SSP800 DACs are reputed by the same press as the best in class.
                            Last edited by wildtangent; 15 October 2011, 08:26 Saturday.

Comment

• audemars
                              • Oct 2011

Hello, fellow Texan!

I took delivery of my CP-800 ~2 months ago. Purchased new, factory-sealed from Shazad @ digitalear.com. Certainly owe a dedicated post with pics/review, but will say I'm VERY happy w/a 2011 Mac Mini (iTunes via BitPerfect app)-> Transparent USB -> CP-800 -> McIntosh MC452 -> ML Vantage.

My preamp-less foray began w/the PerfectWave DAC + Bridge. Incessant drop-outs (both network and eLyric iPad remote), firmware updates which drastically impacted SQ, collapsed soundstage, low volume resolution, etc. eventually forced a parting of ways. To my ears and others, CP-800 is in another league.

FYI, Robert Adam @ Classe claims the Ethernet update is slated for "sometime" in 2012.

Originally posted by slauten
                              Has anyone taken delivery of an SSP-800 or CP-800 lately?
                              I ordered mine a few months ago and it might be here by the end of Oct.
                              I have talked to multiple Classe dealers all of them agree there are delays getting product. I have not found any dealer in North Texas with an CP-800 to review.

I'm told the CP-800 just went into normal production, and anything out there were preproduction unit or demos.

I would like to know what the heck is going on?

See Ya,

Steve

Comment

• Aquarius
                                • Oct 2008

I plugged headphones in CP-800 but there is no automatic line selection so there's no sound.

Does anybody knows how to listen music on headphones using CP-800? :/

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

I was wondering if any of you have ever compared the following for better sound quality for HD music Files?

OPTION 1: Oppo BDP-95 SPDIF to CP-800
                                  Using the DAC in the CP-800
                                  Wolfson WM8741 32-bit/192kHz chip

or

OPTION 2: Oppo BDP-95 XLR- XLR to CP-800
                                  Using the
                                  Sabre ES9018 DAC in the Oppo, BDP-95
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Aquarius
                                    I plugged headphones in CP-800 but there is no automatic line selection so there's no sound.
                                    Do the speakers mute when the headphones are plugged it? If so, then the unit is detecting properly.

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

USB cable?

Can you tell me what USB cable you use and does it make a difference?

Any one tried Furutech GT2 cable

Also I read that you need to stay under 3 m, why?
                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Aquarius
                                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                                        Do the speakers mute when the headphones are plugged it? If so, then the unit is detecting properly.
                                        Well, that's the problem. Speakers DO NOT MUTE after plugging the headphones. :/

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Aquarius
                                          Well, that's the problem. Speakers DO NOT MUTE after plugging the headphones. :/
                                          Seriously? What's the point of listening to your headphones when you are probably trying to keep it quite in the house at night, if you can't also mute the external speakers?

Hopefully that is just a software glitch!

Comment

• Aquarius
                                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                            Seriously? What's the point of listening to your headphones when you are probably trying to keep it quite in the house at night, if you can't also mute the external speakers?

Hopefully that is just a software glitch!
                                            The fact is, ONLY right channel mutes. Definitely a hardware failure.

But here's the tip... If you are using CAN-Bus between CP-800 and power amp, you can select power amp through the menu on CP-800 and select MUTE option on power amp. And there you go! Not bad for a 5000 € gear. Damn!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Thre are no plans for an HDMI enabled CP-800. When I discussed this with Classe' two years ago they said HDMI would not be part of any running changes planned for the existing platform. Their decision was partly due to the added cost the CP-800 would incur plus getting hires content into the unit does not require an HDMI interface for 2CH audio.
                                              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou

I was wondering if any of you have ever compared the following for better sound quality for HD music Files?

OPTION 1: Oppo BDP-95 SPDIF to CP-800
                                                Using the DAC in the CP-800
                                                Wolfson WM8741 32-bit/192kHz chip

or

OPTION 2: Oppo BDP-95 XLR- XLR to CP-800
                                                Using the
                                                Sabre ES9018 DAC in the Oppo, BDP-95
                                                I have neither, but I know one who has Oppo 95 and SSP800 and he preferred the oppo dac to the ssp800.

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                                  I have neither, but I know one who has Oppo 95 and SSP800 and he preferred the oppo dac to the ssp800.
                                                  :B:rofl::lol: :W :demon:

Comment

• beden1
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2006

I can't see how this is possible!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

If your intentions are to keep the signal as faithful to the original as possible then there is no choice but OPTION 1. Less is more in this case.

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                        If your intentions are to keep the signal as faithful to the original as possible then there is no choice but OPTION 1. Less is more in this case.
                                                        Except that for SACD it won't work

See the new Mark Levinson with HDMi and DSD :T Only $100 more than the Classé

"Finally, the $6000 No560 Digital Audio Processor has two HDMI inputs, also with DSD-direct capability, two optical and two electrical S/PDIF inputs, an AES/EBU XLR input and three USB 2.0 inputs, plus RCA and XLR analogue outs.

It has 'isolated digital and analogue circuitry with independent power supplies, asynchronous clocking to ensure jitter-free performance from the dual 32-bit DACs, premium quality internal components throughout and many additional enhancements."

Founded in 1972, and now part of Harman Group, Mark Levinson is launching new preamp, integrated amp, SACD player and digital processor

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                          • Sep 2008

But the 560 has no bass management or EQ. Apples to oranges.

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                                                            But the 560 has no bass management or EQ. Apples to oranges.
                                                            !! OK that's interesting

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                                              Except that for SACD it won't work

See the new Mark Levinson with HDMi and DSD :T Only $100 more than the Classé
                                                              Uhhh, you said.. "music files" No such thing on SACDs.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Oct 2005

could just pick up the nad 51

hell of a lot cheaper and hell of a lot more revolutionary. saw one at the recent melbourne hifi/av show. lovely well made piece that seems quite heavily featured including all manner of digital inputs including hdmi and a high resolution pre amp, and just about all manner of connectivity possible.
                                                                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• roubaixpro
                                                                  • Mar 2012

SSP-800 / CP-800 Combo Question

I am planning to get an SSP-800 for home theater use but also want to listen to two channel audio using a computer audio setup. I was initially planning to just connect a music server using a separate USB to S/PDIF converter and DAC to the SSP-800.

However, when I visited a Classe dealer, he recommended getting the SSP-800 for home theater use and the CP-800 stereo preamp processor for computer audio use. Regarding the CP-800, my understanding that this has both a stereo analog/digital preamp and an asynchronous USB DAC contained in one component. This means that I can plug an Aurender S10 music server into the CP-800 using a USB cable and output to the SSP-800. The CP-800 accepts PCM data streams up to 24bit/192kHz sampling frequency. The dealer said that the DAC in the CP-800 was far superior to the one used in the SSP-800.

Does anyone have experience using the CP-800 for computer audio use and if so what is the sound quality like compared to a high quality CD player? Classe claims that when playing computer audio files, the CP-800 surpasses the sound quality of a good CD player.

The dealer also said that Classe products are “price protected” and that he could not sell them below the list prices. Is it true that there is no room for negotiation on the list prices for new components? Can the dealer lower prices on only demo items?

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2009

I have heard the price protected thing as well. However, while the dealer can't give you a discount on the classe, he can throw in a lot of other stuff for free...

Comment

• Tweir
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2006

I have heard the price protected thing as well. However, while the dealer can't give you a discount on the classe, he can throw in a lot of other stuff for free...

That's a good way to stay in business!

Comment

• beden1
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2006

Since when have Classe dealers stopped offering discounts?

Comment

• audioaddict9
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2012

CP 800 Digital Source Unit

Hi all,

Greetings from sunny South Africa

I hope i"m posting in the correct forum here, but here goes!

I recently purchased a CP 800 and i have read numerous opinions stating material sounds better through the USB inputs from a digital source than from a cd player.

Now in the context of my system, my Electrocompaniet cd player sounds far better than with the same cd converted to Apple Lossless and played through my Ipad.

Now perhaps i am doing something wrong. Maybe someone can offer some advice?

My main reason for posting is this: what would be the optimal source unit for this preamp? Would you say a Mac (Macbook or Mini Mac perhaps?) or is there another option that would work better?

Thanks in advance,

AA

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2009
                                                                            • 504

Setting up a computer to play via usb is a science in itself.

Your ipad is NOT a good audiophile source. Itunes for mac can be, but you'd need to set it up with amarra or some other plugin to make it sound good.

For pc's also require some setup. Either use asio4all with foobar for instance, or try jplay (jplay.eu) or some of the other audiophile players and plugins that exist out there.

Any barebone computer, be it mac or pc, can be improved tremendously when it comes to soundquality.

Comment

• audioaddict9
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Apr 2012
                                                                              • 4

#39
                                                                              Thanks for the response Skyblue.

In your opinion would a mac mini with amarra be a fair way to start?

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Sep 2009
                                                                                • 60

#40
                                                                                Here's a great resource for creating and managing DIY computer based music servers:

Comment

• audioaddict9
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2012
                                                                                  • 4

#41
                                                                                  Thanks rq, very informative site that..

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2009
                                                                                    • 504

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by audioaddict9
                                                                                    Thanks for the response Skyblue.

In your opinion would a mac mini with amarra be a fair way to start?
                                                                                    I myself prefer pc's, but macs are used by many. Incl. classe and ayre... Mac mini would be a good start. Also read Ayre's mac setup guide. I used their pc guide and it was very good.

Comment

• audioaddict9
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2012
                                                                                      • 4

#43
                                                                                      I think i may head the mac mini route, now which model to buy! Thanks for the input (that ayre guide is the bomb)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                      Search Result for "|||"