• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

changing SSP800 for CP800??

hi,

the SSP800 is a great processor. no word. the new CP800 have a lot of possibility and after a listing of this one by Classe if do you have the posibility to sell the SSP , replace it with a Marantz, Onkyo or other for HT and go with the CP800 for the stereo in not a bad idea!

what is your opinion?

of course if waht is your proirity: the HT or the 2 hannel stereo system!

Style
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Some folks might like that idea. But not me. I don't listen to music in stereo. Phantom vocals are too hollow, for one.

Comment

• garak
      • Jul 2007

Hi Omar,

For me, I would keep the SSP-800 for music because I have many SACDs.

If you don't have any multichannel music, then pairing the CP-800 with another HT processor might be ok.

But why not keep the SSP-800, and add the CP-800. You'll likely be losing money on the sale of the SSP-800, so I say keep it.

Brian

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

The retail of a Marantz AV7005 is $1,499 USD. The cost of a 1.4 upgrade board for the Classe SSP-800 is $1,500 USD. Check out the features of the AV7005 and see what the same money buys. (not even taking into consideration that you can also get a discount on the Marantz)

Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.

CP-800 is $5,000 USD + AV7005 is $1,500 USD= $6,500 USD.
        SSP-800 is $9,000 USD.

The AV7005 beats the SSP-800 in HT features and HT performance hands down. Marantz customer service is also excellent (first hand experience), as is Classe. The HT sound win edges to SSP-800, but not by much by any means, and the difference will not be audible for 98%+ of the consumers. Marantz did an excellent job with this unit. Stereo win goes to Classe, but this would be satisfied by getting the CP-800.

Quality of build goes to Classe hands down.

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Could easialy be tempted to have both the SSP-800 and the CP-800. Would also be great if I ever should be so lucky to have a dedicated home theather and therefore would need to split both.
          Only issue is that there is a lot of very good preamps out there. Who says the CP-800 is the best in terms of value for the money... But I am still tempted..
          Guess that in the end a couple of 600s mono amps are a higher priority for me.. :-)

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

thy guys!

Is not easy! I understad you garak..if I sell the ssp800 for little money and the loss os to much I keep it.....but the Beden's think is too true.
            I dont have so much sacd, I have much concert, dvd & bluray with codec dts,DD dts HD....
            with the 802 I listen in stereo a lot more vs. before....
            in europa the CP800 price is at chf. 7600.- (you know the money change today is not good for the chf. vs. other $$)

sell the SSP for ca. Euro. 5000.- : with this money have a new CP800 and buy a new Marantz.....(I have request a price from the CP800 at my friend..like wrote next week come the first cp800 delivery! -> have a new CP with a 30% discount!)
            the cp700 is no more at the level from the news ...is available in second hand from 3k. Usd.!!
            of course keep the SSP and buy the CP800 is too a good idea but the combo cp800&CA2300 is very great!

I do aarsoe, the mono 600 are great, stereophile say are amazing.. but in
            not dedicate room have the 2 x mono 600 ifor what? any possibilty to use this jewels at the top!
            example: the ca2300 vs. the 2x cam300 is very similar! the 2 mono 300 have "only" in LF more power... in HF is the same!

with the Marantz option you can too think to change the processor each years without a scary the waste the money like with the SSP.....
            (usd.1500(chf. 2800! vs. SSP usd.9000/ Chf. 13000!!!!)

well over the paper is a good thing...or???

thx style

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Style

First kudos for a much better effort on the language..

I originally replaced a Marantz AV8003 with the SSP-800. Have to admit that the difference was not as big as I expected, but I still have the AV8003 and it is now working as a secondary installation. Guess my point is that for some reason what is a logically good thing to do is not always the same as me doing it.
              In the end even if the SSP-800 is a pain to setup, compared to Audessy, the sound quality and more importantly the quality of the equipment is what make me love the Classe gear.
              As someone from Switzerland I would point to the fact that you can buy a cheap watch that will be perfect in it's ability to show you what the time is, but a handmade Swiss watch is so much more than that.
              Guess that is why I also love most things created with a real sense for detail..

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hallo,

@aarsoe, thank you !

I understand your thinking: is true..I can have a "Swacht" always made in Switzerland for 50Euros... or a Glashütte, J le Coultre replica ...BUT
                I will go with Classe to have a status simbol!
                of course Marantz (or all other receiver) are a valid products, they give to satisfaction,.... and and you can say the y are a "second choice"!!!! (vs. Classe, Krell, and big name from high end!)

aarsoe, I have buy a Ssp sold and buy another one! = have a Classe is not only for the performance but too for the "indise value"!!!

and like you have wrote "real snse for the details!!!" is the point that a consumer MUST decide if is a priority or a "only" a second thought!

That's right?

Style

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

NEW's

CP800 is in order!

at the end of the next will be in my littl home!!!! :T

just closed with Classe the purchasing!

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                    NEW's

CP800 is in order!

at the end of the next will be in my littl home!!!! :T

just closed with Classe the purchasing!
                    Congratulations Omar. I will be very interested in reading how the CP-800 functions and sounds, particularly as compared to the SSP-800.

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Hi Brooks, more new cine next week ... and I go decide if I go keep the SSP or not....

I'm a little scary over the compatibilty Marantz Classe ....with xlr too...

you have necer connect the 70035 with the ampli Classe correct?

what do you thing?

Omar

Comment

• gerardhn
                        • Jun 2005

Style,

do you have the ethernet streaming function included in your new CP 800??

Gerard

Comment

• fourxmotion
                          • Aug 2009

That option is not available yet. There will be an add-on module in the future to enable that feature.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Are you sooo sure?
                            the vesion today available in Usa are not the same that are in europa.

My freind say me that is a full version.

in every case I go have a ethernet streaming version.

Now the point sell or not sell the SSP?
                            Itoday I have connec t a hold Rotel with the Classe ....and if is different but ssp chf. 13000.- vs. chf. 240 from the Rotel.....uhmmm 10k. chf. is a lot of money for so a little difference..
                            but Classe is always Classe...-Y post with aarsoe!!
                            Style

Comment

• gerardhn
                              • Jun 2005

I agree with style,
                              my dealer said the same: they are directly equipped with streaming module.

but always good to be sure...

Comment

• fourxmotion
                                • Aug 2009

I was told directly from Classe it is not included and there will be a hardware upgrade to enable later. The owners manual says the same thing:

"Ethernet Connector -
                                This connector is provided for an optional hardware module that will be
                                made available in the future. It is inoperable until the optional module has
                                been installed."

It does not make sense that the Europe version would be different than the US version in this regard. The streaming function would not be different between the US and Europe.

I have had the CP-800 for two weeks and the ethernet port is non-functional.
                                Last edited by fourxmotion; 19 June 2011, 23:47 Sunday.

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

Hallo hfriedman,

the CP have 2 usp port.
                                  front and rear. if you go connect a pc/mac you dont have any problem to listen music.

the extra piece tht will be avialable in 2 month is only to use a multiedia the is not drived from a computer.

in not a very neccessary parts..if you have a Mac and you use this last connect to the cp800 you con listen music in streaming always.

this extra part will be around 400-600euros ( Usa 500 $) -Y this to connect a "multimedia music storage".

in every case I go have this "part" with any extra money.... :T

if your target is use the system ONLY with a multimedia can be a good thing but is you go have a cd player ANd a Mac on the rack with the Cp800 make really not much sense.

AND
                                  very very strange but Classe dont sell not more at 10 cd player each year!!!
                                  they have the cd forgot!! : RIP!!!! 8O 8O 8O

style

Sorry but you have had the xp800..?!?! is just release in europa: in usa is available not from long time..a paar month !!!!
                                  you have prototopy?!?!
                                  Last edited by style; 20 June 2011, 17:16 Monday.

Comment

• nhpm510
                                    • Sep 2006

My Classe 2200 with Marantz 7005 is okay for two channel.
                                    I hooked my NAD M15 to the Classe and it was better for music.
                                    Then again my M15 only has one HDMI out and no networking.

Function is winning over form at Chez Nhpm510.

I agree with beden1:
                                    CP-800 is $5,000 USD + AV7005 is $1,500 USD= $6,500 USD.
                                    SSP-800 is $9,000 USD.

The AV7005 beats the SSP-800 in HT features and HT performance hands down. Marantz customer service is also excellent (first hand experience), as is Classe. The HT sound win edges to SSP-800, but not by much by any means, and the difference will not be audible for 98%+ of the consumers. Marantz did an excellent job with this unit. Stereo win goes to Classe, but this would be satisfied by getting the CP-800.

Comment

• style
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Feb 2006

Hi nhpm510,

yes the cp800 & AV7005 is not so expensive like the ss & cp OK I agree.
                                      but if you have the ssp in your home what do you do?
                                      you go sel the Ssp for 1/3 from the price paied to replace it with the Marantz 7005?

style

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

Hi nhpm510,

yes the cp800 & AV7005 is not so expensive like the ss & cp OK I agree.
                                        but if you have the ssp in your home what do you do?
                                        you go sel the Ssp for 1/3 from the price paied to replace it with the Marantz 7005?

style
                                        A used SSP-800 is selling used for only 1/3rd of what you paid for it?

If I had to do it over again, and I was building one system to combine music and HT, I would go with the Classe CP-800 and the Marantz AV7005 for the front end equipment.

The Marantz system is really working out great for my HT system. I am very pleased with it. I also had a Universal Remote programmed last week and the system is now complete. It's nice when everything works flawlessly and as it should, without any little nit picky things that are always frustrating. :T

Comment

• style
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2006

Hallo Brooks,

yes a SSP is availble (the little pc. that you can found in the 2 hand market) for around 4-4500euro.
                                          full price in euro. 9000.- in Chf. 13000.- (and chf. 13000 with the change €<->chf. is 1.2 -at today! / €. 10900.-!!!)
                                          is like a CA2200 : second hand arond 3000 euros!!!(new price chf. 9650!!!)

and all respect but the AV7005 is a good AV pre bu you don't can compare a SSP vs. a AV7005!!!

like wrote is was at the beginning of the HT "story" the AV7005 was a perfect choice but if do you have a SSP at home is really stupid go sell it for so little money!

a universal remote ? personaly i thing is not a great choice, you go have alwys a debugt with the sorfware: i don't have never lread a good review for a remote control! (a obiective review not the link from the producer)

omar

Comment

• Skyblue
                                            • Jun 2009

Hallo Brooks,

yes a SSP is availble (the little pc. that you can found in the 2 hand market) for around 4-4500euro.
                                            full price in euro. 9000.- in Chf. 13000.- (and chf. 13000 with the change €<->chf. is 1.2 -at today! / €. 10900.-!!!)

and all respect but the AV7005 is a good AV pre bu you don't can compare a SSP vs. a AV7005!!!

like wrote is was at the beginning of the HT "story" the AV7005 was a perfect choice but if do you have a SSP at home is really stupid go sell it for so little money!

a universal remote ? personaly i thing is not a great choice, you go have alwys a debugt with the sorfware: i don't have never lread a good review for a remote control! (a obiective review not the link from the producer)

omar
                                            I have used a logitech harmony one for several years with several systems. It works perfectly. One remote to rule them all.
                                            B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• style
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2006

hi Sky,
                                              i'm hapy for you.

but you can make / drive all the function like a original remote?

or ou can change the source , the volume,..basic use mode?

the "one" is a unexpensive remote an you need to cd with drivers to install into it with a computer or?

Comment

• beden1
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2006

Hallo Brooks,

omar
                                                I guess I don't understand the need to buy a CP-800 when you already have the SSP-800, as the SSP-800 already sounds great for stereo?

But, if I did not already have the SSP-800, and I was starting over from scratch, like I said, I would get the CP-800 for stereo and the Marantz AV-7005 for the HT processor.

The Marantz AV-7005 just functions much better than the SSP-800 for everyday HT operation and the sound is very close in HT. I also don't have the handshake issues with the Marantz, beyond a very, very minimal hesitation when going from an HD station to an non-HD station.

The Universal remote I purchased was custom programmed by an installer. He did a fantastic job including all functions and replacing the remotes of six components, along with being very easy for everyone in my family to use. He also included many graphics that make it even easier to understand. I was never a fan of universal remotes before either, until now!
                                                This is the one I got: http://www.universalremote.com/produ...remotes/mx-980

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

Brooks,
                                                  yes go buy a CP800 wuth the SSP800 at home is "a little stranger" but is very great the new cp800.

Sorry but you dont can make a comparasaison AV7005 vs. SSP800!!
                                                  to use the SSP800 is more intuitive, the AV7005 have a lot of posibilty thath's right but the Dac frm the SSP is much, much better from what do Marantz can!
                                                  dont' confuse the possibilty of a gear (im this case Marantz and all the "optional" available and the pefomance delyverd from the Classe!)

I'm not a foan from universal remote control, and my experience with a Logitech and a friend with a marantz more expensive was not positive!

you say, the Av7005 & Cp800 but as preamplifier always your Classe or waht in stereo?

Omar

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                    • Jun 2009

hi Sky,
                                                    i'm hapy for you.

but you can make / drive all the function like a original remote?

or ou can change the source , the volume,..basic use mode?

the "one" is a unexpensive remote an you need to cd with drivers to install into it with a computer or?
                                                    The logitech harmony works quite simple, if you want it to.

You just specify which units you have (classe ssp800, pioneer lx5090h, oppo bdp 83, local danish cable box). Then you specify what you want to do. Watch tv: volume is ssp800, change channel is cable box, set inputs to hdmi 1 and so on.... This works fine.

Then all the options that are not buttons on the harmony one, become buttons on the touch screen. THe software knows all the options each unit has. So the ssp800 device will get touch screen buttons for selecting input 1, ... and F1, F2, .. and so on. Should something be missing, you can record the IR signal from your original remote into the harmony one, and add a special shortcut for that.

Its not "perfect" in a mathematical sense. I have a button it wont record. But I had it for 3 years, and theres no way I am going back to a stack of remotes. It really is very nice.
                                                    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• beden1
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2006

Brooks,
                                                      yes go buy a CP800 wuth the SSP800 at home is "a little stranger" but is very great the new cp800.

Sorry but you dont can make a comparasaison AV7005 vs. SSP800!!
                                                      to use the SSP800 is more intuitive, the AV7005 have a lot of posibilty thath's right but the Dac frm the SSP is much, much better from what do Marantz can!
                                                      dont' confuse the possibilty of a gear (im this case Marantz and all the "optional" available and the pefomance delyverd from the Classe!)

I'm not a foan from universal remote control, and my experience with a Logitech and a friend with a marantz more expensive was not positive!

you say, the Av7005 & Cp800 but as preamplifier always your Classe or waht in stereo?

Omar
                                                      The Marantz is in an HT only system where my family watches TV and movies. I have a separate stereo system set up in another section of the house to use when I want to listen to music.

I have never said that the Marantz sounds as good or better than the SSP-800 for music. For HT however, I would rather use the Marantz processor because it works much better and has more features. It also sounds very good for HT.

Comment

• style
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Feb 2006

well, this is true: the AV7005 sound bery fine in HT, better as the 8003....(that was much more expensive! (in switzerland AV7005 = chf. 2400.- / 8003 = chf. 4950.- of course new....but a second hand of the 8003 for a little mnus fron a new 7005 in not the best solution: the AV7005 new !)

Comment

• a2k2000
                                                          • Aug 2011

Did anyone replace the SSP 800 with the CP800 or do a AB test between the both. I currently have an AV7005 and am planning to get the CP800 for 2 Channel for the same system. The other option is to sell the AV7005 and get an SSP 800.

Comment

• slauten
                                                            • Aug 2011

ssp-800 vs. cp800 with ssp-600

Hi-my 1st post on the Classe forum. Need some help deciding which direction to go on my Classe gear. I already own a SSP-600 that I bought as a demo with with factory warranty which cost me $3250. I have return options since I just got it from Classe dealer. I'm considering getting the CP-800 as my preamp/DAC. and use it with the SSP-600. The other option is an SSP-800 by itself.

Which direction to go? Total outlay is about the same. Using all XLR cables

Amps are Classe CA-M400 x 2 for main speakers and CA-5100 for surrounds and center channel.

I also have a Classe CDP-300 and Marantz UD9004 Blu Ray/SACD player. I don't own any SACD yet. The UD9004 is supposed to play anything under the sun, except HD-DVD.

From a overall best package I think the CP-800 may be best since the only significant thing I give up with SSP-600 is HDMI.

So what do you think I should do?

Thanks,
                                                            Steve

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                              • May 2004

As far as I recall the SSP-600 doesn't do high def, so I would say there are a lot of reasons to do the SSP-800.

Comment

• slauten
                                                                • Aug 2011

To my knowledge, the SSP-600 does most of what the SSP-800 does except no HDMI inputs or outputs. I run my HDMI directly to my TV from Blu Ray and CDP-300, same with Verizon Fios. From my BD and CDP-300, and Fios I ran digital coax to SSP-600.

No doubt the SSP-800 is the best of the best. I think CP-800 is too. Based on the reviews on this forum and other sites it appears the CP-800 is a game changer related to audiophile grade sound from digital sources. My point being...is there something significant I'm giving up by using the SSP-600 for HT, and CP-800 for everything else? At some point I will likely get the SSP-800 too. I'm thinking my overall system is better with a SSP-600 and a CP-800 rather than just a SSP-800 by itself.

What am I missing?

Comment

• garak
                                                                  • Jul 2007

If you go the SSP-600 and CP-800 route, you'll be missing the hi-def codecs for movies (DD TrueHD and dtsHD).

I would say it depends on how you use your system. If you use your system primarily for movies or multi-channel audio, the SSP-800 is probably the better route. For primarily stereo music, the SSP-600 and CP-800 may be the way you want to go.

Comment

• slauten
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by garak
                                                                    If you go the SSP-600 and CP-800 route, you'll be missing the hi-def codecs for movies (DD TrueHD and dtsHD).

I would say it depends on how you use your system. If you use your system primarily for movies or multi-channel audio, the SSP-800 is probably the better route. For primarily stereo music, the SSP-600 and CP-800 may be the way you want to go.

I have the Marantz UD9004 which provides the hi-def codecs for movies, both DD TrueHD and dtsHD. Specs for Marantz BD are:

Dual HDMI outputs allows Audio Video separate output for High Fidelity Playback
                                                                    BD-Profile2.0(BD-Live), BD-Java, BONUS VIEW support
                                                                    Plays SA-CD(Stereo/Multi), BD-Video/-ROM, DVD-Audio/-Video/-R/-R DL/-RW/+R/+R DL/+RW, CD-R/RW and MP3/WMA/DivX(ver.6)/AVCHD/JPEG/Kodak Picture CD discs
                                                                    Copper plated chassis and Tri box construction
                                                                    Copper shielded Large Toroidal Transformer
                                                                    Zinc Die-cast Enclosure, Aluminum Die-cast Tray Mechanism
                                                                    Total 4 boards, Marantz HDAM-SA2&HDAM analog audio circuits w/ Custom audio parts
                                                                    192 kHz/32-bit Audio DAC AK4399 for all channels
                                                                    Dolby True HD, dts-HD MA decoder
                                                                    REALTA HQV Video Processor
                                                                    Support 24fps, 36-bit Deep Color
                                                                    297MHz/14-bit Analog Devices Video DAC ADV7344 for Component Video Out
                                                                    297MHz/12-bit Analog devices Video DAC ADV7340 for S-Video/Video Out
                                                                    Anchor Bay Technology I/P & Scaler ABT2010, ABT1012 for Analog Video Out
                                                                    SD Card slot for playback MP-3/WMA/JPEG
                                                                    Firmware update capability via Internet

Based on this I can output digital coax, or optical to SSP-600, and balanced output to SSP-600 or CP-800. I'm not totally up to speed on all aspect of the HiDef codes, etc on DD TrueHD and dtsHD. Do these work only on HDMI for te sound portion? I would assume they also work via digital outputs too.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

• wildtangent
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by slauten
                                                                      I have the Marantz UD9004 which provides the hi-def codecs for movies, both DD TrueHD and dtsHD. Specs for Marantz BD are:

Based on this I can output digital coax, or optical to SSP-600, and balanced output to SSP-600 or CP-800. I'm not totally up to speed on all aspect of the HiDef codes, etc on DD TrueHD and dtsHD. Do these work only on HDMI for te sound portion? I would assume they also work via digital outputs too.
                                                                      If you use SPDIF you will only get the legacy Dolby Digital or DTS audio.
                                                                      The players ability to decode is fine but the decoded Hi-Def PCM is only transferable over HDMI. You can use the analog outputs from the UD9004 into the SSP600 7.1 bypass but then distances, levels and any bass management needs to be done in the player and the SSP is reduced to a volume control.

Comment

• rickc
                                                                        • Sep 2006

I would buy a used CP 700. (half the price of the CP800) I have an SSP 600 and a CP 700. I compared the CP800 to the CP700 for two channel and I did not think that the CP800 sounded any better!

The only advantage that the CP 800 had was the USB Ipod connection. I use the Wadia transport for my CP700 and it sounds just as good as the the CP800. I also think the fact that the power supply is seperate with the CP 700 versus the CP800 makes a huge difference. All high end systems utilize this set up!

My next upgrade would be going to the Classe 600 mono blocks versus my current CAM 400s and or upgrade my 802D's to the new B&W 800's Or add a high end turntable!

You are splitting hairs with the preamp!

Comment

• diononiz
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • May 2011

I asked two people at Classe whether or not they felt the CP800 was better than than the CP700 as a two channel preamp and they both felt it was significantly better. (In fact both said "the best we have ever created") They both felt the power supply in the CP800 is a breakthrough design and is much quieter and quite honestly far superior. They also felt for two channel performance, nothing else in the lineup matches it including the CDP-502. When I receive mine I will be doing some more testing with a few friends and will come to my own conclusions. Unfortunately since the demand has been so high, the wait time is now 5-7 weeks.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2006
                                                                            • 1676

Originally posted by diononiz
                                                                            I asked two people at Classe whether or not they felt the CP800 was better than than the CP700 as a two channel preamp and they both felt it was significantly better. (In fact both said "the best we have ever created") They both felt the power supply in the CP800 is a breakthrough design and is much quieter and quite honestly far superior. They also felt for two channel performance, nothing else in the lineup matches it including the CDP-502. When I receive mine I will be doing some more testing with a few friends and will come to my own conclusions. Unfortunately since the demand has been so high, the wait time is now 5-7 weeks.
                                                                            I appreciate what Classe is saying about their new CP-800, but, my concern is that nobody has definitively come here to say that it does sound significantly better, or even as good as the SSP-800. I am still waiting for this type of commentary before getting too excited about another new Classe product that may or may not be ready for retail.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 1483

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by beden1
                                                                              I appreciate what Classe is saying about their new CP-800, but, my concern is that nobody has definitively come here to say that it does sound significantly better, or even as good as the SSP-800. I am still waiting for this type of commentary before getting too excited about another new Classe product that may or may not be ready for retail.
                                                                              Agreed 100%.

Classe might be (justifiably) pleased with their work on the CP-800 and USB sources, but they're also proud of their SSP-800 and HDMI jitter reduction circuitry. If your source can do either, like the Mac Mini can, then choose which ever fits best - ie, HDMI with an SSP-800.

I think if your primary interest is surround, go for the SSP-800, if its stereo, go for the CP-800. Whatever happens in between is a question of economics ;-)
                                                                              - Mike

Main System:
                                                                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2003
                                                                                • 2299

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by beden1
                                                                                Is it better than the SSP-800? I don't know. I've not compared the two back to back. If I remember correctly they are using different DACs so I would imagine it to have different tonal characteristics that are detectable.

I do know I've enjoyed it when I listened to it. but it has been explicitly in 2-channel systems.

I think the thing is, if you are happy with what you have, don't worry about it. ignorance is bliss. If you are willing to spend the money to get possible gain then go for it!
                                                                                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• slauten
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2011
                                                                                  • 105

#41
                                                                                  I truly appreciate the feedback that's been given. Since my primary focus is HT I'm going to take back the SSP-600 and get the SSP-800.

I will be on the lookout for a CP-700 or CP-800, and if the right price will get that too. I have a lot of mint LP's, many of them from MFSL. I want a good pre-amp that can handle a turntable.

See Ya,
                                                                                  Steve

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2006
                                                                                    • 1676

#42
                                                                                    I truly appreciate the feedback that's been given. Since my primary focus is HT I'm going to take back the SSP-600 and get the SSP-800.

I will be on the lookout for a CP-700 or CP-800, and if the right price will get that too. I have a lot of mint LP's, many of them from MFSL. I want a good pre-amp that can handle a turntable.

See Ya,
                                                                                    Steve
                                                                                    As Sikoniko infers, you might decide that you won't need a dedicated stereo pre-amp once you have the chance to enjoy the SSP-800.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2006
                                                                                      • 1676

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                                      Is it better than the SSP-800? I don't know. I've not compared the two back to back. If I remember correctly they are using different DACs so I would imagine it to have different tonal characteristics that are detectable.

I do know I've enjoyed it when I listened to it. but it has been explicitly in 2-channel systems.

I think the thing is, if you are happy with what you have, don't worry about it. ignorance is bliss. If you are willing to spend the money to get possible gain then go for it!
                                                                                      Long time away from the forum?

Comment

• slauten
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2011
                                                                                        • 105

#44
                                                                                        SSP-800 on order and due mid September. Will be one of the last Canada made units. Not sure if that is as good as I want it to be. Typically assembly workers whose jobs are ending are not too quality focused. However I think it will be ok. According to Classe orders placed by tomorrow will still be Canada made. After that there will be a lag in production until Chinas up and running. This info is based on my Classe dealer in Texas, so I don't know if that's correct or not. I am promised a Canada made SSP-800 and that was important to me. I get to use the SSP-600 until my unit arrives.

See Ya,,
                                                                                        Steve

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

#45
                                                                                          SSP-800 on order and due mid September. Will be one of the last Canada made units. Not sure if that is as good as I want it to be. Typically assembly workers whose jobs are ending are not too quality focused. However I think it will be ok. According to Classe orders placed by tomorrow will still be Canada made. After that there will be a lag in production until Chinas up and running. This info is based on my Classe dealer in Texas, so I don't know if that's correct or not. I am promised a Canada made SSP-800 and that was important to me. I get to use the SSP-600 until my unit arrives.

See Ya,,
                                                                                          Steve
                                                                                          That's too bad to learn that all Canadian manufacturing will cease for Classe in the near future. I was hoping it was a process that was down the road a bit further.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"