X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smigman
    • May 2011

Preamp for Classe CA 201

Just find this forum - very nice! does anybody have CA 201? what preamp are you using? anybody tried AR or CJ gear?
    I currently have CDP 10, CAP 101 with DIY transmission line speakers, nordost quatrofill interconects and nordost BH speaker wires.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Welcome. First off, the DR-X and CA-XXX series amps are all similar, so what applies to one applies to all. Most Classé amp owners seem to stick with the same brand of preamp. My guess is that you're using your CAP-101 as preamp ? The CP-47.5, CP-50, CP-60, CP-65, DR-5 and DR-6 would be a definite step up from the pre section of the CAP-101. Of course you're free to try other brands, including those you mentioned. What's your budget ?
    Last edited by Glen B; 11 May 2011, 13:04 Wednesday.

Comment

• smigman
      • May 2011

nice to find you!! yes, i am using 101 as preamp! was aiming at CP65 but those are pretty hard to find .... too good to sell? what about CP500 and lean sounding? difference between 60/ 500? My budget is app 1500 E - i live in Croatia / you can buy pretty good stuff for 1,5 - recession is still present .....
      Other brands - AR LS16mkII sounds really great - think they do not have that CJ tuby sound - goes well with classe amp and transmission line speakers.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

The primary differences between the CP-60 and CP-65 is, the latter has a greater number of balanced inputs and outputs and different cosmetics. I suspect you don't see that many CP-65s on the used market because there's just fewer of them to begin with. The model was around for about 3 years before being discontinued in favor of the CP-500. The other models were around almost twice as long. The CP-50 offers about 95% of the performance of the CP-60 at lower price. I've owned one for a number of years and can find nothing to complain about. A lot of CP-500 owners don't experience the leanness that has been reported. As always, careful system matching is important. You should try to audition that pre if seriously interested.

Comment

• smigman
          • May 2011

thanks for reply! i am drawn to tube preamp, but really want to try some old classe stuf and perhaps some new. how does 60/65 compare to 500 preamp? still laid back musical sounding or dry with greater resolution? i have seen that few peoples miss a little more bass - do not mind that, transmission line is simply great in low end, didnt hear such natural bass in many BR constructions ....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"