X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spykids777
    • Dec 2010

Difference between SSP and PreAmp?

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance but I am a little confused here. What is the difference between the SSP800 and a preamp like the CP700 or the hopefully coming sometime CP800? Does one need to buy both for their system esp if you use it for both Stereo Music and HT system? ANy advantage of one over the other?

Thanks for your help.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

A pre-amp is purely analogue - although today most audio is transferred in a digital format, requiring some processing to separate the channels, and a digital to analogue converter for passing a compatible signal along to the subsequent analogue amplifier stage(s).

Typically 2 channel pre-amps can't do HT, and even a very good quality HT pre/processor can at best sound mediocre with 2 channel. Therefore the holy grail is an HT processor that sounds great with 2 channel, effectively combining both jobs. Enter the SSP-800.

The CP800 is a bit different, it functions in a 2 channel world, but concentrates on stereo digital sources. There's no multichannel HT decoding, but still some processing for things like tone control and bass re-direction.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• spykids777
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mjb
      A pre-amp is purely analogue - although today most audio is transferred in a digital format, requiring some processing to separate the channels, and a digital to analogue converter for passing a compatible signal along to the subsequent analogue amplifier stage(s).

Typically 2 channel pre-amps can't do HT, and even a very good quality HT pre/processor can at best sound mediocre with 2 channel. Therefore the holy grail is an HT processor that sounds great with 2 channel, effectively combining both jobs. Enter the SSP-800.

The CP800 is a bit different, it functions in a 2 channel world, but concentrates on stereo digital sources. There's no multichannel HT decoding, but still some processing for things like tone control and bass re-direction.

So for somebody like me who wants to do both, the best would be SSP800 along with either a multichannel amp or monoblocks with multichannel amps for a 7.1 system?

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

Yes - however you could argue that a dual power amp configuration with one doing the front speakers and another doing the rest would allow you to only turn on the ones you need and thereby saving you a lot of idle power that is otherwise wasted.

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by spykids777
          So for somebody like me who wants to do both, the best would be SSP800 along with either a multichannel amp or monoblocks with multichannel amps for a 7.1 system?
          Yes! There are others, but an SSP-800 is currently a pretty good choice!

You could use a pair of mono's, or a stereo amp for the front pair, and a less powerful multi-channel amp for the rears, and surrounds. You can also configure the processor to shut down the amps you don't need in stereo, saving a bit off the electric bill.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aarsoe
            Yes - however you could argue that a dual power amp configuration with one doing the front speakers and another doing the rest would allow you to only turn on the ones you need and thereby saving you a lot of idle power that is otherwise wasted.
            Sorry aarsoe, I didn't see your post, and didn't mean to repeat it
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• spykids777
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mjb
              Yes! There are others, but an SSP-800 is currently a pretty good choice!

You could use a pair of mono's, or a stereo amp for the front pair, and a less powerful multi-channel amp for the rears, and surrounds. You can also configure the processor to shut down the amps you don't need in stereo, saving a bit off the electric bill.
              Thanks for your reply. Is the shutting down of surround channels during stereo playback something of an option in the SSP800 menu?

Also do I need to invest in XLR cables for connecting my SSP800 to CAM600 and CA5300. The runs are going to be about 4ft long only.

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Is the shutting down of surround channels during stereo playback something of an option in the SSP800 menu?
                Its easily accomplished with the 12v triggers and CANBUS commands in the SSP-800 configuration setup. A different configuration can be applied to different inputs or sound modes.
                Also do I need to invest in XLR cables for connecting my SSP800 to CAM600 and CA5300. The runs are going to be about 4ft long only.
                It's not necessary, but XLR interconnects will yield the best performance, and they need not be expensive either. A 'house' XLR patch cable from a music shop costs $5-10.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"