X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Classe CA-M600 review

FYI,

There is a glowing review of these monoblock amplifiers in the latest issue of The Absolute Sound (Issue #210, February 2011).

I had already ordered 3 of them before I found this out. I am hoping they will arrive at the dealer early next week and then I will do the 5 1/2 hour drive to pick them up and to exchange my CA-M400s. I will report on them eventually.

Jim

P.S. Also a review of the B&W 805 diamond speakers in the same issue may be of some interest.
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by Oddiophile
    FYI,

There is a glowing review of these monoblock amplifiers in the latest issue of The Absolute Sound (Issue #210, February 2011).

P.S. Also a review of the B&W 805 diamond speakers in the same issue may be of some interest.
    If any one has the pdf file for both articles :T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Oddiophile
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by wettou
      That article just came out so I doubt if it will be readily available online for some time.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

That article just came out so I doubt if it will be readily available online for some time.

Jim
        Unless someone buys them and is willing to share
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Srrndhound
          • Sep 2008

Both are easily available right here. :T :T

Comment

• Oddiophile
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Srrndhound
            Both are easily available right here. :T :T
            I think Wettou meant for free LOL.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

I think Wettou meant for free LOL. Jim
              Yes Free

Otherwise I will just go to the book store and sit in one of those comfortable chair and read it while sipping my tea!

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Let's refrain from the "free copies" talk shall we? Copyright infringement talk could get the forum in trouble...

Thanks.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                  • Sep 2008

Yes Free

Otherwise I will just go to the book store and sit in one of those comfortable chair and read it while sipping my tea!
                  Do they perhaps offer free tea?

Comment

• Oddiophile
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Kevin P
                    Let's refrain from the "free copies" talk shall we? Copyright infringement talk could get the forum in trouble...

Thanks.

As a retired librarian, I can certainly support what Kevin says. Besides, the cost of a digital issue of TAS isn't that much more than a good cup of tea these days.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P

Thanks.
                      Ok my apologies, no worries I guess I will just borough the print version from my friend

Classé will have it on their site in a few months!!

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

Does anyone know if the digital subscription works directly with an iPad? Or is it downloadable PDF files?

Comment

• Aquarius
                          • Oct 2008

FYI,

Here's both of them...

Last edited by Aquarius; 10 January 2011, 15:16 Monday.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                            • Jul 2008

FYI,

Apparently John Atkinson of Stereophile is doing a review of the CA-M600. It is to be published in the March issue and is reputed to be a "rave" review.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Aquarius
                              THANK YOU THAT IS GREAT YOU RULE :T

Any review on the 800 Diamonds

Comment

• Aquarius
                                • Oct 2008

THANK YOU THAT IS GREAT YOU RULE :T

Any review on the 800 Diamonds
                                Thanks.

So far I know for two of them. First on http://hometheaterreview.com/bowers-...aker-reviewed/

And second on German www.audio.de earlier mentioned.

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Classé New Delta Series Amplifiers Honored with “Best of” Award at CES

Last edited by wettou; 11 January 2011, 12:38 Tuesday. Reason: Classé New Delta Series Amplifiers Honored with “Best of” Award at CES Read more: http://www.hemagazine.com/node/22364#ixzz1AkHrHxeR

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                    • Jul 2008

FYI,

I just got back from an 11 hour round trip through awful cold and snowy weather to pick up my 3 CA-M600 amps. I hope they are worth it. Note that I bought these before I read any reviews on them.

They are now hooked up (driving a pair of 800Ds and an HTM1D). The first thing you notice is that the fan comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. I think that somewhere I read that this is to blow the dust out but I could well be wrong.

Sound wise, I have not done any extended listening at all. However, out of the box the CA-M600s definitely appear to have more "growl" than the (fabulous) CA-M400s. I will report back later, probably in about 2 weeks when they should be broken in.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

FYI, I just got back from an 11 hour round trip through awful cold and snowy weather to pick up my 3 CA-M600 amps. I hope they are worth it. Note that I bought these before I read any reviews on them. They are now hooked up (driving a pair of 800Ds and an HTM1D). The first thing you notice is that the fan comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. I think that somewhere I read that this is to blow the dust out but I could well be wrong. Sound wise, I have not done any extended listening at all. However, out of the box the CA-M600s definitely appear to have more "growl" than the (fabulous) CA-M400s. I will report back later, probably in about 2 weeks when they should be broken in. Jim
                                      Whoa three of these babies cool, let us know they stole the show at CES :B

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                        • Jul 2008

In a month or two I will be getting a 2300 to replace the 2200 that is driving a pair of 802Ds on the side channels. I probably would have got one of these but I could barely get the 3 CA-M600s in the car :P

I doubt if I will bother replacing the 2200 that powers the 805SS that I use for the rears in a 7.2 system. That should be plenty of power for them.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

In a month or two I will be getting a 2300 to replace the 2200 that is driving a pair of 802Ds on the side channels. I probably would have got one of these but I could barely get the 3 CA-M600s in the car :P

I doubt if I will bother replacing the 2200 that powers the 805SS that I use for the rears in a 7.2 system. That should be plenty of power for them.

Jim
                                          Yes the 805S will be fine :W

Comment

• mjb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

B&W recommend a 50-120watt amp for the 805's.
                                            - Mike

Main System:
                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                              • Jul 2008

Initial comments after 24 hours on CA-M600s:

Amazing power and control in the bass. Soundstage is definitely higher and a bit wider than the CA-M400s. Imaging is better. Soundstage has also moved a bit further back behind the speakers compared to the CA-M400s. I rather like this as I thought that the 400s were a bit too forward.

FWIW, when I calibrated them I only had to cut the levels by .5 dB across the board.

I wish that there were more air and transparency about them but given my experience with the CA-M400s, I am sure that this will happen during the break-in period. They are still wonderful as is. Apparently they require about 300 hours or about 2 weeks of constant use. Incidentally, if you use canbus as I do, it will keep track of the hours of usage for you.

They really do make an immediate impression out of the box.

In summary, to paraphrase Gollum form The Lord of the Rings:

"We likes em!"

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

how do you figure they stole the show?
                                                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

the new Ca/Ct 2300 is amazing.

the 5300 is dont in my mind: a multichannel ampli will be no more in my target.....

3 x cx2300 vs. a single Cx5300??? no competition!!!

I go receive my new 2300 in the next day: drive the L&R: is the best solution today available.

(of course for Classé fans)

The CA3200 I keep to drive the enter and the ear.
                                                  mike,yes that's right the 805S will be controlled with a Classé x100 without problems but I have s 200 Classé watt for this speakers and I have too a setup with a trim with trim for rar +2db!!!!(of the 805s!!!)

here a extra woofer will be agreed....--> 804DI in program...

but I say too I can go with a 802DI an replace the 803DI (I muss speak with my friend from Classé for a change....I love the BEST B&W speaker: the 802DI.

If I have the 802DI the mono CAM300 ICT tech. ampli are very apprecied more as the CAM400! they have a very faster sound vs, the CAM400 (the 2300 is the same: Ict tech have a sound very different vs. the "old" serie..)

the CAM600, in a dedicat room, acoutisct treatment, ca. 45 m2 (Minumun!) but really better a big room to have the best from a B&W800DI with the CAM600 I say yes I agree but in a room around 35-40m2 the 802DI give you more satisfaction vs. the 800DI and the CAM600... = a lot of money saved and a better sound

style
                                                  Last edited by style; 14 January 2011, 18:54 Friday.

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Initial comments after 24 hours on CA-M600s: I wish that there were more air and transparency about them but given my experience with the CA-M400s, I am sure that this will happen during the break-in period. They are still wonderful as is. Apparently they require about 300 hours or about 2 weeks of constant use. Incidentally, if you use canbus as I do, it will keep track of the hours of usage for you.

In summary, to paraphrase Gollum form The Lord of the Rings:

"We likes em!" Jim
                                                    "My precious" what do you mean "more air and transparency"

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                      • Jul 2008

"My precious" what do you mean "more air and transparency"
                                                      You would ask me that.

"Air" probably the more important of the two. It is all very subjective but the highs don't seem to have quite the openness that I would like. The same thing happened when I broke in my CA-M400s. They became more open as they were broken in.

Jim

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                                                        • Dec 2009

I'm pretty sure you'll experience the same with the 600's! I'm a little different with new amps or preamps. When I get them home initially I turn them on and I leave them on and run signal (music) through them constantly while trying to sit down and listen when time allows.Takes me about a week to hear the changes in the soundstage and highs opening up. Always nice to hear a change in the right direction.

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

It will be read your impression after 300 hours or 12.5 days playing 24/7

Comment

• hardy
                                                            • May 2010

Today my dealer sent me an email, that tomorrow the first pair of CA-M600 will receive in Germany, an maybe with much luck I can pick them up on Saturday. I will let you know my experience.

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by hardy
                                                              Today my dealer sent me an email, that tomorrow the first pair of CA-M600 will receive in Germany, an maybe with much luck I can pick them up on Saturday. I will let you know my experience.
                                                              Nice what are you driving speaker wise 8O

Comment

• style
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Feb 2006

sorry hardy,

you are in Germany? or Nederland?

the new CAm600 are really just arrived in Europa: maybe the CT M600 are available a paar week before the CA serie..but is only a personal taste..inside is the same product.

a couple of cam300 in bi-amp can be a good alternative at the cam600 to drive the 800di or (too!) 802di??

style

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by style
                                                                  sorry hardy, a couple of cam300 in bi-amp can be a good alternative at the cam600 to drive the 800di or (too!) 802di?? style
                                                                  According to Classé and B&W better to do CA-M600 straight:T

now if you have the funds bi-amp with two CA-M600 :W

Comment

• style
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2006

2 x 600 watt in bi amp ??? 8O 8O

what for speaker and room do you "dream"??? :E :E :E

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by style
                                                                      2 x 600 watt in bi amp ??? 8O 8O what for speaker and room do you "dream"??? :E :E :E
                                                                      No I don't the room size is 6000 cubic feet and speakers are 800 Diamonds

Comment

• hardy
                                                                        • May 2010

@style

I am from Germany.

@wettou

my current setup is:

SSP-800
                                                                        CA-5300 Center: Htm2Di pianoblack, Surround: 2 SCMS, Surround Back: 2 SCMS
                                                                        4 CA-M600 Front: 800Di pianoblack bi-amping :B
                                                                        Sub: DB1 pianoblack :B

Hardy

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Originally posted by hardy
                                                                          my current setup is:

SSP-800
                                                                          CA-5300 Center: Htm2Di pianoblack, Surround: 2 SCMS, Surround Back: 2 SCMS
                                                                          4 CA-M600 Front: 800Di pianoblack bi-amping :B
                                                                          Sub: DB1 pianoblack :B

Hardy
                                                                          Very sweet, this must rock pictures please :B

Comment

• style
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                            • 1562

hallo hardy,

always more "europa" in htguide! :W :W

the Classe CAm600 are not for long time available in Switzerland (B&W Switzerland): I have the Ca2300 just received, B&W say my that the CT serie was available without problem but the CA new serie need more time to be in the stores...
                                                                            the second coming from Canada (Classe) is arrive around at the 15-20 January in Europa and the most product is sold before he coming!
                                                                            Sorry what do you mind from the piano black from B&W? for you is a good quality?
                                                                            the other brand with the "color" in catalogue have a better product! B&W have not a very fine piano black vs. the others speakers...../ from what I have see and listen from my friend that work at B&W/Classé Switzerland...

what do use as quelle?
                                                                            -------
                                                                            wettou: you have upgrade to the 800di and the CAm600 or no?

grüssen Style

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2008
                                                                              • 173

#39
                                                                              There is another review of the CA-M600 in the latest print issue of Stereophile. John Atkinson, the editor, reviews it and gives it a major thumbs-up.

Jim

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 1483

#40
                                                                                John Atkinson, the editor, reviews it and gives it a major thumbs-up.
                                                                                Why am I not surprised? Have Classé ever brought a product to market that got bad reviews?
                                                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 1562

#41
                                                                                  Hi Mike,

sorry, Classe at side, you have read a bad reviews from the other company?

each reviews say .." very great product, work fine, ... with my surprise,..."

where made this test if x or y brand is payed and if go have a (in this case) a CAM600 at home gratis for a paar week, how can say is a shi*** product .. :W

style
                                                                                  Last edited by style; 18 February 2011, 14:02 Friday.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 3389

#42
                                                                                    There is another review of the CA-M600 in the latest print issue of Stereophile. John Atkinson, the editor, reviews it and gives it a major thumbs-up.

Jim
                                                                                    Does any one has the pdf? Or when does it go on the web site?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 3389

#43
                                                                                      Here you are enjoy

www.classeaudio.com/reviews/reviews.../Stereophile_CAM600_Feb2011.pdf

All the reviews are posted here

Comment

• style
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 1562

#44
                                                                                        well a CT serie like more vs. the Delta ops:

but if is free is the same :P :B

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2008
                                                                                          • 173

#45
                                                                                          Yet another review of the CA-M600 in Secrets of "Home Theater and High Fidelity"

The link is:

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"