X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdonda
    • Nov 2010

Tube preamp

Wanted to know if anyone here has tried a tupe preamp with a classe amp. If so, how would you describe the sound?
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

I have tried a CA200 with a Prima Luna prologue three, speakers Martin Logan Aeon I.

The best way I would describe the sound is non fatiguing. You get the sweet tube sound and the SS power.
    Greg

Comment

• mdonda
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by GregLett
      I have tried a CA200 with a Prima Luna prologue three, speakers Martin Logan Aeon I.

The best way I would describe the sound is non fatiguing. You get the sweet tube sound and the SS power.
      Would you say the sound became more emotionally involving? I love the openess, dynamics, and clarity of the classe, but find the detail a bit too analitical and that it takes away from musical enjoyment.

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

That's exactly correct. some of the most enjoyable systems I have heard were
        All tube systems. The bottom line is to be able to enjoy listening to your
        System for extended periods.
        Greg

Comment

• mdonda
          • Nov 2010

I wouldn't call the classe amp I own currently, CA-3200, to be fatiguing at all, but it doesn't give me the emotional involvment I have experienced when listening to a McIntosh SS amp for example, which sounds a bit more tube like. Unfortunately, the Mac amp just couldn't give me the dynamics I wanted. I've learned now that it's all about enjoyment and being able to lose yourself in the music.

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

True, it's all about the enjoyment. I would suggest you audition a tube pre amp in your system. I have tried the Prima Luna and Cary audio SLP 98. There is also BAT and MAC.
            To hear one in your system is the only way to be sure.
            Greg

Comment

• mdonda
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by GregLett
              True, it's all about the enjoyment. I would suggest you audition a tube pre amp in your system. I have tried the Prima Luna and Cary audio SLP 98. There is also BAT and MAC.
              To hear one in your system is the only way to be sure.
              What made you choose the Prima Luna over the Cary?

Comment

• doc47
                • Dec 2010

I use a BAT tube preamp with the new Classe CA 2300 and Nautilus 802s in a 2 channel system. I find the sound detailed but non fatiguing. The CA 2300 replaced a BAT VK 500 and has resulted in improved dynamics in my system and a lower noise floor. I primarily listen to acoustis Jazz on vinyl, CD and tape.

Comment

• FALCODEAN
                  • May 2009

Tube Preamp

I am at times using a Unison Research Mystery II as Preamp for 2xCAM 400 on 800d speakers in a 2 channel system. The sound gains in warmth and I have the impression that the soundstage gets wider and deeper compared to the CP-700 I routinely use - so you could say it is more engaging.
                  I find both preamps not fatiguing though and the noise level is definetely lower with the CP-700, also it is somewhat more detailed (would not call it analytical as that almost has a negative connotation).
                  On Jazz music namely with female singers (Patricia Barber, Melody Gardot etc....) the Mystery really does a great job.
                  Falcodean

Comment

• Sasha99
                    • Dec 2010

Tube preamp with CA 2200

Good day guys
                    I am in the middle of the same problem. Everybody is saying that tube preamp is emotionaly involving and it does work better with SS amp.
                    I tried 3 so far, SpaceTech Labls, and Bob Carver C19 and Sunfire.
                    What to say? It did not work for me. I can see why some people might like tubes, especialy on female voices, or jazz, rock, which is not as precise by its nature as it is classical music. My bigest objection on tube busineess is a lack of clarity and lack ob bass coherence. Bass is somewhat mudled and does not have a precision of solid state. I am listening CAP 151 for years, hours at the time, and I never had listening fatigue.
                    Also, to me, tube ads that coloring to the sound that removes natural timbre of the instrument.
                    Again, we do not know why is something sounding good for someone and not in the case of the other. I could never figure out why do I like whyte wine and not red.....
                    So , for me , it is a solid state. If you have CP 700 laying arround and you are ready to change-sell, let me know please.

Sasha

Comment

• mdonda
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sasha99
                      Good day guys
                      I am in the middle of the same problem. Everybody is saying that tube preamp is emotionaly involving and it does work better with SS amp.
                      I tried 3 so far, SpaceTech Labls, and Bob Carver C19 and Sunfire.
                      What to say? It did not work for me. I can see why some people might like tubes, especialy on female voices, or jazz, rock, which is not as precise by its nature as it is classical music. My bigest objection on tube busineess is a lack of clarity and lack ob bass coherence. Bass is somewhat mudled and does not have a precision of solid state. I am listening CAP 151 for years, hours at the time, and I never had listening fatigue.
                      Also, to me, tube ads that coloring to the sound that removes natural timbre of the instrument.
                      Again, we do not know why is something sounding good for someone and not in the case of the other. I could never figure out why do I like whyte wine and not red.....
                      So , for me , it is a solid state. If you have CP 700 laying arround and you are ready to change-sell, let me know please.

Sasha

I've come to realize that the classe amp has a very smooth sound which one may compare to tubes. I also auditioned mcintosh and although the sound is very smooth and tubelike, the sound is definately colored...male voices sound a bit more like female voices if that makes any sense. I've heard great things about the audio research tube gear...especially the reference tube preamps.

Comment

• Sasha99
                        • Dec 2010

It does make a lot of sense what are you saying. Whatever I was listening through the tubes sounded very different. I am not sure if it is better.
                        Some new tube preamps are built to the different taste of being very precise and koherent to get close to the solid state....but why bother with tubes then?
                        I find the built quality way bellow of Classe products, 2 of 3 did not have a remote control, only one had balanced out but not balanced in.
                        Back to the sound, it is just - well - coloured, almost like adding a ketchup on every meal, to the point where almost anything you eat has a same or similar taste.
                        As wright this, I am listening Stevie Wonder's - Superstition, again mid's and high's are prety good but the base line, which is esentially "runining the show" in that particular song is just not there. (through Sunfire preamp).

Originally posted by mdonda
                        I've come to realize that the classe amp has a very smooth sound which one may compare to tubes. I also auditioned mcintosh and although the sound is very smooth and tubelike, the sound is definately colored...male voices sound a bit more like female voices if that makes any sense. I've heard great things about the audio research tube gear...especially the reference tube preamps.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"