X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

SSP-800 Stereo vs. HT Sound

I have been listening to my SSP-800 system again for the past 3+ weeks after not hearing it since July. The system really sounds great, and in a room that is large with 24' ceilings which produces a lively yet controlled sound with tight bass output.

I mostly listen to stereo, but I do like to watch blu-ray movies on this system as they sound so great through the SSP-800, even though I still don't have the dual board upgrade and I'm only able to get Dolby HD through the player.

I have noticed it before, but it struck me that the sound produced in HT through the SSP-800 is truly amazing, and the sound produced in stereo is very good, but not equally as good as it is in HT. I was puzzled, so I decided to unpack my CP-500 pre-amp and listen to both back-to-back in stereo.

Subjectively, the stereo sound produced through both of them are very good. The SSP-800 is clearer and it exposes more subtleties in some instruments, but the CP-500 is more pleasing, less fatiguing and possibly more "musical" for some reason? Newer CDs that are recorded (I'll call them produced with the gain maxed out) are more in your face through the SSP-800, but are easier to listen to through the CP-500.

Is the SSP-800 a much better surround sound processor than it is a stereo pre-amp? I guess it comes down to the fact that it appears to be underutilized when the source is a CD or an iPod, but that's what I primarily use as a source with this system. Or, is the CP-500 a better choice overall as a dedicated pre-amp, or nearly as good as the SSP-800, when the source material is (new & older recordings) CDs, LPs or an iPod?

I was planning to use my CP-500 in my stereo system that I've been putting together around the 804Di(s) in our other house. Then I got the idea of selling the CP-500 to buy a CP-800, but, maybe that would be a mistake given what I think I'm hearing?

I'd also be interested if anyone has recently done a back-to-back comparison between the SSP-800 and the CP-700, now that they are more used to listening to the SSP-800 and the excitement of a new toy has perhaps faded.
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Beden am not suprised at all. I mentioned a fair while back auditioning with my cousin, he preferred the cp700 with classe cd player vs the ssp800 as 2ch pre amp. Like you said it's not like the ssp800 is not good it is. But there is more to be had with the 700 pre amp for 2ch duties.

Something didn't surprise me at the time either as always found benefit on the 2Ch side with using dedicated 2ch gear in that role.
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• londoner
      • Apr 2009

Interesting comparison. I'm considering the SSP-800 for combined stereo and HT and will be listening to it next weekend at my dealer.

For your stereo listening do you use the SSP-800 in bypass mode as an analogue pre-amp, or are you passing it a digital signal and using its DACs as you would for HT?

If you have tried both of those approaches, how do you find that they compare?

Next Saturday, I'm planning on listening to the SSP-800 with a digital input from a variety of CDs and blu-rays, including listening to two-channel and surround mixes on an opera blu-ray, which will be interesting.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

The different pre's will have slightly different signatures, but which is 'better' is a mater of taste. I need one box to satisfy both my HT and 2ch needs, thats why the SSP-800 is my choice, the SSP-800's 2 ch performance still blows most competition away. If your focus is 2 ch only, perhaps a CP-700/800 would be more interesting, otherwise, as an all rounder, I believe the SSP-800 is unbeatable.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hallo,

....he preferred the cp700 with classe cd player vs the ssp800 as 2ch pre amp.....
          is a personal taste!!!

like "quoted" is a very personal opinion. I agree with mjb.

A CP800 can bring a "new sensation" and be really better at the SSP800 but vs. the CP700 I dont sure change the SSp for a CP700...... For my personal taste the SSP800 is very amazing: without a autocalibration, with the "software bug".. the Clasé IS THE pre-amp from today and tomorrow. :T

Style

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by londoner
            Interesting comparison. I'm considering the SSP-800 for combined stereo and HT and will be listening to it next weekend at my dealer.

For your stereo listening do you use the SSP-800 in bypass mode as an analogue pre-amp, or are you passing it a digital signal and using its DACs as you would for HT?

If you have tried both of those approaches, how do you find that they compare?

Next Saturday, I'm planning on listening to the SSP-800 with a digital input from a variety of CDs and blu-rays, including listening to two-channel and surround mixes on an opera blu-ray, which will be interesting.
            I have regularly tried both using my Sony XA-9000ES CD player as the source. On this system, I always prefer SACD analog over anything else, followed by traditional original studio recordings on redbook CDs. From a pure musical standpoint, I find it to be smoother and more believable (as well as enjoyable). But, my room is very large, and while the 803Ds produce decent bass, the sound is fuller at lower volumes when I use the digital signal and incorporate my dual sub woofers.

Don't get me wrong, the SSP-800 is a very good pre-amp, but maybe sometimes it is too good and too clear (unforgiving), particularly when trying to stomach the new music that is mixed purely to get played back through digital devices like an iPod? These recordings are too bright and in your face, IMO, and I can't stand to listen to them for more than a brief moment.

I brought with me a selection of CDs that I had been listening to with enjoyment on the stereo system I recently started putting together in another house. They sounded great, and with much less listening fatigue on that system. While playing them through my SSP-800 system, I found myself hating what was coming out as it was too in your face. That is what got me wanting to hook up my CP-500 to see if that made any difference, and it actually did. It is also why I'm trying to figure out what's happening, and thus the reason for my initial posting.

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Well, if you're trying to imply that the SSP-800 is not intended for, or is un-pleasurable listening with 2 channel sources you're being nothing less than provocative. I personally find with the same equipment, some days it may sound so so and others totally fantastic. There is no need to over analyse this phenomena.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                Well, if you're trying to imply that the SSP-800 is not intended for, or is un-pleasurable listening with 2 channel sources you're being nothing less than provocative. I personally find with the same equipment, some days it may sound so so and others totally fantastic. There is no need to over analyse this phenomena.
                I find your statements inane. What is this forum for if not to ask questions and to have discussions?

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                  I find your statements inane.
                  Plural? :T
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

beden,

the SSP is a great preampli for HT AND stereo system. This is sure OR?

as well the cp500 not is at the same tecnologie inside like the SSP BUT this is not a reason to say the dont have a good sound.
                    Now in our system with the 803D the cp500 vs. the SSP have sure a sound "new" ....as you wrote it's been a long time without the sound of the SSP800 in your ear and I understand this and are not "contra" the CP500!

is another sound, more analog vs. the "pure digital street" of the SSP....and the CP500 with a cd/Sacd, a lp vinyls give you a good sensation....
                    CP800: this new pre in the Clasé family is sure a good, a very "wind of change" in the system from everyone and for me is a investment without doubt, ne regret. the CP800 will sound very good more like a cp500 = a stereo preampli family and will give you very plasure and satisfaction.

I have the SSP800 but if I have the possibilty the place a CP800 at the side from the Great SSP800 I will consider this not a "double unit" but a very upgrade from my system. :T

Style

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

For two channel I bypass the preamp all together :B

SACD player -> TC Electronic volume nob -> Classé CA-2100 -> speakers :T
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by style
                        beden,

the SSP is a great preampli for HT AND stereo system. This is sure OR?

as well the cp500 not is at the same tecnologie inside like the SSP BUT this is not a reason to say the dont have a good sound.
                        Now in our system with the 803D the cp500 vs. the SSP have sure a sound "new" ....as you wrote it's been a long time without the sound of the SSP800 in your ear and I understand this and are not "contra" the CP500!

is another sound, more analog vs. the "pure digital street" of the SSP....and the CP500 with a cd/Sacd, a lp vinyls give you a good sensation....
                        CP800: this new pre in the Clasé family is sure a good, a very "wind of change" in the system from everyone and for me is a investment without doubt, ne regret. the CP800 will sound very good more like a cp500 = a stereo preampli family and will give you very plasure and satisfaction.

I have the SSP800 but if I have the possibilty the place a CP800 at the side from the Great SSP800 I will consider this not a "double unit" but a very upgrade from my system. :T

Style
                        absolutely nothign wrong with acheiving the best of both worlds in this fashion style, something have been doing for last 6 years in my very own system. why compromise and enjoy both formats of sound regardless
                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                          • Dec 2009

I think what you're hearing is that the SSP-800 has more detail and doesn't filter the high end as much as you like it personally to do on 2 channel when listening to "maxxed out" digital sources? I switched from an Audio Research LS25MK2. I think the LS25 is a better sounding than your CP-500.The Audio Research had smoother mids (6h30 tube) but I gained solid deeper bass and extended highs overall with the SSP-800. Soundstaging stayed the same for both units both producing a wide and deep canvas. I had about 500 hours on the SSP-800.I would say that this unit has made me forget about my LS25MK2 I want a pre-pro that reveals what's on the recording.Not take away from it. If it's a disc using gain riding by the engineer then that's how they wanted it done.I have a few of those in my collection also.

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Sharp 1080
                            I think what you're hearing is that the SSP-800 has more detail and doesn't filter the high end as much as you like it personally to do on 2 channel when listening to "maxxed out" digital sources? I switched from an Audio Research LS25MK2. I think the LS25 is a better sounding than your CP-500.The Audio Research had smoother mids (6h30 tube) but I gained solid deeper bass and extended highs overall with the SSP-800. Soundstaging stayed the same for both units both producing a wide and deep canvas. I had about 500 hours on the SSP-800.I would say that this unit has made me forget about my LS25MK2 I want a pre-pro that reveals what's on the recording.Not take away from it. If it's a disc using gain riding by the engineer then that's how they wanted it done.I have a few of those in my collection also.
                            Yes, I think that's it, but, the SSP-800 is either not filtering the high end as much, or, it is accentuating the highs? I am thinking that the latter may be closer to the truth, although I was seeking the opinions of others to determine if there is any semblance of truth to this perception.

There is no doubt that the sound that comes through the SSP-800 is spectacular for HT, but for stereo, it also seems to be a different sound than what may have been considered more the norm for stereo pre-amps...in that a quality pre-amp's job is to quietly enable the switching of sources along with volume control, and to stay out of the way of the music. But, we all know that most pre-amps by design, did/do add some measure of coloration, referred to as a house sound.

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

There is no doubt that the sound that comes through the SSP-800 is spectacular for HT, but for stereo, it also seems to be a different sound than what may have been considered more the norm for stereo pre-amps...in that a quality pre-amp's job is to quietly enable the switching of sources along with volume control, and to stay out of the way of the music. But, we all know that most pre-amps by design, did/do add some measure of coloration, referred to as a house sound.
                              Brooks is true....but the question is What I will from my system have??"

like wrote the SSP in HT is amazing, in stereo another preampli (is the same is is the AResearch, CPx00, Mcintosh,..) gie sure another sound. the construction inside a HT "gear" vs. a stereo 2 channel pre is very differente. (and in not with a "simply by-pass" that you go have the same sound..)

If I have the possibilty to have a CP800 to place at the side of the SSP800 I will be very happy. Are 2 differente products each with a specific "target/purpose"!

is true too that a amplifier stereo have a sound for the 2 channel. is not a 5x
                              and is the same if now the most cosntructor write "very great in 2 channel / stereo ...indicated for use in 2-channel stereo / results surprising place!!!
                              is not the same.
                              a pre stereo with a ampli stereo give you a very good sound and like you have "listen in your system 804DI" is not necessary the B&W800 to have a plesure from its 2-channel system. :W
                              omar

Comment

• pinas
                                • Dec 2010

Hi-fi setup with SSP-800

I am planning to build a hi-fi Classe components comprising of CDP-102, CP-700 and CA-M300 with B&W 802D speaker and a DB1 sub. Can I make the CDP-102 and CP-700 handle the stereo audio and the SSP-800 handles the video utilizing the same speakers and amplifier?

Comment

• 7ryder
                                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pinas
                                  I am planning to build a hi-fi Classe components comprising of CDP-102, CP-700 and CA-M300 with B&W 802D speaker and a DB1 sub. Can I make the CDP-102 and CP-700 handle the stereo audio and the SSP-800 handles the video utilizing the same speakers and amplifier?
                                  Yes, the CP-700 can have an input set up for this. Renaming any input "SSP" sets this input up as a unity gain input or, in other words, this input operates in HT bypass mode and the SSP-800's volume control would then take over when this input is selected when watching video. For other sources, you'd use the CP-700.

See page 28 of the user's manual which is available on the Classe Audio website.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"