20.83%
    Not happy.
    8.33%
    Considering returning / selling it.
    0.00%
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

You'll need to establish some parameters for a rating system if this is going to have any meaning, trending, consensus and so on...

EDIT: A poll would do it too. Sorry I got ahead of your initital post.

Curious, what do you intend to do with the information once you have it?

I picked I am happy. There are a couple of issues that stand in the way of over the moon. One is the touch screen issues that I have had and still have and the other is HDMI audio output to the TV. I have the LED dimming issue too but it doesn't bother me. As for the other bugs, I do not regularly encounter them with my system and setup.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

Trying to figure out if I can substantiate the big investment...

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Have you had a chance to audition one in your area?

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

I'm scared to as more than likely I will flip out the credit card (pray) and walk out with it...

So want to get as an objective view as possible before hand.

No doubt Classe is great kit and a good friend has a 2 x cam400's, CD and preamp (I forget which versions), and its just awesome, running into 802D's.

I have a Rotel gear at mom and the RSP-1068 is playing up a bit , but I have been very happpy with it so far... They also have a new pre-pro due in March I think (indicated pricing at ~$4000). So I have been happy with the setup with an RB1092 into 803D's, HTMD2 (using 2 channels) and 2 SCMS's are fed by RMB1075.

Thing is I have no need for HDMI (yet), my whole house is wired with Component and I only have 1 HDMI source in the cinema room where the SSP800 would reside. So it will be a dedicted cinema / music pre/pro.

Thing is in this time and age (and economy) who can justify that amount of cash on a pre/pro!?

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Understood. It's a big investment but one that should reward you with many years of enjoyment. If you consider the competition at this level (I'm sure you have) the large investment isn't going to change, and in many cases it will be much higher or there won't be an option at all as in the case of some popular brands. FWIW, I would sell (down grade, down size you name it) my entire system of sources, amplification and speakers before I sold the SSP-800. I do not foresee anytime in the future when or if I would ever need to give it up either, not so with the other equipment and they are all problem free. I encourage you to take a test drive and listen for yourself. As a former Rotel equipment owner, I think you will be blow away by the improvements to sound that you'll hear.

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

@Stevebez,
              I had a Rotel Rsp1068 (well is at my home allready today ), with at first like you the 1075 and 1092 for the L&R.
              than 1075 sold and replace with 2 x RB1091 (L&R) and a 2° 1092.
              all D tech , total 6x 500 watt with 703, htm7, cdn7nt..
              than 803D and htm4s up to...803D and Htm2D and 805s....(sub 750B&W but I dont find so important for me a sub...well a B&W 750/825...maybe a Velo DD12/14/18???, jl112-113 in europa is a very adventur.. a Sunrise? a paradigm or a kef top of line ? maybe...but to much maybe...or if,...nevermind: a 5.0/1 system
              was the target...

A expensive Classe (and I have tried to MC MC205-207 -> NO THANK)
              but the 500watt Rotel are bothing vs. the 200 watt Classé!!! is sure not waste money.
              and a preamplifier is important like the amplifier , ..more imporant:
              first purchasig a SSP800 & CA5200 : I found the CA5200 to big, hot, dimension not for a future bi.amp (with great sound) =sold the CA5200: only the CA5200 not request: and I sold the combo SSP800(with HD upgrade) and CA5200 --> in little time the combo was no more in my home.
              sure is money but if you are a HighEnd top fan PAY, PAY without any doubt...
              the ssp800 can you compare to a Meridian 861 ..but Meridian with the extra "box" for hdmi is a lot more expesnive vs. the SSP800:
              I'm very happy and fully sadisfait with the SSP880...You have sure read a lot of opinion but make 1 (one) test and the SSP dont go no more out from your home!!!!

price/perfomance from the Classe dont have any other unit at the same level..
              Style
              Last edited by style; 06 November 2010, 05:41 Saturday.

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Stevebez
                I have a Rotel gear at mom and the RSP-1068 is playing up a bit , but I have been very happpy with it so far... They also have a new pre-pro due in March I think (indicated pricing at ~$4000). So I have been happy with the setup with an RB1092 into 803D's, HTMD2 (using 2 channels) and 2 SCMS's are fed by RMB1075.
                Steve, this is about where I was. I wanted HDMI, so I traded up to a RSP1570 and was never really happy with it. I wasn't too sure I liked the RB1092's either to be honest. I bought the SSP-800 first, and it was a major upgrade in terms of sound quality and enjoyment. Several months later, I replaced the amp's with Classé, and it added the perfect synergy and warmth I was after. My experience is simply that Rotel is very, very good, but Classé is better. Paired with B&W (800 series) speakers it's a match made in heaven.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Make sure you understand what you are getting into. More important than the reviews and comments on boards, make sure you audition in your system:T
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                    • Dec 2002

I'm very happy exept one thing.

HDMI issues . . . . Handshake errors. Disapering OSD (after hard reset back).

But the rest: FANTASTIC!
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"