What is Classe's Delta Amps. output at < 4 Ohms?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

What is Classe's Delta Amps. output at < 4 Ohms?

Hi
    Is there any particular reason why Classe would not publish their amps. output at lower impedance values ( < 4 ohm). in other words, is it reasonable to assume that the CAM 400's output is 1600watts at 2 ohms ? if not than how much is it rated at 2 ohms ?
    And above all, is doubling the output all the way down ( to .5 Ohms) so much important from sound reproduction stand point ?
    Thanks
    :T Socrat
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by Eliav
    Hi
    Is there any particular reason why Classe would not publish their amps. output at lower impedance values ( < 4 ohm). in other words, is it reasonable to assume that the CAM 400's output is 1600watts at 2 ohms ? if not than how much is it rated at 2 ohms ?
    And above all, is doubling the output all the way down ( to .5 Ohms) so much important from sound reproduction stand point ?
    Thanks
    From their literature

CAM 400
    - 400W at 8 ohm
    - 800W at 4 ohm
    Nothing at 2 ohm or 0.5 ohm
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wettou
      From their literature

CAM 400
      - 400W at 8 ohm
      - 800W at 4 ohm
      Nothing at 2 ohm or 0.5 ohm
      That is exactly what I am asking about, why is the lack of information on the lower impedance ? is it not important, (may be not as impressive ?)

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Generally loads much below 4 ohms is not that common with speakers and if the amplifier is not able to double down each halving of impedance then there usually isn't much for the manufature to brag about beyond 4 ohms. Classe' doesn't state the dynamic headroom either but it is an equally important specification to consider. As for the CA-M400, they are stable down to 2 ohms and deliver about 1200 wpc. Dynamic headroom is about 1.3 dB as far as I know.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

Thanks RebelMan, this is pretty much what I thought, yet I could not find any technical reference published by Classe. I assume doubling the amp.output down to 2 Ohms applies to the new CAM 300 and 600.
          Thanks

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
            Thanks RebelMan, this is pretty much what I thought, yet I could not find any technical reference published by Classe. I assume doubling the amp.output down to 2 Ohms applies to the new CAM 300 and 600.
            Thanks
            Like the CA-M400, the CA-M300 and CA-M600 will double down to 4 ohms only. I wouldn't put to much importance beyond this. It's unlikely you would ever drive the 800D that hard. I tested mine to 107dB SPL (@4m - ears protected) with the CA-M400's and they still had plenty left in them. You would have to be crazy nuts to listen anywhere near that level for any length of time.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
              Like the CA-M400, the CA-M300 and CA-M600 will double down to 4 ohms only. I wouldn't put to much importance beyond this. It's unlikely you would ever drive the 800D that hard. I tested mine to 107dB SPL (@4m - ears protected) with the CA-M400's and they still had plenty left in them. You would have to be crazy nuts to listen anywhere near that level for any length of time.
              Agreed after a certain level you will damage your hearing and then will have to sell your beloved hifi

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.asp

Continuous dB Permissible Exposure Time

85 db 8 hours

88 dB 4 hours

91 db 2 hours

94 db 1 hour

97 db 30 minutes

100 db 15 minutes

103 db 7.5 minutes

106 dB 3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB 1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB 0.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB 0.46875 min (~30 sec)

Many common sounds may be louder than you think…
              • A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
              • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
              • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
              • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
              In fact, noise is probably the most common occupational hazard facing people today. It is estimated that as many as 30 million Americans are exposed to potentially harmful sounds at work. Even outside of work, many people participate in recreational activities that can produce harmful noise (musical concerts, use of power tools, etc.). Sixty million Americans own firearms, and many people do not use appropriate hearing protection devices.

If you like math http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...nd/intens.html
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"