CP-500 vs CP-700 preamps - how big is the difference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

CP-500 vs CP-700 preamps - how big is the difference?

I mean sure the 700 pre must be better but how much better? The cost is like 2 times more!
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Why not wait for the CP-800? Just around the corner..

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Antonkk
      I mean sure the 700 pre must be better but how much better? The cost is like 2 times more!
      I own a CP-500 and it sounds excellent. It's very pleasing overall, and in fact, I will be using mine again in a dedicated analog stereo system that I'm in the process of putting together. I also have an SSP-800, and it reproduces more clarity and extra fine detail over the CP-500 (somewhat similar to the CP-700). It also depends on the source material.

The CP-700 will sound better than the CP-500 as I described, if you also have source players and speakers capable of reproducing the high quality of sound, and a dedicated room that has decent acoustics.

It's also a difference of only a few degrees, and whether or not you have a trained ear to be able to hear the difference.
      Last edited by beden1; 13 October 2010, 16:17 Wednesday.

Comment

• Aquarius
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by beden1
        I own a CP-500 and it sounds excellent. It's very pleasing overall, and in fact, I will be using mine again in a dedicated analog stereo system that I'm in the process of putting together. I also have an SSP-800, and it reproduces more clarity and extra fine detail over the CP-500 (somewhat similar to the CP-700). It also depends on the source material.

The CP-700 has balanced connections where the CP-500 does not.

The CP-700 will sound better than the CP-500 as I described, if you also have source players and speakers capable of reproducing the high quality of sound, and a dedicated room that has decent acoustics.

It's also a difference of only a few degrees, and whether or not you have a trained ear to be able to hear the difference.
        OMG... What a post! :s

First of all, as a CP-500 owner you should know that cp-500 DO HAVE balanced connectors.
        And second, if someone here doesn't have trained ears, NAD will do the job just fine.

CP-700 represent a quantum leap in definition and transparency over CP-500.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Aquarius
          OMG... What a post! :s

First of all, as a CP-500 owner you should know that cp-500 DO HAVE balanced connectors.
          And second, if someone here doesn't have trained ears, NAD will do the job just fine.

CP-700 represent a quantum leap in definition and transparency over CP-500.
          It does have balance outputs. I have not used it for about 1 1/2 years so I forgot, sorry about that.

CP-700 a quantum leap over the CP-500, not really, but maybe you have better ears than mine. Or, you a proud owner of a CP-700 and trying to justify your purchase?

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Definitely not a quantum leap but maybe a sure footed one.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

One more difference - the cp-700 have dual balanced outputs, the cp-500 only have single balanced outputs.

Comment

• Antonkk
                • Jan 2010

Allright but what about CP700 vs new CP800 pre? Other than USB features will it be any upgrade?

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Antonkk
                  Allright but what about CP700 vs new CP800 pre? Other than USB features will it be any upgrade?
                  IMO, if the CP-800 is at least as good as the SSP-800, then absolutely yes!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"