X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cambs12
    • Jul 2006

CDP202 as a preamp

Has anyone got any thoughts on running the cdp202 straight into a power amp,i don't need extra inputs,so thought this would be worth considering.This will either go into a 2200,or CA400 monos.
  • RLRB
    • Oct 2008

i did it, for a long time
    but i didnt like it, the cdp 102 loses detail at low level (relative volume), the cdp 202 will do the same because the level adjustement has not a preamplifier and it does via chip dac
    the wadia players has an output voltage setting and perhaps works well, the say that below 65 of 100 loses detail
    o prefer the system with preamp but can be an option for a period, does not sound bad (you can live withy it)

my opinion

Comment

• Xavier
      • May 2007

Hi.

I've used my CDP-300 as preamp connected to a CA-3200 using balanced output and B&W 802D Speakers for about 2 years.

The outcome was good but the sound laked body and punch. It was really soft. I have recently added a SSP-800 to my setup and the outcome is now out of this world. Simply amazing. And I'm talking about stereo configuration.

If you haven't bought yet the CDP-202 I would consider shifting the investment into a Classé preamp and buy a lower level source as transport. I'm currently using a OPPO BDP-83 Nuforce Edition through HDMI and the sound is simply amazing. Detail, sonic stage, attack, everything is flawless. I hear all sorts of music, from jazz to rock, pop...

The Lyngdorf CD1 is an amazing CD player that could serve you perfectly. The CD2 will be released soon.
      System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hi Xavier,

I have too the Ssp800 and the CA3200 with the 803Di (plus CA2200, another 803D "old" , htm2D, 805S,.....

The choice of the SSP as first target is a good thing. the ssp have a dac inside very amazing, much more over the price....

ifyou use the Hdmi as "connection" the oppo is a drive and is a "unexpensive" choice vs. the cdp102/202.

I like the Lyngdorf expeciallly for the Sdai2200 power ampli 2x200watt, a great room correction in stereo: make a good ccombo with te CA2200... :T

Lyngdorf come with a CD2 out? end of this year?

You muss try a good coax. cables in place as the hdmi: I had always used the Hdmi like you but now I'm go with a great coax. cable for the audio part and is very better as teh Hdmi.
        I like see BR concert and if are in dts HD with the Hdmi the display from the SSP status is 44/48hz., with the coax. you can haveno more the dts HD on the display but the hz. go from 48 to 96 or 192hr!
        more hz is not always more quality but hey try man! :W 8O

As cd player the Classe units are overpriced!!! a new cdpp202 is ca. 8k euros: Ayre with the half price give you the the CX7e last mod. amazing and is around the same pice from the new Lyngdorf !

Comment

• Xavier
          • May 2007

Originally posted by style
          Hi Xavier,
          I have too the Ssp800 and the CA3200 with the 803Di (plus CA2200, another 803D "old" , htm2D, 805S,.....
          The choice of the SSP as first target is a good thing. the ssp have a dac inside very amazing, much more over the price....
          ifyou use the Hdmi as "connection" the oppo is a drive and is a "unexpensive" choice vs. the cdp102/202.
          I like the Lyngdorf expeciallly for the Sdai2200 power ampli 2x200watt, a great room correction in stereo: make a good ccombo with te CA2200... :T
          Lyngdorf come with a CD2 out? end of this year?
          You muss try a good coax. cables in place as the hdmi: I had always used the Hdmi like you but now I'm go with a great coax. cable for the audio part and is very better as teh Hdmi.
          I like see BR concert and if are in dts HD with the Hdmi the display from the SSP status is 44/48hz., with the coax. you can haveno more the dts HD on the display but the hz. go from 48 to 96 or 192hr!
          more hz is not always more quality but hey try man! :W 8O
          As cd player the Classe units are overpriced!!! a new cdpp202 is ca. 8k euros: Ayre with the half price give you the the CX7e last mod. amazing and is around the same pice from the new Lyngdorf !
          Hi Style,

I have to say that it took me some time to finally decide to go for the SSP-800. It is far from being cheap. But now that I have it I believe it is worth every penny. It was a huge leap in quality in my system. I'm now using balanced connections with simple professional music klotz cables and it sounds like nothing I've heard before.

I have tried a Furutec coaxial cable as well as Apogee Wide eye and both sounded worst than the HDMI connection. Further the HDMI recreates a much more natural stage. Honestly it sounds strange to hear me saying that since I used to be very sensitive to cables, but my recent experience changed my view completely. And the OPPO as transport those the job very well. I currently have my CDP-300 for sale and If I think about buying a dedicated CD player I would most likely go for the Lyngdorf CD1 or CD2.

I also a excellent impression with Lyngdorf amps, preamps and integrated amplifiers. I'm friends with the Portuguese representative and had the opportunity to listen to most of their products. Millennium included.
          System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hallo Xavier,

for movie or concert (in this moment is all in bluray: Pioneer LX91 & Denon3800) the Hdmi make a fantastic job thats right.

Normaly I dont believe in the woodo cable: a good cable ok but not a 3-4k.€. for a meter cable 8O ....
            last week I had at my home this man:
            faberscable.com
            He make cable only freind and in very little quantity: new sector cable & powerbar like the "Vibex" made in spain :W , coax. cables...
            with this changing my system sound VERY amazing: the soundstage is 3 x as before, open, air acustic...wow: I dont believe was possible!!!

the big brand cable are good but to have a GOOD cables you must pay a lot of money.... the basis from every brands have a price and a bad sound. Overpriced.

style

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Xavier
              I have to say that it took me some time to finally decide to go for the SSP-800. It is far from being cheap. But now that I have it I believe it is worth every penny. It was a huge leap in quality in my system. I'm now using balanced connections with simple professional music klotz cables and it sounds like nothing I've heard before.
              Welcome to the club yes indeed the SSP-800 sounds great :T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Xavier
                • May 2007

Hi Wettou. Thanks.

It's good to participate in such a big Classé community.

As said, I used to be much more sensitive to cables. It started when I first visited a professional mixing/processing studio equipped with 6 B&W 801D with Electrocompaniet Nemo amplification. They were running 1 Euros/meter balanced Belden cables and the sound was breath taking. Of course the room was acoustically treated. It was the most revealing sound experience in my life. The db levels were so high and still so detailed and rich. We stayed there for 4 hours but with breaks every 20 minutes in order to recover from the very high sound pressure levels.

Now I'm very sensitive to a value for the money approach on cables.

Comment

• gerardhn
                  • Jun 2005

Coming back to the original question of cambs.

If someone is a normal stereo user, one should take either the 500/700 preamp.
                  That seems the me most logical normal choice.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Xavier
                    Hi Wettou. Thanks. It's good to participate in such a big Classé community. As said, I used to be much more sensitive to cables. It started when I first visited a professional mixing/processing studio equipped with 6 B&W 801D with Electrocompaniet Nemo amplification. They were running 1 Euros/meter balanced Belden cables and the sound was breath taking. Of course the room was acoustically treated. It was the most revealing sound experience in my life. The db levels were so high and still so detailed and rich. We stayed there for 4 hours but with breaks every 20 minutes in order to recover from the very high sound pressure levels. Now I'm very sensitive to a value for the money approach on cables.
                    Fabulous, yes people who have the opportunity go to recording studios and look at what they are using quickly understand.

In order of priority:

1. Room engineered and acoustically treated to be as neutral as possible
                    2. Best active powered speaker the studio can afford, FYI
                    Our professional monitors are designed from the very beginning to reproduce the sound signal without any alteration. These monitors will meet the needs of the biggest studios as well as the smallest ones.

3. Best microphones
                    4. Mixer
                    5. Computer
                    6. Cables... Belden+Mogami+Canare=99% of all pro recording studios
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Birdy
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Cambs12
                      Has anyone got any thoughts on running the cdp202 straight into a power amp,i don't need extra inputs,so thought this would be worth considering.This will either go into a 2200,or CA400 monos.
                      I'm doing it right now 'cause my CP700 died (temporarily I hope) on me.

I can confirm lack of details and also it seems that the soundstage is smaller.
                      Might be psychological who knows? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway missing my CP700 for sure! ;x(

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"