X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Upgrade path CDP502 or SSP-800

Can anyone tell me if the better upgrade path is a CDP-502 or a CDP-102 connected to a SPP-800?
    To put in a different way is the DAC in the SSP-800 equal to, or better, or worse to the SSP-800 dac?
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aarsoe
    Can anyone tell me if the better upgrade path is a CDP-502 or a CDP-102 connected to a SPP-800?
    To put in a different way is the DAC in the SSP-800 equal to, or better, or worse to the SSP-800 dac?
    why spend all that money on a DVD player (502)? If you want a quality CDP, get the CDP-202, not the 102. Will it be better to get the 800? depends on what your priority is... if you watch movies/TV 40% or more of the time, and audio only 49%, then I say get the ssp-800. If you listen to 2 channel 75% of the time, I say get the CDP. there are differences, but they are subtle and the CDP will only show value over the SSP-800 (IMO) for someone looking for that last bit.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Sikoniko - the audio section of the 502 is identical to the 202. So they should sound identical on 2 channel material.
      I would however not be purchasing the 502 for its video section, as I have external video processing that will do a better job anyway - so it is only/primarely for audio.

Oh - and I already have the CDP-102 - hence the upgrade in the question..

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Sikoniko - the audio section of the 502 is identical to the 202. So they should sound identical on 2 channel material.
        I would however not be purchasing the 502 for its video section, as I have external video processing that will do a better job anyway - so it is only/primarely for audio.

Oh - and I already have the CDP-102 - hence the upgrade in the question..
        I know, that is why I asked why you are considering the 502 instead of the 202?
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Why? Well for some funny reason I can get the 502 cheaper than the 202..

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
            • Dec 2002

If I had to choose, I choose the 202. Why? They seem to be identical. But less is more.
            The less parts, the less interferentions (I dont know the english word). The less disturbtion from the digital / videoparts which the 502 had.

On the other hand, the 502 is a outstanding DVD player. Wich gives the opportunity to save a piece in your rack.
            ------------------------------------------------------
            Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

ok - but since the question was not about choosing between a 502 and a 202 could we get back on track?

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

the Dac from the SSp800 is one of the better available today.

sure is better from a cdp102 dac's.

from the ssp800 nd the cdp 202 I will invest my money in the cdp202:
                is the top to give you a great sound in bypass modus.
                Is true that is a personal taste say if you prefer the sound fron a cdp202 via coax cable or with xlrr cable in by pass.

the 502 is the same as the 202 plus a video parts...(vaste money FOR ME)

the cdp300 have the same dac fro the cdp102: FOR ME with this last the SSP800 dac's is superior and sound better.

my opinion.

Style

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                  • Dec 2002

I do have the CDP300. With analogue connection it sounds better. And yes, the DAC's in my SSP800 could be better. But there is also more than only dacs. Transport, cables, power, etc. etc.
                  All things together gives a sound, not only the dacs.

I can hear that the sound of the SSP800 is cleaner, but in total I like the sound of the CDP300 more. The SSP800 sticks (in my situation! ) the sound between the speakers, not a open wide image of sound.
                  Perhaps I should by me far more better HDMI cables.

===============
                  Edit: The sticking sound is gone . . . . . . ? ? ?? ?
                  Last edited by Blue-Eyes; 02 May 2010, 04:44 Sunday.

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Blue-eyes

Have you tried using the digital connection instead of the HDMI connection to your CDP-300? Especially the AES/EBU connection? Would be interesting to hear if you experience the same thing..

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Blue-Eyes
                      Perhaps I should by me far more better HDMI cables.
                      You can try, but I think you'll find they'll sound the same whether they cost 5 or 500 euro's
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                        • Dec 2002

Blue-eyes

Have you tried using the digital connection instead of the HDMI connection to your CDP-300? Especially the AES/EBU connection? Would be interesting to hear if you experience the same thing..

I tried also the coax connection. The SSP800 does not have a AES/EBU connection.

There was a slight difference between the coax and HDMI. But not as much as the difference with the XLR bypass connection.
                        And thats the question for me. Should I keep the CDP of sell it, because any transport with HDMI sounds better. And collect the money for new investments

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"