X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

SSP-300 bypass / sound modes

Recently I contacted Classe to ask about a 'source direct' or 'bypass' mode on the SSP-300. I was informed that the 7.1CH analog inputs are the SSP-300’s only bypass inputs and if these were used by for instance a blu-ray player I could no longer bypass other input signals.

I'm planning on getting an Oppo BDP-83SE and connect its 7.1CH analog outputs to the 7.1CH analog inputs on the SSP-300. For CDs I plan to use the BDP-83SE Sabre DACs to do the DA conversion and connect the BDP-83SE's 2CH stereo output to an analog input on my SSP-300.

However if I can no longer use a bypass mode on the SSP-300, will the signal from the BDP-83SE be influenced in any way by the SSP-300? What would be the ideal connections between the BDP-83SE and the SSP-300? (which DACs would be suprior).

Additionally I have been informed that the sound mode 'stereo' and the DSP mode 'stereo 24/96' are essentially the same as the SSP-300 DACs operate at 24/96. What does this mean? If the stereo mode is not a DSP mode, isn't it (close to) a bypass mode? I wonder when one is choosen above the other? Can anybody comment on this?

Thank you.
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

The stereo mode is a DSP mode because you can use a subwoofer with stereo and the signal has to go through the DSP before you would have crossovers. The bypass mode does not engage the DSP at all so you don't have subwoofer output. So if you are going to connect the BD player to the multi channel input, it is the same as the bypass so when you're playing a CD just have the SSP-300 on the multi channel input and you're golden.

As to which DACs would be better, the player or processor, you will have to listen to them yourself and decide.

Eric

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      ... so when you're playing a CD just have the SSP-300 on the multi channel input and you're golden...
      Thank you Eric. However using the multi channel input on the SSP-300 when playing a CD on the BDP-83SE wouldn't be wise, as the dedicated stereo output of the BDP-83SE is believed to offer greater audio performance than the 7.1 analog ouput.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

If that is the case with that player then the DSP will always be in the signal path with the dedicated two channel outputs. Do the two channel outputs always do a downmix for a multi channel track so you can't use them for the front channels?

Eric

Comment

• begood
          • Oct 2005

I believe in stereo mode, only analog bass and level management is applied. Stereo 24/96 mode, reconverts the analog signal to digital and then reapplies the Classe DAC

Comment

• weijst
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            ...Do the two channel outputs always do a downmix for a multi channel track so you can't use them for the front channels?

Eric
            I believe they do, unfortunately...
            Originally posted by begood
            I believe in stereo mode, only analog bass and level management is applied. Stereo 24/96 mode, reconverts the analog signal to digital and then reapplies the Classe DAC
            This sounds plausible! Does it perhaps also mean that if no bass and level management is applied this is as close to 'bypass' as the SSP-300 can get? (apart from the 7.1CH input that is)

Comment

• begood
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by weijst
              This sounds plausible! Does it perhaps also mean that if no bass and level management is applied this is as close to 'bypass' as the SSP-300 can get? (apart from the 7.1CH input that is)
              I am not sure, but you could test it. Just configure one of the four listening positions to just include two front large speakers without any level or delay adjustments

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"