X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • begood
    • Oct 2005

External DAC or SSP-300

I plan to acquire the Wadia 170I IPOD transport to bypass the cheap apple DAC so I can stream a digital signal to my SSP-300 or an external DAC. Any suggestions on an external DAC (within reason) that will do better then the SSP-300? I am attempting to get CD quality sound out of my Ipod.
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by begood
    I plan to acquire the Wadia 170I IPOD transport to bypass the cheap apple DAC so I can stream a digital signal to my SSP-300 or an external DAC. Any suggestions on an external DAC (within reason) that will do better then the SSP-300? I am attempting to get CD quality sound out of my Ipod.
    Start with making sure you use lossless files on your ipod. No MP3s. Apple lossless is good enough thou.

Would you be using the DAC for anything else? i.e. movies, TV etc

Comment

• begood
      • Oct 2005

I plan just to use the DAC for the Ipod. I narrowed my search to the Cambridge Audio Magic DAC (DAC: WM8740 Price: 429.00), the Music Fidelity V-DAC (DAC: Burr-Brown 1792 Price: 299.00) and the Music Hall DAC 25.2 (DAC: Burr-Brown 1796 Price: 599.00). The problem is that I am not sure if either of these will best the SSP-300 DAC.
      Last edited by begood; 03 March 2010, 01:03 Wednesday.

Comment

• FALCODEAN
        • May 2009

ps audio digital link III dac

I compared the ssp 300 to the Ps audio digital link III cullen modified iV and the dac won hands down - as a matter of fact it sounds better with the Ipod than playing the cd-s straight from my cdp 502 - quite amazing and highly recomanded.
        cdp 502
        cp 700 (recently I play around with an unison reserach mstery two preamp)
        cam 400 x 2
        800d

Comment

• begood
          • Oct 2005

Thanks for the info Falcodean. The modified PS Audio DAC is out of my price range. Have you any experience with the standard PS Audio DAC? By the way, I decided not to get the Wadia 170i transport after I learned that the Apple TV media server also outputs a digital stream for itunes music. I picked up one today at best buy. The setup was fairly easy and it costs about a $150.0 less than the Wadia. Now, I need to decide on a DAC

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by begood
            Thanks for the info Falcodean. The modified PS Audio DAC is out of my price range. Have you any experience with the standard PS Audio DAC? By the way, I decided not to get the Wadia 170i transport after I learned that the Apple TV media server also outputs a digital stream for itunes music. I picked up one today at best buy. The setup was fairly easy and it costs about a $150.0 less than the Wadia. Now, I need to decide on a DAC
            I made the same decision as well Apple TV is an amazing product if we could just had more storage it would be the ultimate media server.

I use the DAC in the SSP-800 and have great sound:T
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
              • May 2008

Originally posted by wettou
              I made the same decision as well Apple TV is an amazing product if we could just had more storage it would be the ultimate media server.

I use the DAC in the SSP-800 and have great sound:T
              I agree, it is a great product!

google apple tv and you will find lots of solutions...a company that lets you add external hard drives, there is one that adds it in for you...I haven't tried it but will soon...
              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                I agree, it is a great product!

google apple tv and you will find lots of solutions...a company that lets you add external hard drives, there is one that adds it in for you...I haven't tried it but will soon...
                Let me know when you will?
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Upgrading your Apple TV is fairly easy. I have upgraded the hdd in mine to a 250 GB and it took me less than 20 min to do so. Now I can sync all my ripped music to it and use my iphone as a remote. Really looking forward to the Ipad as a big remote for it..

Only thing to remember is that the apple TV will only take PATA HDD`s - so no SATA.
                  But you could get a PATA to SATA converter and then still use a SATA HDD

Comment

• begood
                    • Oct 2005

I decided to try Musical Fidelity's V-DAC. After doing some research, I learned this DAC uses burr browns best receiver/up-sampler and DAC (SRC4392 and DSD1792). I believe the SSP-800 uses the same DAC. Of course I know there is more to a great sound than the DAC alone, but I am hoping the V-DAC can out perform my SSP-300 when connected to the Apple TV server.

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Its relatively easy to upgrade an Apple TV hard drive, there are lots of guides online, but bear in mind you need an Intel Mac to format it. Also, I think the max supported is 320GB. I used a IDE to USB adapter when I did mine. Apple TV also has audio over HDMI. http://guides.macrumors.com/Apple_TV..._Drive_Upgrade
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Hi begood,

in the last time are available a lot of Dac and other multimedia solution.....

the Nuforce have 2 or 3 very good solution, Chord,......

go download this "brochure" with a very news gears...

give me a feed back! :W

Style

Comment

• FALCODEAN
                          • May 2009

Ps audio digital link III

Begood,
                          I don't have any experience with the non-modified dac, however according to various test reports it already sounds really sweet and you could always have it modded later. there is one on sale on audiogon for 550 right now.
                          Falcodean

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"