X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

SSP-800 & Turntable

SSP-800 doesn't have a phono stage how does one hook up a turntable, I just received 100 LPs from a friend who was cleaning-up his basement and want to experiment.
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wettou
    SSP-800 doesn't have a phono stage how does one hook up a turntable, I just received 100 LPs from a friend who was cleaning-up his basement and want to experiment.
    add a phono pre-amp of choice. ofcourse you'll need a record player as well ! :P
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

Needledoctor has one of the widest range of phono preamps, turntables, cartridges, and accessories.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
        • Dec 2009

Isn't that dependent on the cartridge output? The analog single ended input on the rear of the SSP-800 would work as a phono input with enough gain? Might still need that phono preamp?

Comment

• kpodolski
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Sharp 1080
          Isn't that dependent on the cartridge output? The analog single ended input on the rear of the SSP-800 would work as a phono input with enough gain?
          Absolutely not. No cartridge, wether moving magnet or moving coil, will have enough output into a standard line in. Don't get me wrong; you'll hear sound alright if you plug your turntable straight in...it'll just sound like shit. (That does not include cheapie turntables with a phono pre-amp built-in to the unit). Do yourself a favor a pickup a nice phono pre-amp. I had a Cambridge Audio pre-amp for a while and thought it was a nice piece for the money...
          The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Srrndhound
            • Sep 2008

Isn't that dependent on the cartridge output? The analog single ended input on the rear of the SSP-800 would work as a phono input with enough gain? Might still need that phono preamp?
            It's not just the gain you need, but the RIAA equalization.

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

The analog single ended input on the rear of the SSP-800 would work as a phono input with enough gain?
              Line level inputs require around approximately 150mV minimum. Moving magnet cartridges average between 3-5 mV output, and moving coil cartridges lower.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                It's not just the gain you need, but the RIAA equalization.
                You know I forgot about the RIAA equalization curve and the cartridge's output. It's been way too long since owning a turntable! Phono preamps are readily available to choose from and go from affordable to expensive. I still have all of my record albums. I also preferred moving coil to moving magnet but that's just me? :B

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

There are some nice moving magnet cartridges but I too prefer moving coil.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                    • Sep 2008

You know I forgot about the RIAA equalization curve and the cartridge's output. It's been way too long since owning a turntable! Phono preamps are readily available to choose from and go from affordable to expensive. I still have all of my record albums. I also preferred moving coil to moving magnet but that's just me? :B
                    I like moving coil. I have a Sumiko Talisman and a Dynavector Ruby, which I run into a transformer stepup into a Fosgate tube preamp. I have yet to patch it all into the SSP, but I've got to get that happening again. Vinyl in 7.1!

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                      I like moving coil. I have a Sumiko Talisman and a Dynavector Ruby, which I run into a transformer stepup into a Fosgate tube preamp. I have yet to patch it all into the SSP, but I've got to get that happening again. Vinyl in 7.1!
                      I like the Dynavector Ruby. I've heard it with several different turntable/arm setups and it seems to still be popular. Have not heard the Talisman yet. SSP and vinyl should be interesting.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

How about Rega! Any one has experience with the SSP-800 and turntable how does it sound!
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                          How about Rega! Any one has experience with the SSP-800 and turntable how does it sound!
                          no ssp800 here :P but running a rega p9 here with an ortofon jubilee cart and audio research ph5 tube pre amplifier :B

a truly sublime combination :T
                          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"