X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian1975
    • Apr 2009

Shunyata Hydra + ClassÉ + Bw Speakers

Hi to you all,

I'm asking myself if it's worth to buy a shunyata hydra...will it improve my classé and BW audio or video experience?

Thanks for your inputs.

Ian
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by ian1975
    Hi to you all,

I'm asking myself if it's worth to buy a shunyata hydra...will it improve my classé and BW audio or video experience?

Thanks for your inputs.

Ian
    Save your money and invest in good acoustic treatment for your room, also get a 20 amp dedicated line
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Oddiophile
      • Jul 2008

Hi to you all,

Thanks for your inputs.

Ian

Which Shunyata Hydra are you looking at?

Jim

Comment

• ian1975
        • Apr 2009

Hi,

I was looking at the Shunyata hydra 8. Anyone has experience with this power conditioner?

Thanks!

Ian

Comment

• Oddiophile
          • Jul 2008

Ian,

I have a very similar combination and I have my Hydra8 hooked up to my source components where it probably makes more of a difference in terms of less background noise. There is definitely a difference but whether it is worth the substantial extra outlay, I'm not sure.

Really the only way to know what is best is, of course, to try it. You should be able to do this without too much trouble. If you cannot easily get Shunyata Montreal, try Music Direct in Chicago; they are very good.

What type of power cords would you be using with the Hydra8? One thing that impressed me about Shunyata is that when I called them up they recommended their cheaper power cords for my system (which is pretty good). You don't hear of companies doing that very often.

Jim

Comment

• ian1975
            • Apr 2009

Hi Oddiophile,

Is the Hydra 8 a surge protector also or just a power conditioner?
            I don't know if I should keep the $ to upgrade to the new 800 series or the Classé Mono block Amps instead?

Thanks

Comment

• Oddiophile
              • Jul 2008

Ian,

I would put the money towards either the Classe and/or the B&W before getting a Shunyata Hydra8.

Jim

Comment

• caberxx
                • Jan 2010

I have recently purchased the Shunyata VRay II and am very impressed. I also got Shunyata Python cables for the VFRay, my two CA-M400 amps, the CP-700 preamp and the CDP-202 CD player. I tested the Hydra 8 and a few units from Richard Grey and others. The Shunyata is impressive. My second choice would have been the Hydra 8 over the others. I don't find any absolute improvement in sound quality, but the depth of the sound image is now much more forward and deeper. Given the choice between upgrading the Classe amps and the speakers and buying the Shunyata, the amps and speakers will make a much more noticeable improvement. The Shunyata is horribly expensive (especially when buying all the power cords to go with it - I spent almost $12K) and the improvement is likely not worth the cost to most. IMHO, money should be spent in the following order: source components, amps, speakers, room treatment, cables, then hydro. The Shunyata should be the final stage of building a system.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by caberxx
                  The Shunyata is horribly expensive (especially when buying all the power cords to go with it - I spent almost $12K) and the improvement is likely not worth the cost to most. IMHO, money should be spent in the following order: source components, amps, speakers, room treatment, cables, then hydro. The Shunyata should be the final stage of building a system.
                  I would rather spend that money in acoustic treatment as the room is 50% of the sound!
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Antonkk
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by caberxx
                    I have recently purchased the Shunyata VRay II and am very impressed. I also got Shunyata Python cables for the VFRay, my two CA-M400 amps, the CP-700 preamp and the CDP-202 CD player. I tested the Hydra 8 and a few units from Richard Grey and others. The Shunyata is impressive. My second choice would have been the Hydra 8 over the others. I don't find any absolute improvement in sound quality, but the depth of the sound image is now much more forward and deeper. Given the choice between upgrading the Classe amps and the speakers and buying the Shunyata, the amps and speakers will make a much more noticeable improvement. The Shunyata is horribly expensive (especially when buying all the power cords to go with it - I spent almost $12K) and the improvement is likely not worth the cost to most. IMHO, money should be spent in the following order: source components, amps, speakers, room treatment, cables, then hydro. The Shunyata should be the final stage of building a system.

From you experience does it work good on big amps? I mean most power conditioners reduce the dynamics of the power amp and are only good on sources and pres.

Comment

• ray5
                      • Dec 2008

Hi Oddiophile,

Is the Hydra 8 a surge protector also or just a power conditioner?
                      I don't know if I should keep the $ to upgrade to the new 800 series or the Classé Mono block Amps instead?

Thanks
                      I would certainly do these before the power condiioner.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                        • Dec 2009

I've gone down that road. Stop and finish your room first. Depending on what you need done, it might be even cheaper doing your room than buying the Hydra. The improvements sonically with acoustical treatments and dedicated lines made the most noticable and immediate change overall in my system.Now when I make a change in the system it's much more apparent than before the room upgrade. :T

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Power Cords

For those of you who think power cords make a difference!

This article explores the age old question whether or not exotic power cords make a difference over the stock OEM cables supplied with your AV gear. Get the truth about power cords & cables here.

I tried a Pangea and I can't hear any difference 14AWG the stock cord was also 14 AWG

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

The Shunyata hydra 8 is a filter, designed to remove AV line noise. Do you hear hum or noise from your speakers with no audio input? Is it still there when you ground the amps input? I should imagine your Classe already has sufficient line filtering in its power supply. Power cords need to be correctly rated, and Classe put a sufficiently chunky one in the box.
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Mike , I agree with you....in europa we have a very good & clean power source vr. the usa....
                              I think rally that in Usa a Vray II is a good investiment but not in europa.....
                              the Hydra is sure the Top available (no other brand have this improvement that the hydra have). a lot of profi register center have a hadra that right....

well in europa a good power distributor, with a "stern/star" contruction is enough for CH,DE,FR,BE,NL,....

the Hydra in Europa is priced euro. 5900.- !!!! without any cable! a basic "black manba - min 2o r3 pc. at 900.-/pc. - is crazy!!!

style

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Snake oil

According to these guy it does?

But seriously let's think for a moment

This article explores the age old question whether or not exotic power cords make a difference over the stock OEM cables supplied with your AV gear. Get the truth about power cords & cables here.

Personaly I don't think so it is just like this stuff, cable risers,

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Cable-Risers-Snake-Oil-or-they-do-improve-SQ

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/top-ten-signs-an-audio-cable-vendor-is-selling-you-snake-oil

andreconsulting.com/Audio%20Equipment%20Snake%20Oil.pdf

Anyway you get the point :B

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"