X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian1975
    • Apr 2009

Speakers levels

Hi!
    Is it normal that I have to setup my speakers and sub at level -10 to -12 to get 75 on the SPL meter?

What are your speakers levels?

Thanks

Ian
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

It depends on the sensitivity of the speakers and the sensitivity of the amps as well as the accuracy of the meter.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wildtangent
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ian1975
      Hi!
      Is it normal that I have to setup my speakers and sub at level -10 to -12 to get 75 on the SPL meter?

Thanks

Ian

The exact value of the SPL (sound pressure level) is not a value fixed in stone. An SPL of 75db is considered by some to be an average listening level. There are many factors that affect the SPL level in your listening room, how close are your speakers to your listening position, the gain of your amplifiers the sensitivity and efficiency your speakers and the level of the test signal. A good idea is to zero out the trim controls on the SSP800 and cycle through noise taking note of the SPL reading on all active speakers before you make any trim adjustments. Look at the numbers and figure out the difference between them. If you have several speakers that are about the same level leave them alone and dial in the differences in the others. Check the readings again and make any final tweeks. At the end of the exercise the levels are now corrected and you use your volume control to set your listening level.

Comment

• ian1975
        • Apr 2009

How do you zero out the trim controls on the SSP800 and cycle through noise taking note of the SPL reading on all active speakers?

Thanks

Comment

• AV-OCD
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wildtangent
          The exact value of the SPL (sound pressure level) is not a value fixed in stone. An SPL of 75db is considered by some to be an average listening level. There are many factors that affect the SPL level in your listening room, how close are your speakers to your listening position, the gain of your amplifiers the sensitivity and efficiency your speakers and the level of the test signal. A good idea is to zero out the trim controls on the SSP800 and cycle through noise taking note of the SPL reading on all active speakers before you make any trim adjustments. Look at the numbers and figure out the difference between them. If you have several speakers that are about the same level leave them alone and dial in the differences in the others. Check the readings again and make any final tweeks. At the end of the exercise the levels are now corrected and you use your volume control to set your listening level.
          All good points and a valid approach to setting levels, but the volume readout on the SSP would not be accurate. "0" would no longer be reference level when using the "relative" setting, and the dB readout would be off when using the "absolute" setting.

Comment

• Oddiophile
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ian1975
            Hi!

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

For what it's worth...

I don't know your speaker distances but judging by my readings when I had my 802Ds in the front and when I had my HTM2D, I suspect that your readings are in the ballpark.

Jim

P.S. I will send you a PM with distances and levels when I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"