X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Just joined the SSP-800 club

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my new Classe SSP-800 with the dual DSP board. I will be installing it tomorrow.

My current system is all B&W speakers with HTM1D (centre), 802Ds (front), N802s (side), 805S (rear) and 2 ASW 855 subs. The power comes from 3 Classe CA-M400s across the front and 2 2200s for the rest. Sources are an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray/universal player and an Esoteric UX3-Pi for CD (and DVD-Audio and SACD which I will now be able to try with the HDMI input on the SSP-800) and Shunyata power conditioners and power cords.

I am seriously considering a deal whereby I would get a demo pair of B&W 800Ds which I could move to the front, trade in my N802s and move the 802Ds to the side. I hope that some of you will comment on that possible move in the B&W Club thread that I just established.

Once things settle down I will comment periodically on the SSP-800.

Thanks for everything. This forum has been and continues to be a great help.

Jim
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

:drool:

OK.. now that is out of the way, we expect pictures. :P

If you can, get the 800D's. It is a big step up. My first experience with them was not all that favorable, but I revisited them a few years back and am currently looking to sell a kidney for a pair. :T

are you planning on a/b' both transports to see if you notice much of a difference at sacd playback? If you do, try and trick yourself so you do not know which player is actively playing. only thing you are really missing is a sonos. a CDP is cool... but having your entire music catalog at your fingertips to queue up is where it's at. 8)

btw, 2 2200's is more expensive than 1x 5200. did you buy them at seperate times? I'm curious what the reasoning is?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Oddiophile
      • Jul 2008

Sikoniko,

Thanks for the comments.

I bought the 2200s about 4 years ago. It honestly did not even occur to me that the 5200 would be cheaper than the 2 2200s. As it happens the flexibility in placement of the 2 2200s has been a pleasant bonus.

Pictures will come when everything is set up. Be warned that they might not be that great given my experience with the pictures that have already been taken of the room.

Right now, I am waiting on the canbus connectors and a couple of Transparent HDMI connectors (I have a couple of loaners so I can still operate). Also, I have to coordinate with the dealer as to when he can come by (350 mile trip but it is on his way to Toronto where he goes fairly often) to do the EQ in the SSP-800. To prepare for that I will break in the SSP-800 for the recommended 300+ hours using one of my burn-in discs (probably the XLO).

As far as a music server system goes, I have only recently begun to look at them. The interface would be extremely important to me and it seems that right now the Sooloos is the best but it is also quite expensive. Then there is the matter of ripping several thousand discs...

I am probably going to make notes on the installation. After reading the manual, I already have some ideas on how Classe could improve both the manual and the menus system. I will certainly communicate my suggestions to Tom at Classe.

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Oddiophile
        Sikoniko,

As far as a music server system goes, I have only recently begun to look at them. The interface would be extremely important to me and it seems that right now the Sooloos is the best but it is also quite expensive. Then there is the matter of ripping several thousand discs...

Jim
        How do you like to listen to music? when I listen, I often dim the lights way down, close my eyes and relax. When I look at the sooloos, I see a big, bright screen that disruptsme from relaxing in a dark room. the sonos uses an iphone/itouch. somethin to think about...

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Why not just get a Mac Mini and use iTunes?

I have 4000 songs ripped lossless into itunes (not 1 is a downloaded mp3). Its great, and works well with iPods and wireless apps.

Comment

• garak
            • Jul 2007

Right now, I am waiting on the canbus connectors and a couple of Transparent HDMI connectors (I have a couple of loaners so I can still operate).
            Congrats Jim, you've got a great setup.

I've just got one question. What do you mean be canbus connectors (and by saying that you're waiting on them, I assume you mean you have some on order)? If you mean the cables needed to connect your Classe gear for canbus, please note that they are just regular ethernet cables (like the ones you use to connect your computer to a network/the internet).

Comment

• Oddiophile
              • Jul 2008

Garak,

The cables themselves are not the problem, it's the actual terminations that the dealer has to get.

Sikonoko,

Like you, I like the lights down or out to listen to music. I am not worried about using a music server at this stage but I will try to keep abreast of the situation. Talk about a rapidly changing part of audio, music servers and computer audio are probably the fastest changing.

Thanks guys.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Nolan B
                Why not just get a Mac Mini and use iTunes? I have 4000 songs ripped lossless into itunes (not 1 is a downloaded mp3). Its great, and works well with iPods and wireless apps.
                I just use my iPod Classic 160GB it works very well :T With windows 7 I have been thinking to get a multi-touch screen computer and load up all the music it would be like Soloos but at 1/5 the price :B
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my new Classe SSP-800 with the dual DSP board. I will be installing it tomorrow. My current system is all B&W speakers with HTM1D (centre), 802Ds (front), N802s (side), 805S (rear) and 2 ASW 855 subs. The power comes from 3 Classe CA-M400s across the front and 2 2200s for the rest. Sources are an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray/universal player and an Esoteric UX3-Pi for CD (and DVD-Audio and SACD which I will now be able to try with the HDMI input on the SSP-800) and Shunyata power conditioners and power cords.

I am seriously considering a deal whereby I would get a demo pair of B&W 800Ds which I could move to the front, trade in my N802s and move the 802Ds to the side. I hope that some of you will comment on that possible move in the B&W Club thread that I just established.

Once things settle down I will comment periodically on the SSP-800.

Thanks for everything. This forum has been and continues to be a great help. Jim
                  Very nice indeed! 3 CA-M400 very cool, Pictures please
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Oddiophile
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                    Very nice indeed! 3 CA-M400 very cool, Pictures please
                    Wettou,

I just ordered a pair of B&W 800Ds today as I was able to get a better deal than originally offered and I got a bit more than I thought I would for the N802s that I am trading in. I should get them perhaps as early as next week. Once the dust settles from all of this, I will take some pix. I apologize in advance for the quality.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Wettou, I just ordered a pair of B&W 800Ds today as I was able to get a better deal than originally offered and I got a bit more than I thought I would for the N802s that I am trading in. I should get them perhaps as early as next week. Once the dust settles from all of this, I will take some pix. I apologize in advance for the quality. Jim
                      Jim, No apologies, please you have amaizing toys :B

Out of curiosity how much did you get for the 802N I have a pair as well!

Comment

• Oddiophile
                        • Jul 2008

Hi all,

I just installed the SSP-800 this afternoon. There are a few problems that perhaps some of you can help me with:

1. I cannot get any test tones for the 2 subs that I have connected. I have one connected to the Sub output (duh) and the other connected to the Aux1 output. Incidentally, the manual is wrong and in the case of an LR stereo sub connection the second sub needs to be connected to Aux1 whereas the Manual says Aux2.

2. I have all HDMI connections now for my source material other than the toslink (optical) connection for the audio on my PVR (the HDMI outputs video only). There appears to be no way to watch Satellite/TV and listen to background music via either my Esoteric or my Oppo at the same time. The only solution I can see is to run the HDMI into my Pioneer and switch inputs on the TV while the audio on the Esoteric or the Oppo is playing. I have done that and it works (except for one odd problem) but I would prefer to run all the video out of the SSP-800 if I could.

3. The "odd problem" mentioned above is that with that setup when I switch the TV input from the PVR back to the TV input from the Classe, the audio garbles and sometimes flips the audio track back to the beginning or even stops it altogether before it gets going again. I noticed a similar problem with my previous Lexicon MC-12B (non-HDMI) setup where all the video had to be sent directly from the sources to the TV.

I have a few other problems but those can wait for later. Time for some listening (and the World Series).

Thanks in advance for your help/comments.

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Hi all,

I just installed the SSP-800 this afternoon. There are a few problems that perhaps some of you can help me with:

1. I cannot get any test tones for the 2 subs that I have connected. I have one connected to the Sub output (duh) and the other connected to the Aux1 output. Incidentally, the manual is wrong and in the case of an LR stereo sub connection the second sub needs to be connected to Aux1 whereas the Manual says Aux2.
                          Aux2 is the correct output for 2 subs.

2. I have all HDMI connections now for my source material other than the toslink (optical) connection for the audio on my PVR (the HDMI outputs video only). There appears to be no way to watch Satellite/TV and listen to background music via either my Esoteric or my Oppo at the same time. The only solution I can see is to run the HDMI into my Pioneer and switch inputs on the TV while the audio on the Esoteric or the Oppo is playing. I have done that and it works (except for one odd problem) but I would prefer to run all the video out of the SSP-800 if I could.
                          If I am understanding you correctly, you are watching via HDMI and listening via HDMI. correct? My guess is you will not be able to do this because of copy protection on the HDMI signal. this would not be a classe issue, it would be a limitation of HDMI, if I understand you. Dave said that HDMI must pass verify copy protection somethin like every 3 seconds from end to end. PITA if you ask me.

3. The "odd problem" mentioned above is that with that setup when I switch the TV input from the PVR back to the TV input from the Classe, the audio garbles and sometimes flips the audio track back to the beginning or even stops it altogether before it gets going again. I noticed a similar problem with my previous Lexicon MC-12B (non-HDMI) setup where all the video had to be sent directly from the sources to the TV.
                          no clue on this one.

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Wettou,

I just ordered a pair of B&W 800Ds today as I was able to get a better deal than originally offered and I got a bit more than I thought I would for the N802s that I am trading in. I should get them perhaps as early as next week. Once the dust settles from all of this, I will take some pix. I apologize in advance for the quality.

Jim
                            congrats on getting the deal. was the other thread of any help?

Comment

• Oddiophile
                              • Jul 2008

Jim, No apologies, please you have amaizing toys :B

Out of curiosity how much did you get for the 802N I have a pair as well!
                              Wettou,

Sent you a PM.

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                Aux2 is the correct output for 2 subs.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are watching via HDMI and listening via HDMI. correct? My guess is you will not be able to do this because of copy protection on the HDMI signal. this would not be a classe issue, it would be a limitation of HDMI, if I understand you. Dave said that HDMI must pass verify copy protection somethin like every 3 seconds from end to end. PITA if you ask me.

no clue on this one.

Sikoniko,

The sub output business is really odd. In my system the output for the second sub is definitely Aux1 in spite of what the manual says. I will doublecheck the connections in a few minutes.

I had come to the same conclusion as you about the HDMI business. It is a royal PITA and is a byproduct of the ridiculous copy protection business--dare I say paranoia on the part of the movie studios.

The final problem is almost certainly related to the previous problem with the HDMI. I suspect that when the HDMI inputs are switched that the handshake disappears briefly and the problems I have mentioned probably result when it tries to reconnect with a new HDMI handshake.

I will talk to Tom about this tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what he says about all of this. I have a list of about a page of various questions, problems, anomalies, mistakes in the manual, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                  • Jul 2008

congrats on getting the deal. was the other thread of any help?
                                  Sikoniko,

Thanks again, the other thread was quite helpful. (Good thing you guys don't charge commission! :P

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                    • Jul 2008

Sikoniko,

Any ideas on the test tone problems? I tried to get the tones with Sub2 (right sub) configured both ways: as AUX2 as per the manual and as AUX1 and could not get test tones either way. Regardless of how the second sub is configured, it seems to me you should always be able to get a test tone out of the SUB output. Just doublechecked the connections and Sub2 is definitely connected to AUX1

Furthermore, I played some material with good bass in it and could only get output from the right sub if it was configured as AUX1.

The sub outputs are connected using unbalanced cables via the L output for both SUB and AUX1. Surely I don't need a Y-connector (I have a couple somewhere) to use both the L and R outputs for both SUB and AUX1? I am grasping at straws here.

There is also a problem with the test tones for the rear channels. I get the test tones alright but I get a dB discrepancy between the L and the R channels (R=-5.5 db and L=+5 db). This makes no sense as the amp-to-speaker connections were not touched during the SSP-800 installation. Indeed if anything the R channel should have been higher as it is a 15 foot longer run. On the Lexicon, the test tones read within 1 dB of one another as it should. The other channels are almost identical to my Lexicon readings.

I ended up by putting the sub volume controls to near where they were when hooked up to the Lexicon. I think the output might be higher now but the lack of calibration markings on the B&W ASW855 subs make it difficult to recalibrate exactly as before.

I have a funny feeling that there is something the matter with the test tones but I will find out more when I talk to Tom at Classe.

Jim

Comment

• JoseS
                                      • Nov 2009

Been lurking here a while soaking up great info from you guys. Finally received my SSP-880 2 days ago and I thought I'd join the "club" .

Last edited by JoseS; 12 November 2009, 19:40 Thursday.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                        • Sep 2008

Sikoniko,

Any ideas on the test tone problems? I tried to get the tones with Sub2 (right sub) configured both ways: as AUX2 as per the manual and as AUX1 and could not get test tones either way. Regardless of how the second sub is configured, it seems to me you should always be able to get a test tone out of the SUB output. Just doublechecked the connections and Sub2 is definitely connected to AUX1
                                        Might want to compare notes with Viper, as he is apparently getting the Aux/Sub output to function. His post.

I have a funny feeling that there is something the matter with the test tones but I will find out more when I talk to Tom at Classe.
                                        Let us know what you find out.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by JoseS
                                          Been lurking here a while soaking up great info from you guys. Finally received my SSP-880 2 days ago and I thought I'd join the "club"
                                          Congrats and welcome! Let us know your impressions and experiences. What are you replacing?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

Sikoniko,

Furthermore, I played some material with good bass in it and could only get output from the right sub if it was configured as AUX1.

The sub outputs are connected using unbalanced cables via the L output for both SUB and AUX1. Surely I don't need a Y-connector (I have a couple somewhere) to use both the L and R outputs for both SUB and AUX1? I am grasping at straws here.

There is also a problem with the test tones for the rear channels. I get the test tones alright but I get a dB discrepancy between the L and the R channels (R=-5.5 db and L=+5 db). This makes no sense as the amp-to-speaker connections were not touched during the SSP-800 installation. Indeed if anything the R channel should have been higher as it is a 15 foot longer run. On the Lexicon, the test tones read within 1 dB of one another as it should. The other channels are almost identical to my Lexicon readings.

I ended up by putting the sub volume controls to near where they were when hooked up to the Lexicon. I think the output might be higher now but the lack of calibration markings on the B&W ASW855 subs make it difficult to recalibrate exactly as before.

Jim
                                            Jim,

I will look at it tonight. The second sub is definately Aux2. Are you doing 2 sub mono or 2 sub stereo?

what code are you running? Do you have the new DSP board installed? This was an issue with the original code when the SSP first came out.

Comment

• style
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2006

Hallo Oddiophile,

Right now, I am waiting on the canbus connectors and a couple of Transparent HDMI connectors (I have a couple of loaners so I can still operate). Also, I have to coordinate with the dealer as to when he can come by (350 mile trip but it is on his way to Toronto where he goes fairly often) to do the EQ in the SSP-800. To prepare for that I will break in the SSP-800 for the recommended 300+ hours using one of my burn-in discs (probably the XLO).
                                              I receive the B&W man this friday: he made the update (europa is just now available) and the software too. But the point is that I will go do the EQ from my freind from B&W.
                                              Like you I made a EQ in more setting....not a microphone or similar a great work from Classe.
                                              please give a feed back over the EQ "work".
                                              The Xlo is a good choice in a lt of disc today available. if you listen vemry much music with the Esoteric CD the Acoustic Revive RD-3 (ex furutech) is very Highly recommended. :T

Style

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                • Jul 2008

Jim,

I will look at it tonight. The second sub is definately Aux2. Are you doing 2 sub mono or 2 sub stereo?

what code are you running? Do you have the new DSP board installed? This was an issue with the original code when the SSP first came out.

Sikoniko,

I am doing 2 sub stereo.

I have the new DSP board with 0064 as the latest version.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Sikoniko, Any ideas on the test tone problems? I have a funny feeling that there is something the matter with the test tones but I will find out more when I talk to Tom at Classe. Jim
                                                  What did you find out?

Comment

• JoseS
                                                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                                                    Congrats and welcome! Let us know your impressions and experiences. What are you replacing?

Thanks.

Replacing most recently the Arcam AVR600. Better in 2ch than all the pre/pro I've owned. One can certainly live with the SSP-800 preamp section for music. Clean and dynamic. Love the look and feel of this machine. First class all the way :T .

The internal test tones are not correct in my unit also. Knew that already anyway so I used a THX disc for SPL measurement.

I did have problem with a disc that maybe someone can confirm. Watched Iron Man blu-ray and the audio was compressed. Double-checked my settings and e-mailed Tom about it. I also experienced this with a previous processor.

Comment

• style
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Feb 2006

hallo Oddiophile,

if do you will you can receive the reponse frim Classe Switzlarnd this friday....

but from me the 2 sub you cn go:
                                                      with auy 1 & 2
                                                      or as cascade.

Sure with the aux 1&2 you have the best controll -> but dont' is matematic

that this give you the best sound!

Style

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Thanks. The internal test tones are not correct in my unit also. Knew that already anyway so I used a THX disc for SPL measurement.

I did have problem with a disc that maybe someone can confirm. Watched Iron Man blu-ray and the audio was compressed. Double-checked my settings and e-mailed Tom about it. I also experienced this with a previous processor.
                                                        Bad disc most likely

Comment

• JoseS
                                                          • Nov 2009

Bad disc most likely
                                                          Doubt it.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                            • Sep 2008

Iron Man was incorrectly set up to default with DRC activated. It's legal, just unfortunate. If you turn it off, you will hear the full dynamics. If bitstreaming to the SSP, might try toggling the Night mode (on the System Trims menu) to see if that clears it. The manual, however, states this is only operational for Dolby Digital soundtracks, so it might not do anything (although the manual was written before the SSP could decode the HD streams). If not, we need to have a chat with Classe to make it work for any DRC-enabled bitstream.

In this case, you'd need to have the player do the decoding, and turn DRC off there. Let us know if that works or not.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                              • Jul 2008

Hi all,

I talked to Tom at Classe today and we were able to solve some of my problems.

As to the AUX1 and AUX2 inputs for the right sub, the manual is now correct and it is indeed AUX2. It was "my bad" for trying to read the fine print on the back of the Classe behind a rack in bad light and upside down.

As to the problem with the test tones, the AUX2 sub test tone now works fine but the SUB test tone does not. This is a complete mystery to everyone and so Tom is going to investigate further. Luckily my subs are symmetrical in every way: room placement, both are ASW855s, the height off the ground is the same and the distance from the listening position is the same. Therefore, I was able to use the speaker levels from the AUX2 sub.

Tom cannot account for the discrepancy of 5 dB between the 2 rear levels using the test tones. Apparently there are at least 5 of us who have reported similar problems. Can anyone suggest a good test disc to use to check on this?

Some tips:

1. When using HDMI for audio, the VIDEO connection must be configured first. Otherwise the HDMI option for the audio connection is unavailable (greyed out). This is an HDMI issue that applies to all processors.

2. SACD output must be PCM and NOT DSD to get proper multichannel output.

3. For proper post-processing (e.g. deriving the rear channels from a 5.1 disc), the player should be set to bitstream. Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music is the best Mode to use in my experience and should almost certainly be the default Mode for both 2-channel and multi-channel music. The same would probably apply to movies as well (I haven't tried it yet) with likely Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movies as the default. From my discussions with Tom, I am reasonably sure this bitstream setting is required to get the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio to work properly (using the DISCRETE mode) and to display properly on the Status screen.

I hope I have this right. It has been a long day.

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                • Jul 2008

First Impressions:

I just have a few hours on the SSP-800 but I was finally able to engage in some relatively stress-free listening this afternoon. I listened to the 5.1 SACD of Roxy Music's terrific album, Avalon.

I come from a system using a Lexicon MC-12B V5 EQ which was a terrific processor for its time and deserving of a place in any audio equipment hall of fame. Therefore, I had very good sound for a long time.

However, the Classe SSP-800 thoroughly blows the Lexicon away. The soundstage is much wider and more spacious in all directions. The detail in the surround channels, particularly the side speakers in my 7.2 system, was far greater and there was an uncanny presence compared to what I had heard with the Lexicon. Brian Ferry's vocals can be notoriously difficult to reproduce but the SSP-800 did a superb job. There was a quite lovely transparency about the intruments and their imaging. There was a crispness about the instrumental attacks and yet there was lots of weight when needed. I always felt the Classe had an extra gear if needed.

Well, I'm off to do some more listening. Even the XLO burn-in disc souds pretty good

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                  • Jul 2008

I forgot to mention. It looks like there might be another software update in 2-3 weeks.

Jim

Comment

• JoseS
                                                                    • Nov 2009

Iron Man was incorrectly set up to default with DRC activated. It's legal, just unfortunate. If you turn it off, you will hear the full dynamics. If bitstreaming to the SSP, might try toggling the Night mode (on the System Trims menu) to see if that clears it. The manual, however, states this is only operational for Dolby Digital soundtracks, so it might not do anything (although the manual was written before the SSP could decode the HD streams). If not, we need to have a chat with Classe to make it work for any DRC-enabled bitstream.

In this case, you'd need to have the player do the decoding, and turn DRC off there. Let us know if that works or not.
                                                                    Having the player decode was the only way to hear the full dynamics. Was initially aware of the Iron Man DRC situation, but since I don't remember reading about it here, I thought it might've been an isolated incident.
                                                                    Oh well...at least it's just the one disc.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2008

I talked to Tom at Classe today and we were able to solve some of my problems.

As to the problem with the test tones, the AUX2 sub test tone now works fine but the SUB test tone does not. This is a complete mystery to everyone and so Tom is going to investigate further.
                                                                      I just lied to my SSP and told it I have 2 stereo subs, then activated the test noise, and it came out A2 and Sub, as each was selected--and as I moved the sub cable to each jack. So I cannot duplicate your symptoms. I am using a newer-than-released beta code, but I sorta doubt they tinkered with this since then.

One thing that has thrown me off is that I have to not just select the channel, but then diddle the gain trims to activate the noise for that channel. T'would be nice if it figured to turn on by itself when you select the channel...rather than forcing me to mis-cal to see if was already cal'd. Yes, I could wait for it to step thru the other channels, but it's a long wait. /end mini rant.

Tom cannot account for the discrepancy of 5 dB between the 2 rear levels using the test tones. Apparently there are at least 5 of us who have reported similar problems. Can anyone suggest a good test disc to use to check on this?
                                                                      Your post said >>(R=-5.5 db and L=+5 db)<< which is 10.5 dB discrepancy between them. SRT10-Viper reported equal levels in his surrounds, but both off by 5 dB (noise too low, causing speakers to play too loud). Is that your symptom--both at about 5dB off in the same direction? If so, then you are indeed a member of a very exclusive club.

For test discs, the most accessible is maybe a DVD with THX Optimode tones, like Monsters Inc or Pear Harbor. Or the new AIX test disc from Oppo, but its levels are all 10 dB higher, so they will read 85 dB rather than 75 dB at Vol=0 IIRC.

3. For proper post-processing (e.g. deriving the rear channels from a 5.1 disc), the player should be set to bitstream. Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music is the best Mode to use in my experience and should almost certainly be the default Mode for both 2-channel and multi-channel music. The same would probably apply to movies as well (I haven't tried it yet) with likely Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movies as the default. From my discussions with Tom, I am reasonably sure this bitstream setting is required to get the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio to work properly (using the DISCRETE mode) and to display properly on the Status screen.
                                                                      The 2.0 release code does not yet do PLIIx right, but the newer drops have it fixed. Then it can process any 5.1 signal, either bitstream or PCM, Dolby or DTS family. In your code, it only works for DD and TrueHD 5.1 bitstream sources. Doesn't work for DTS or PCM.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2008

Having the player decode was the only way to hear the full dynamics. Was initially aware of the Iron Man DRC situation, but since I don't remember reading about it here, I thought it might've been an isolated incident.
                                                                        Oh well...at least it's just the one disc.
                                                                        I'll nudge them to see if the Night mode button can be made to operate for TrueHD as well as DD.

Comment

• JoseS
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Nov 2009

I'll nudge them to see if the Night mode button can be made to operate for TrueHD as well as DD.
                                                                          Appreciate it.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

\
                                                                            Your post said >>(R=-5.5 db and L=+5 db)<< which is 10.5 dB discrepancy between them.
                                                                            my rear speakers have disparity similar to that. I have no idea why it is like that, but I don't go into the levels menu once it is set. out of sight out of mind.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2008
                                                                              • 173

#39
                                                                              Your post said >>(R=-5.5 db and L=+5 db)<< which is 10.5 dB discrepancy between them.

The "+5 db is a type. It should be +.5db for a discrepancy of 6dB. That is still a huge difference.

I tend to be of the "out of sight, out of mind school" so I suppose as long as it works...

Jim

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2008
                                                                                • 173

#40
                                                                                Tonight the OSD function disappeared. A reboot did not fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2008
                                                                                  • 446

#41
                                                                                  Tonight the OSD function disappeared. A reboot did not fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
                                                                                  None, really. If it stays dead, I'll swap with you. I want no OSD. :lol:

Just to make sure--it's still dead even if you push the Info button? And when you switch sources on the SSP, they show up on the main video screen?

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2008
                                                                                    • 173

#42
                                                                                    None, really. If it stays dead, I'll swap with you. I want no OSD. :lol:

Just to make sure--it's still dead even if you push the Info button? And when you switch sources on the SSP, they show up on the main video screen?
                                                                                    Hi,

I tried everything but still no OSD. The main video screen (I assume you mean the touchscreen panel on the SSP-800) seems to be fine.

There are certainly pros and cons to having the OSD and I have some sympathy with your position. Indeed, if pushed, that's probably the choice I would make (i.e. not to have it). However, it has it's uses, particularly this early in the learning curve for me. Of course, there is really no good excuse not to be able to turn it on and off as desired. Incidentally, the HOME screen never did appear on the OSD (TV) but apparently this is a known bug. I would hope that Classe can fix this soon so that we can all "have our cake and eat it too". I would have thought this would not be too terribly difficult to fix.

Also, perhaps it is my imagination but the overall volume level seems to have gone down as well. I will check on this further.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 3389

#43
                                                                                      Hi, I tried everything but still no OSD. The main video screen (I assume you mean the touchscreen panel on the SSP-800) seems to be fine. There are certainly pros and cons to having the OSD and I have some sympathy with your position. Indeed, if pushed, that's probably the choice I would make (i.e. not to have it). However, it has it's uses, particularly this early in the learning curve for me.
                                                                                      THe OSD cannot be turned off?

Of course, there is really no good excuse not to be able to turn it on and off as desired. Incidentally, the HOME screen never did appear on the OSD (TV) but apparently this is a known bug. I would hope that Classe can fix this soon so that we can all "have our cake and eat it too". I would have thought this would not be too terribly difficult to fix.
                                                                                      An other bug, whoa it is starting to sound like Windows OS, long was the time when you just could plug it in and play!!
                                                                                      Our lives are run by software....

Also, perhaps it is my imagination but the overall volume level seems to have gone down as well. I will check on this further. Jim
                                                                                      Oops sorry for all your trouble all this will be fixed with version 3.0

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 2299

#44
                                                                                        THe OSD cannot be turned off?

An other bug, whoa it is starting to sound like Windows OS, long was the time when you just could plug it in and play!!
                                                                                        Our lives are run by software....

Oops sorry for all your trouble all this will be fixed with version 3.0
                                                                                        no worries for you since you don't plan on buying the product.. you just like to disrupt those who have it.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 3389

#45
                                                                                          no worries for you since you don't plan on buying the product.. you just like to disrupt those who have it.
                                                                                          Who know what the future brings :B

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"