X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

CAP 2100 used as pre + biamp !!??

Hi,

I read in a German magiaine an interesting article. It was not tested for Classe, but for some others. The conclusion was:

An (amplifier + end amplifier) in horizontal biamping mode is much better than (pre + end amplifier) combo and worth the price difference of (amplifier - pre amp)!

So, use the CAP -2100 as pre-amp and amp for mid/high and buy CA-2200 for low frequency amp only. Worth $1500 difference, in stead of having the CP-500!

To me it sounds "true" and worthwhile investigating.

Any experience ??

Regards

Gerard
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hoi gerardhn,

you have in the magazine "Stereo" this article read?
    dit meet Rotel, Linn, marantz ,....???

groeten Style

Comment

• gerardhn
      • Jun 2005

Hi,

Yes I read it in that magazine.
      Actually, Iám surprized the idea isnot picked up by this audiophile forum.
      If for "only" 1500 more, which is not that much in the Classe investment area, you can get more sound.....

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

I would tend to agree - however the lack of the XLR output on the CAP2100 does kill the idea for me! No way I would be using the CA-2200 in single end mode..

Comment

• SoundEngine355
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by gerardhn
          Hi,

I read in a German magiaine an interesting article. It was not tested for Classe, but for some others. The conclusion was:

An (amplifier + end amplifier) in horizontal biamping mode is much better than (pre + end amplifier) combo and worth the price difference of (amplifier - pre amp)!

So, use the CAP -2100 as pre-amp and amp for mid/high and buy CA-2200 for low frequency amp only. Worth $1500 difference, in stead of having the CP-500!

To me it sounds "true" and worthwhile investigating.

Any experience ??

Regards

Gerard
          Whats speakers you running?

If your using a 3-way speaker then the CA-2200 could power the woofers and the CAP-2100 could power the tweeter/midrange. I believe it would be worth investigating if you have a 3-way with 8" or bigger woofers, the extra power would give you a better bass response.
          SoundEngine355

-------------------
          [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Alpha231
            • May 2008

Instead of purchasing a CA-2200, you can purchase a CA-2100. Classe offers a "strapping" kit which will allow you to safely bridge the CAP-2100 and CA 2100. The combination is designated as the CAP-2400 and will offer you 400x2! Look it up!

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi SE3555,

sorry but is really not a good utllization from a ca2100 with a CA2200...
              (-> a 100watt, classe don't is to sue with a Classe 200watt.)

well, that give you a sound, sure but the living time from this units go down ...

Classe for this use-mode say very clear: the same power from every frequenzy..!

but you can make is combination if your are satistafed....

Style

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"